Poll: Best out of the four?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best out of the four?
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
1 5%
ESP LTD KH-202
10 50%
Ibanez RG5EX1
6 30%
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
3 15%
Voters: 20.
Page 1 of 2
I have done some research and have come up with the four guitars in the poll.

Style: Metal (Big 4, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, non-poser/core bands)
Experience: This will be my second guitar (upgrading from a Hohner 3/4 size acoustic from when I was 9) I took lessons for 2 years before my instructor moved to Asia, I got bored, then I picked it up again the past October.
New or Used: Usually new, unless a used model is significantly better & is in excellent condition.
Home or Gig: Home, I'll get a better guitar in a year or so
Location: Closest Guitar Centers: Kirkland, Seattle, Lynwood, Tacoma (found a used Vypyr 30w for only $20 extra compared to a 15w model at the Tacoma store )
If you recommend a guitar outside the four in the poll, make sure it is available in either of those four stores (preferably Kirkland) and elaborate on why...
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 19, 2012,
for that price, your not going to beat a jackson. dk2's and dk2m's are all over the place, and have great trems.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i have an ibanez rg350ex and i love it. it's very similar to your third and fourth options. It has a good range of tones, good action, fast neck, stable tuning and whammy bar. I would recommend those, although I have not played the others.
Quote by EspTro
for that price, your not going to beat a jackson. dk2's and dk2m's are all over the place, and have great trems.

+1 if you can find one.

Quite frankly all the guitars you listed suck.
One is a hardtail too
The other ibbys have the edge 3, The kh has a FR special.

If you want an ibanez demand one with an edge zero 2.
Found a used DK2 at the Kirkland store, gotta contact the manager on condition, for the same price as the RG5EX1...yet why do the ones in the poll suck? Whaddya expect for $350-500 new? Also...side note, I found a Marshall 250 (MG250DFX 2x21) at the same store. Also, those Jacksons are WAY out of my price range, unless the used one is still available. I worry about the single coils though. I was hoping to add EMG actives.
You could get a new rg370/350 with a zero 2 bridge for that price.
Its got the exact same specs as the rg5ex1 and rg4 (no veneer top tho) and 100x better bridge.
No reverse headstock, but thats not important.

The edge 3 bridge is famous for failure, as is the FR special. Both cheaply made with weak metals.

My rg370 with edge 3 is fine so far, but I'd much rather have the zero 2 bridge.
Easier to adjust and much better materials, better stability.

I'd still buy the jackson if you can.

Also there are single coil emgs.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 19, 2012,
Can you post a link? I can't find the rg350/370 w/ zero 2...or were they replaced by the edge iii models?
please, whatever you do, dong get that marshall
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I PM'd you about this, but in what scenarios did the edge III and Fr specials fail?
Sounds like it needs a setup and def a new trem bar, ibanezrules.com will hook ya up with a bar.
But its better then anything else mentioned imo.
Quote by EspTro
please, whatever you do, dong get that marshall

Okay, vypyr it is...Lol'd at your sig... I did find a used 30w for $120 at the Tacoma and Kirkland stores. Can someone comment on the used Hellraiser?
Decent guitar. Emgs are 200$ a set so its a pretty good deal.
Ofr is definitely a good trem, solid QC by the koreans...
Give er a play.
Okay, on the EXTREME off chance that I don't click with the schecter or the dinky, and had to choose from the four listed, what should I choose? Note the emphasis on how unlikely this scenario is Also, I hope the hellraiser isn't one of the new ones with the 89 and 81tw...85/81 has worked for years and years, still works today.
Also, I got a ton of snow here, hope I can hit the store this weekend
Used rg520/550/560/570
MIJ, Great trem and excellent all arounder that goes for next to nothing on the used market. You really shouldn't be considering any other shred guitar on a budget.
If you cant find anything else, the rg5ex1.
Dont be a wuss, its -40 celcius and im going to work outside in 20 minutes.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

The edge 3 bridge is famous for failure, as is the FR special. Both cheaply made with weak metals.
Actually, the Special is renowned for being just about the only cheap Floyd that does stay in tune. The only 'cheap' parts of it are the saddles and sustain block (you'll never get a nice sustain block on a cheap guitar anyway). The important part, as far as tuning is concerned, is the base and its knife edges, and the FR Special has a steel base and edges.

