I have a question that has been on my mind a lot lately and I would like to hear as many views on the subject as I can. So basically I want to know how you guys go about hitting the right amount of strings when strumming? So if I were to play an open Cmaj chord I obviously wanting to be picking from the 5th string down. Now for years I have been using the muting the 6th string with my thumb method and just striking all 6 strings, but am I getting into a bad habit by not training my hand to pick the strings I want without relying on muting? I have been playing for years and am really trying to clean up my playing now and undo a lot of bad technique I have, and it seems to me that not being able to hit the strings I want when strumming is sloppy playing. I find it really hard to not hit all 6 strings when playing a a Cmaj chord for example, especially when I am strumming at fast tempos and playing more complex rhythms. So my question is how many of you out their rely on muting with your thumb, and how many do not? And has anyone else experienced this problem with their strumming?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I mute unless I'm playing gentle stuff or stuff that's on the top couple of strings :P If I'm playing some fast rock that requires me to look like I'm actually enjoying it there's really no choice but to mute the extra strings
So my question is how many of you out their rely on muting with your thumb, and how many do not? And has anyone else experienced this problem with their strumming?

Honestly, the best thing to do is mute and try not to hit those strings. Nearly no-one is actually precise enough to never hit the low E 100% of the time, and it's much much easier to mute it. You can also mute it with the tip of the ring finger.
Quote by Freepower
Honestly, the best thing to do is mute and try not to hit those strings. Nearly no-one is actually precise enough to never hit the low E 100% of the time, and it's much much easier to mute it. You can also mute it with the tip of the ring finger.

I played with muting for years, and then I started seeing a guitar teacher who insisted I play with my thumb behind the neck at all costs and I be able to strum the correct amount of strings without muting, which got me thinking. I can manage to do it with slow tempo pieces, but when I have to strum really fast its next to impossible.

Another thing that got me thinking was I can hit the strings I want when I am doing string skipping on single notes, say if i wanted to pick from the 2nd string and back to the 5th string I can easily go back and forth without looking, wouldn't that be the same principle to some degree?

Anyway its encouraging to hear I am not alone when it comes to having to mute, I was thinking it may have been down to bad technique. Id still be interested to hear if there is anyone that can pull this off without muting.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Another thing that came to mind is how do you approach hitting chords from the 4th string down where you cant use your thumb to mute? do you use the tip of your finger to mute the 5th string or just try your best to avoid it?
I practiced a lot with the 5 and 4 string chords.Eventually I reached a point where I can strum them without looking and manage not to hit the lower strings almost 95% of the time.I suggest you do the same.Try it at slower tempos and speed up later.

Another thing is to be conscious about your right hand.Even if you are headbanging and strumming as hard as possible,always be aware about the distance your hand has to travel across the strings.Keep it in a fixed place.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.