So I've been using my strat-pack amp and guitar combo since August 2008. Methinks I could use an upgrade. I am currently considering three ways of doing this:

-Customizing the strat that I have (new pickups, maybe a new neck, new paint job, this will cost around $400 for what I want including installation)
-Buying a cheap Ibanez (I could get a new Gio model for about $70) and customizing that instead (still around $400 because of the pickup configuration)
-Replacing my amp (the strat pack I got had a G-Dec junior)

In a nutshell, I am generally metal/shred influenced, although recently I've been getting into guys like Guthrie Govan, Allan Holdsworth, and Tosin Abasi. My favorite guitarist is probably Petrucci though.

Anyone have any suggestions? My financial situation is quite limited as I recently bought a new car although thanks to my employment through GuitarCenter I get lovely discounts. I'm not willing to spend more than $500 but would really not like to spend much more than $250.
New amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
One other thing (if it matters). I generally play in Standard D or Drop C tuning, and I use 11 gauge D'addario Blues/Jazz strings.
I'd go with the fender Mustang III (best cheap modeler around IMO, it sounds pretty great) and an Ibanez RG 321mh , one of the best budget guitars around, and it's very good after a pickup swap in my opinion. If you HAVE to have a floyd rose, I'd get a used Kramer focus of some sort on ebay. can be had around 2-400 bucks, and all with have an OFR and be high quality. Just my .02
Quote by Eppicurt
New amp.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking Orange for the quality but the Mustang III is something I've fallen in love with at work lately.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Any recommendations? I'm thinking Orange for the quality but the Mustang III is something I've fallen in love with at work lately.

Depends how much you can get things for. But I'd say either Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV40, Vox Night Train or something in the Blackstar HT range.

A good amp can make an average guitar sound good but an average amp can't make a decent guitar sound good.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"