Ernie Ball and D'Addario, both .09-.42, same gauges.
are they in any way different? and is the difference huge or just minimal?
which one do you guys personally prefer?
or perhaps it doesn't really matter as long as they're .09-.42 gauges..?
No vs threads!

But, tonally D'Addarios over Ernie Ball, life Ernie ball over D'Addarios, playability Ernie Ball over D'Addarios. But thats just personal preference.
Dr
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I think I preferred D'Addario over Ernie Ball. But I preferred GHS over D'Addario. Now I think I prefer La Bella over GHS, simply because I can make myself a custom set.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I much prefer D'Addario over Ernie Ball. To me, they just feel and sound better.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Could care less. If theyre roundwound and not hexcore I am happy. Usually buy EB slinkys, but not really any reason behind it.
Ernie Ball for me. D'Addarios felt lackluster and tough in comparison.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The differences are subjective, for the most part.

Try them both, use what you like.

I like Blue Steels by Dean Markley, but can't guarantee you will. I've used a lot of EB's and they are fine as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I always preferred D'addario strings over Ernie Balls. They just sound and feel so much better.

Like everyone else said though, try both.
Wouldn't use Ernie Balls to hang a duck. D'addarios anyday. But it's all preference.
I prefer the feel and sound of EB way better. They have this distinct sonic quality to them that is kind of hard to describe...they feel a lot more transmittent.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Your better off asking about the string's high points and low points rather than just saying which is better. And then decide for yourself, because it's all about personal preference. Look up Elixir strings they are better than both!
D'addario intonate better than ernie ball in my experience, they're a little brighter though.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I've been playing guitar for 4 years, and I can't tell too much difference between D'Addario and Ernie Ball.
Maybe because of all the distortion I use

DA strings are slightly easier to slide on though and stay in tune on a Floyd better.

But I hear Ernie Ball are now selling cobalt strings, so that'll be interesting to try
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
For .09, I used Elixirs. I've since switched to .11 D'addario but as many people have already said it's a personal preference thing.
Obviously a mod hasn't seen this thread yet. There's still time!

d'addario
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Ernie Ball looses tone to quickly
Ernie Ball rusts too quickly

D'Addario keeps tone really well
D'Addario lasts a long time

At least that is my experience with the two, I love the D'Addario XL115's
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Ernie Balls all the way for me. I usually use GHS 11-48 though so.

In my experience though, I HATE the sound and feel of DD's as they just don't feel like every other string, which is what I like and what I'm use to, and they sound like a tin can, but they have a long life. But long life doesn't mean jack shit to me since I use 11's so those last a long ass time.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Jan 19, 2012,
I use D'Addario, simply because I've always used them and liked them. Tried Ernie ball, but they degrade pretty quickly. I've tried Elixirs and loved them, but I still prefer D'Addario, just my type of strings.
Neither

I prefer DR Strings over anything.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
These threads are stupid. People get different results with different string brands with different hands and have different preferences. So the point is totally moot.

Try a variety stick with whats best for YOU. I personally go for d'addario, they rarely break on me and i've found ernie balls do. Some people get the complete opposite YMMV
pointless thread.
D'addario, personally, sound better and last longer for me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I prefer camembert over cheddar, unless it's extra vintage cheddar, then I tend to want both equally as much. Camembert is a lot creamier with nicer and softer tone and texture, but extra vintage has that extra bite for when Im feeling a little bit frisky.

Try both and see which you like.

What a moot thread.
Quote by Phoenix V
I prefer camembert over cheddar, unless it's extra vintage cheddar, then I tend to want both equally as much. Camembert is a lot creamier with nicer and softer tone and texture, but extra vintage has that extra bite for when Im feeling a little bit frisky.

Try both and see which you like.

What a moot thread.

I like the Camenbert, it seems alot softer on my fingers. I will say the cheddar holds up alot longer though.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Personally i find extra vintage cheddar to be a bit too sharp.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Could care less. If theyre roundwound and not hexcore I am happy. Usually buy EB slinkys, but not really any reason behind it.

Just curious. Why dont you like hexcores?
What the hell!!!
Quote by JKHC
Obviously a mod hasn't seen this thread yet. There's still time!

I think they are on vacation or something...or dead......it took weeks (3 or 4 )for them to review a review I turned in on a axe they didn't have a review on and then said they couldn't find a pic for it and wanted me to send them one. At that point I got board with it.
What the hell!!!
I use both the diffrence is very minimal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Would there be a clear difference when I put a 24 nicke wounded D'addario string in a set of EB Super Slinky's (9-42).
I restringed my guitar today and I snapped the D string, being unable to find a place where they sell seperate EB strings, I considderd getting one from D'Addario, but would I notice this?
Last edited by DenHond at Oct 2, 2012,