Poll: Which amplifier best suits my needs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amplifier best suits my needs?
Fender Mustang I
6 27%
Peavey Vypyr 15
14 64%
Marshall MG10KK
2 9%
Voters: 22.
I have seen good reviews on each amp, yet I am still a little skeptic. My budget is $100, and my style will be heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, the good metal bands, not the posers). This will be my first amp because I currently have an acoustic for the bare-bones basics. I hope to hit a Guitar Center (Kirkland, WA) soon to try the Fender and the Peavey out (MG10KK is not available at stores close to me). I did make a list of guitars to play, and I will base my guitar purchase on how it feels when I try the guitars out (I have 7 axes to try out Any ideas, preferably from those who have used the amps and play metal guitar. I have not seen any reviews on UG of the MG10KK...the review I am referring to of that amp is from Youtube. Feel free to suggest other amplifiers (as long as it fits my budget).
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 18, 2012,
Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Care to elaborate? I like the Mustang due to FUSE and the USB recording (the only mike I have is a Guitar Hero mike...) I like the Vypyr due to many positive experiences from others, and the MG10KK because of the distortion...
The Vypyr will slay both those amps for metal tones. (Can't seriously think why you like the MG10's distortion)

Yes the Mustang might have USB features, but at the end of the day it's the sound that matters and the Vypyr will provide with the best sound for your style.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Okay...Regarding the MG10KK distortion...it really gave the amp the 80's Bay Area thrash sound (to me at least, may be wrong...)I'll see other people's opinions (never base anything on one person's opinion...) Thank you for the prompt reply BTW.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

save up

your tone and your ears and those around you demand better

+1

You really want to get a 12" speaker for playing metal. I really like the Vypyr tones and absolutely hate the MG sound. I wouldnt even give it the .. well, I just dont care for it. Save up a bit and check for used deals around your area for the Vypyr 30, I think its a great 1st amp and highly recomend it. Eventually you will want to upgrade to a bigger better amp but it should hold you over for a while.
Okay... Vypyr it is...good thing there's a used 30w for $119 in Tacoma. I contacted the manager about the quality and if there is any damage.
get something bigger than an 8 inch speaker.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have an Marshall MG... the distortion is sooooo shitty. I would get the Vypyr or save up a bit more and get a Peavey bandit 112.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
The Bandit 112 is about as bad as the MG.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt

Not true IMO. I have a Marshall MG. Seriously it sucks.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Save up for a valveking, if possible.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Eppicurt

Smokin dem tweeds.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yup. But if the total price for amp + pedal is $250 or more, get another amp instead.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
yeah avoid the mg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm avoiding the MG and getting the Vypyr...sheesh. Could someone post settings for a good 80's Metallica (RTL/MOP) and Slayer Reign in Blood tone?