I know it's a good idea, I'm a guitarist and should expand my horizons to other instruments to improve my writing.

Anyways, how hard would it be to learn bass if I can play guitar? I'd imagine the picking would be the hardest part, since the notes are the same for the most part (4 string basses go EADG, right?)

Also, is this a decent bass? http://musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1015394

And what kind of amp would I need? All I want to do is practice and eventually get into home recording on all instruments (going to learn drums eventually too.)

Thanks a bunch, sorry for my ignorance =\
It is easy to pick up for yourself and some home recording. The hardest part of switching to bass is playing with other people because, no matter how tight and on time you think you are on guitar, you're not at all compared to a decent bass player or drummer. It's not much of an issue for recording some home demos to a click track.
Im looking to do the opposite (buying a guitar in order to home record/improve my bass playing/grasp a better idea of melody/learn another instrument) and to me its this simple:

If you love music, learning another instrument can only be a good thing,and improve any band situation/make you more versatile/useful in a band

Im glad as a guitarist you're taking an interest in bass,not just dismissing it, as stated,it can only improve your rhythm and timing,and the thing to remember is the learning curve is totally different, you'll probably be able to follow root notes,and chug along in no time,whilst I guess it take longer to grasp chord structure on guitar,but when it comes to more complex techniques, such as slapping,tapping, counter melody, harmonics, leads/solos etc, thats when bass a) comes into its own and b) suddenly gets a lot harder than guitar (imo)

also,remember the electric bass is a very young instrument, the guitar has been around for centuries, the electric fretted bass came about in about 51 ish? (correct me if Im wrong forumers) and as such, it's still being exprimented upon, this makes it very exciting and versatile, but if you wanna be a bassist, dont expect to be in the spotlight in the band situation, but remembe,r you will be damn important in that said situation
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Skippy you are more or less right, I can't pull a date out of my ass, but I know for sure Leo's "precision" bass was the first fretted bass enabling precise intonation when played.

Basically it was a long chain of events, orchestras and bands, Jazz brought about night clubs full of musicians playing to get the piece of music heard. Along the way instruments such as the guitar become more and more the forefront of music, and to make them louder the Dobro company made reso guitars enabling a better projection at the cost of a not so standard tone.

While Companies like Rickenbacker, Gibson, Martin all had a dabble in the Electric guitar. During those war years though guitar found popularity in Polynesian music, so Rickenbacker first paddle looking guitar was really meant for those Hawaiian slide songs.

Fenders mass production dreams combined with his original and novel designs fit perfectly in the country>Rockabilly>Rock and Roll climates of the 50's and 60's.

The problem Leo and countless musicians found was that The Big double bass was essential to most forms of popular music, but was big bulky, and very quiet compared to fenders hot new guitars.

Leo was from california and on trips to and around Mexico noticed mariachis playing their big Guitarron's sideways like a guitar but still much too large and cumbersome for hip shaking rock n roll. So he set to work on making an instrument that could be heard, carried and played like a guitar, thus the Precision or "P" bass in it's first single coil slap form with a tele head stock was born, and started the bass "guitar" revolution.

Whew.
Quote by askrere
Skippy you are more or less right, I can't pull a date out of my ass, but I know for sure Leo's "precision" bass was the first fretted bass enabling precise intonation when played.

Actually, while the Precision was the first popular and widely used fretted bass guitar, the credit for inventing the first fretted bass guitar goes to Paul Tutmarc, who invented his "Electronic Bass Fiddle" (which was both fretted and solid-body) in the '30s.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
on topic again, I recently (well little less than a year I guess) switched completely from guitar to bass and what kept me motivated was an artist, marcus miller. One important thing would be to have something to draw enough motivation from to pull it through. Marcus miller was enough motivation for me to learn double thumbing, yet I can't play straight 8ths with the usual fingertechnique as I just dont have enough motivation to learn it haha

About songwriting, it actually amde it harder for me as I come up with incredible basslines that are too complex for me to fit any kind of lead over it, though the actual problem is my lack of theory.

So, what I suggest is that before you go spend money on a bass+amp, you better ask some friends to lend you one of their old basses (worked fine for me) and then concentrate not on technique but on theory. That is of course if your songwriting is your primary motivation.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