Hi guys.
I just got a hold of a new Prs Se Torero equipped w/ the Floyd Rose 1000 series tremolo system. Now the problem is, the guitar tends to go out of tune(goes flat) upon use of the tremolo; which is bothering me a lot. so any suggestions on what i can do to keep the guitar from going out of tune & stay tuned perfectly? & yes, the locking nuts are tightened all the way. & i haven't changed the strings, still got the factory strings on it.
Change strings. Intonate. Do some other shit.

Honestly, take it to a techy
Check the Floyd set up thread. Until you change strings, there's no way to know if anything is actually wrong with the bridge - the strings on there at the moment could simply be old or weren't stretched properly or all sorts. Starting over with a fresh set of strings is the only way you can start to diagnose what may be wrong with a Floyd.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ yeah

actually first thing to do is stretch in the strings that are on there already. that might fix it. and if it does you've saved yourself a fair bit of bother.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
guys, it's been 2 weeks that i have put on new strings. but the problem persists.
i have noticed if i give the bridge a little nudge by pulling it up a tad bit, it comes back to tune. so my guess is indeed the bridge isnt in the ideal position or doesnt return to the position required to stay in tune, after i do a dive or pull up. so what can i do? please help.
more specifically, how do i make the bridge more 'rigid'? like the edge zero for example. i played one of those and found it to be quite rigid & stays in tune perfectly.
i think the edge zero has a stabiliser built into it

you could buy something like a tremsetter but that might be cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer

if i were you i'd post in the floyd info thread (should be in the list of stickies). pulling up and going back into tune suggests something, but i forget what
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the bridge level? Sounds like what you're describing is an unlevel bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sound like you need just a tiny,tiny bit more tension on the springs, If the bridge looks level and is going flat with use and going back in tune with a slight pull-up. That's if all the strings go out of tune roughly the same amount, if it's just a few strings it could be the nut slipping.
Change strings, springs, try locking harder, intonate, tune, adjust spring tension, change saddles or tremolo itself, or else
thanks you guys, appreciate all that response.

@Way Cool JR. --yes, you've got it spot on. & it is indeed all strings by the SAME amount; although the G string a little more. so, what do you reckon i should try next?

& yes, the bridge does seem level to me more or less. but yea, i was thinking of trying to level it a little further; tighten the screws in the back to sink the bridge down a wee bit.
Just one word of caution when setting up. If you decide to adjust the action on the guitar, aside from getting the trem to function, DO NOT rotate the studs when the strings are under tension.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
add springs

Then be sure that the floyd is parallel to the strings. I do it with a ruller to be sure

To do that, you have screws in the back of the guitar, adjust them, retune the instrument, repeat until you are in tune and the floyd is parallel. You'll stay in tune this way

don't forget to do the intonation also, it helps a lot!
@T00DEEPBLUE - could you please elaborate? which studs, the ones at the back w/ the springs? & what do you mean by 'strings are under tension'? now i'm too paranoid to try anything.

@t1mman - i've already got 3 springs in there, do i really need more?
The two posts the floyd sits against?

Anyway I reckon they're grooved for some reason, the floyd is needing parts and no amount of string farting about or levelness will cure that, you need to get new posts but they're cheap and just screw in.
The only other small possiblity is that the nut is moving but that's only a small chance. You can get the posts from stewmac or if the guitar is new take it back and tell them to sort it under warranty.
And no you don't need more springs unless you want to use a reasonably heavy string gauge.
Last edited by Twidler at Feb 2, 2012,
The bridge posts. What the bridges action is raised/lowered by. Remove string tension or risk ruining the bridges knife edge. Of course dipping the bar is the easiest way to do that...
But dont worry about that now. Tighten the screws in the back a wee bit. Go in very small turns 1/4 should be good and retune after.
People have already said the best advices, but I'd like to say that yeah, definitely add springs and you might want to oil the posts etc.
Check out these places

and these

either both or one of them is knackered.

