So I have played guitar for a while, but really haven't messed with effects much until recently. I'm thinking about getting a pedalboard, but frankly am not sure I see the point. From what I can tell, they (can) do two things:

1. Organize all your pedals and shorten setup time by having them all in the board already
2. Potentially have built-in power to power all of your pedals.

So, I'm trying to understand why I shouldn't just buy something like the OneSpot with the chained power for way less money, and just deal with the extra two minutes it would take me to set up my pedals at shows. Just getting the OneSpot package is like $30, and the cheapest pedalboards are like $60 (and I'm guessing not great), so that doesn't really make sense to me.

Am I missing something?
Because pedals stick to the board and it's easier to carry. Who wants to carry an arm full of pedals when you could have them all in one place ready to go.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
If you only have two pedals sure, not much point but have more than three and those extra minutes it takes every gig , not to mention losing patch cables all the time, wears pretty thin pretty quick.
I went one step further and said, "to hell with pedals" and went rack.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Another purpose of the board is to stop the pedals moving around. Before I built my board I just had the pedals on the floor. If I accidentally knocked one the whole lot would move about, come unplugged, all manner of annoying things.

Also you don't need to buy a purpose built pedal board. I made mine out of an IKEA Gorm shelf, which I painted and stuck velcro to. It's all powered by a OneSpot. Cost me about £7 total and works perfectly.

Easier/faster to set-up and if you just have your pedals on the ground they can easily be yanked around.
I'm making one atm out of pine with recesses routed out to fit each pedal so they don't move around. It's getting a regulated power supply built into it too.
I'll still be using a rack for gigs but for screwing around at home (and probably for harp) I don't want pedals strewn all over the shop.

If making one for gigging it's wise to have a locking lid on it too. People steal pedals at gigs all the time but an entire pedal board won't fit into a pocket so it gets left alone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I normally had my own sound guy. I hated me, I didn't care about how much he hated waiting, he worked for me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Sampy
Another purpose of the board is to stop the pedals moving around. Before I built my board I just had the pedals on the floor. If I accidentally knocked one the whole lot would move about, come unplugged, all manner of annoying things.

Also you don't need to buy a purpose built pedal board. I made mine out of an IKEA Gorm shelf, which I painted and stuck velcro to. It's all powered by a OneSpot. Cost me about £7 total and works perfectly.

+1 to the Gorm idea. I have done this as well. The only difference to the one in the picture that I did to mine was install some nice stainless steel handles that I also got from Ikea for easy pick up and carry.
I made my own board with scrap wood and power it with a one spot that has 5 plugs.

I've heard stuff about those voodoo pedal lab power supplies being better or something. I dunno, the one spot seems fine.
Quote by BlackVoid
I made my own board with scrap wood and power it with a one spot that has 5 plugs.

I've heard stuff about those voodoo pedal lab power supplies being better or something. I dunno, the one spot seems fine.

They are better, because they're isolated power supplies, which means you don't get additive noise or excess current draw from one pedal.

I like my OneSpot, power strip and IKEA Gorm board just fine as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Everybody else has said very good reasons why pedalboards are good. If you have more than 3 pedals and you constantly play places they're easier and safer to carry on a board than in a bag. Plus when the pedals are stationary, the patch cables are stationary so they'll last a pretty good while. Before I bought a board I had to constantly buy cables.
its ok if you just have 3 or less pedals but some people gig with 10 or 15 pedals then its just annyoing to carry them and all the cables around individually
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
not a huge point but they can help with people stealing your stuff at a gig
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Thanks, everybody. I'm using four pedals, not including the one that controls my amp's presets. I think I'm going to forgo buying a pedalboard and take the suggestion to try making one on my own.

here is mine. 3/4" plywood with another 3/4" around the bottom with feet. i had the fabric sitting around from when i was re-doing some car interiors. glued it on (3M spray adhesive), and screwed the top of my power supply on the back left corner.

things will be reveclroed down once i figure out where every thing else goes again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/