I picked up a used Fender american strat recently, and i might need to replace the bridge in the future. I was wondering which ones will be direct swaps without needing any modifications.

I was mainly interested in a Gotoh Wilkinson, so does anyone know if it will be a direct swap and also how does it compare to the Fender trems.

Thanks
Well you've left a bit of a gap of information with your question. What year is the guitar (& bridge). Assuming it's all original, which bridge is on it?

If you're interested in a Wilkinson, check out their website. They typically say what they're a match with -- and you can always email their Customer Service department to get a confirmation on it.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Those MIA Deluxe bridges are very nice. I am thinking of switching the bridge in my American Standard to it. Looks like it would be a drop-in replacement.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
well when i got it, it didn't come with a trem arm so i got a new fender american series tremolo arm. however when i try to put it in, it doesn't go in straight like the hole in the bridge is slanted and the arm won't go in all the way so i can't screw it. I think that the previous owner broke off the end of a trem arm in there. i don't know how to fix it so for the time being i'm just not using them trem. but i was thinking about just getting a new bridge all together in the future.
Quote by The 1
well when i got it, it didn't come with a trem arm so i got a new fender american series tremolo arm. however when i try to put it in, it doesn't go in straight like the hole in the bridge is slanted and the arm won't go in all the way so i can't screw it. I think that the previous owner broke off the end of a trem arm in there. i don't know how to fix it so for the time being i'm just not using them trem. but i was thinking about just getting a new bridge all together in the future.

Depending on how much money you don't mind wasting, it might be more frugal to figure out what's going on and fix it. The standard MIA trem should have a spring in that hole. Maybe that's long gone. You can get them on Amazon, from Darren Riley, or wherever. Sounds like you're probably just missing the spring. If the old bar was broken off in there, I'd think it would be obvious. If it is, you can drill into it and use an "easy out" screw remover to get it out.

It could be that everything is OK, but that you have a different thread in the trem compared to the bar. There may have been several varieties over the years. There certainly are lots for Squiers.

Lots of tiimes on my MIA Strat I just leave the bar off (and the hole taped up so I don't lose the spring), but push or pull on the bridge with my fingertips to get a subtle whammy effect. Similar to bending the neck.

Can't do that on my Squier, though, because I keep the springs tighter on that and the bridge stays flat on top (not floating). Plus it needs the bar popped from time to time to knock it back in tune after whammy use, extreme bends, and above the nut bends.