However if you really want the best cure then replace the trem with an original floyd, anything less is a bit pants in comparison.
from what i can see [without taking the bridge apart].. the knife edge & trem posts look ok. pretty much identical to the pic above. of course the view is very limited. but the guitar was purchased fresh & intact so how likely is it to come w/ worn out knife edges & trem posts?

& here's someone i quote:My 87 USA Jackson came with a OFR and it has the JT-6 studs like yours so it could be original.
And no it won't hurt anything to adjust the posts under tension. I have done it that way for 25 years and never been a problem.

so what is true? :S

anyway, i had meddled with the posts ONCE cause i was having high E string buzz. however i did that WELL AFTER the tuning issue; which's been there since the purchase.
Last edited by corneliuswolfe at Feb 2, 2012,
have you checked the nut? Make sure it's not moving, it's either a problem with the trem or the nut, there's not much else there as you know. Like you I've been messing with these trems for a long time too but whenever I've found the problem you're having it's been the knife edges, posts or the nut not tight.
I think if you took those posts out you'd probably find there's a slight groove and the knife edge is catching but even if you can't see it they're cheap enough to just replace.
The one in the pics there is an original floyd, it's funny because it seems a bit mank but it just never goes out ever.
Wow there's a lot of bad/typical suggestions in this

If the bridge is going out of tune by a set amount across all the strings, and you can fiddle with the bar in a certain direction to get it back into tune it's definitely the posts and/or knife edges. Try cleaning the contact points as a little grudge will cause it to hang up premature of being back in tune. If that doesn't help then try a bit of chapstick on the edges.

The best way to get the chapstick into the contact point is to put a bit on the posts, then turn them so the chapstick passes into the knife edge, then reset back to where you had it if the new 'barely higher action' is a concern.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
honestly, start from square one. get a new set of strings, put them on one by one (i always cross string and cross tune floyds this should be known by all). you have new strings strung,

then open the ultimate floyd thread and follow directions exactly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
guys, today i did some 'screw tightening' at the back & voila! tuning stability is rock solid! thus far it is withstanding all sorts of dives & coming back in tune!

however there is one problem which i didn't mention before is when i pull UP the tremolo.

well, before it used to mess up the tuning well and proper & go quite sharp. i'd have to do some dives & they'd come down to that 'certain point' little below perfect pitch.

well now the problem is: when i do pull ups the strings go sharp when i leave the trem. i have to do some dives to bring back to perfect tune. takes a few good dives at that.

but this is a minor problem as i barely ever need to pull up. but still, i'm guessing BRIDGE LEVELNESS is quite essential for perfect tuning stability. so should i meddle w/ the screws again? i mean, i am happy & dont wanna risk messing it up all over. :S

& once again, guys thanks a lot for all the response. you lot have been very helpful.
It almost sounds like you're describing a Kahler trem in that last post haha, in a Kahler that's a major design flaw and you always have to divebomb to get the strings back in tune.

I still think it sounds like a knife edge problem to be honest. You might be able to correct it by throwing another spring onto the Floyd and getting a bit more stiffness, so it pulls itself back to correct pitch a bit more than with the current spring setup.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Knife edge and posts, if it's still going out of tune it's not fixed, you should be able to go full forward til the strings are slapping about and it should return to tune and if you pull right the way to the stop and let go it should be back in tune, no exceptions, anything else isn't fixed.

New strings can make a difference but when they've had it they tend to go more randomly out of tune like maybe one or two, if the whole lot go sharp or flat using the whammy it's knife edges or post or both, always is.
What you need to do is remove the trem, then check the studs to see if they are loose. They should screw in fairly tight, if not you can wrap a small amount of teflon tape around the threads then screw them back in. Worse case scenario is there is a crack in the body where the studs are mounted, I´ve seen a few of these and if that is the case take your guitar back and get a new one because trying to repair that is not worth it.
Last edited by sstony at Feb 5, 2012,
How long have you had the guitar? Take it back to the shop if it's still within the return policy, or demand that the shop sets it up for you. Usually a new guitar purchase includes a setup, at least with the few guitars I've bought new did
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60