OFR = made in Germany
FR-1000 = identical to the OFR in every way, but cast in Korea
FR Special = FR-1000 base with zinc saddles and block

The Edge 3 is a waste of money, but the Special is reliable. There's a great video done by Andertons of them testing various cheap double locking vibratos in real time and the ones that hold up best are an Epi with a FR Special and a Jackson with either an FR Special or 1000, I don't recall which (same base/edges either way). I myself have one guitar with an FR Special (seen about two years of use) and two with OFRs (one about six years old and well worn in, one basically brand new) and in all honesty in a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell the three bridges apart. The Special holds tune and feels as sturdy as the OFRs do.

However,
You could get a new rg370/350 with a zero 2 bridge for that price.
This is definitely the way OP should go, at least if they're going to get an Ibanez. All reports are that the Zero 2 is infinitely better than the Edge 3 in every regard.

That said, I voted the LTD because, obviously, I have personal experience with the FR Special and have found it is fantastic, plus I personally find the cheaper ESPs to be built a little better than the cheap Ibanezs (though granted, I've only owned one cheap Ibanez and only tried about six others).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the jackson is going to have a thinner neck along with a compound radius if im not mistaken. which is overall "better" (subjective) for shredding.

plus i just dont like schecter's quality....thats just me
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I'm a freshman in high school, I'm no wuss, but my mom is
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
My bad, seems overpriced for what you get in the ltd anyways.

You can upgrade to EMG actives, quite a lot of room in the control cavity for the battery, someone has pics of it on ESP forums...Also, no MIJ guitars available at Kirkland.
Quote by MrFlibble

OFR = made in Germany
FR-1000 = supposedly identical to the OFR in every way, but cast in Korea and manages to be noticeably not as nice and not made as well
FR Special = FR-1000 base with zinc saddles and block

better
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the bit i changed in his original post
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to have to agree with the Jackson statement. I found my DKMG for $450 used, But there was absolutely no scratches, fret wear or bridge wear. If your patient, You'll find the right one.
Quote by DKDinky
I'm going to have to agree with the Jackson statement. I found my DKMG for $450 used, But there was absolutely no scratches, fret wear or bridge wear. If your patient, You'll find the right one.

I found one for $400 used at Lynwood GC
RG4EXQM1 is a great guitar imo
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
Does the RG470 have a good trem? I found one used for $200 at Seattle GC.
I also found a used KH-502 at Tacoma GC. One other thing, could I request a used item be shipped to a store close to me (Kirkland) if the item is not near me?
^ unless it's a very specific year (2003 i think? ) the 470 doesn't have a good trem. which is a pity, because it's a good guitar apart from the trem

Quote by coolstoryangus
screw mij jackson there trem sucks
rg550/570 etc

+1

or at least the bolt-on ones. teh newer neck-thrus have teh frt-x000 which is serviceable, though i'd still rather have an edge on an ibanez.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Seriously that ebay link I added is the best bet.
Its well worth the hassle of having to get a bar.

which is not even a hassle, u go to GC or Samash, u tell them to order you one from Ibanez direct, give it a week. $15
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ unless it's a very specific year (2003 i think? ) the 470 doesn't have a good trem. which is a pity, because it's a good guitar apart from the trem

+1

or at least the bolt-on ones. teh newer neck-thrus have teh frt-x000 which is serviceable, though i'd still rather have an edge on an ibanez.

The earlier late 80s/early 90s 470s had an edge as well i believe. They changed to that lo-trs monstrosity in around 94 when they moved to korea the earlier japan ones had an edge. The later japan ones apart from one year which i think you mentioned have a lo trs..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 19, 2012,
^ yeah

i didn't realise about the earlier ones, but that's probably right. if there was a 470 before 1994 or whenever the exact date the lo-trs came out then it presumably had an edge too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They probably do. The problem is that nobody has the new ones yet and are still selling the older RGs with edge 3s. Ntm click on the rg370, it clearly says edge 3 and only 1 of 3 current models have the new zero 2. The roadster orange metallic 370.

I'd seriously consider the ebay guitar. In fact if I had the $$ I would buy it myself.
Page 1 of 2