so, right now i'm running a 5150 II with a few pedals in my band.

i'm interested in the hd500, mainly for the ability to make presets and the amount of effects packed into it for live purposes only. i wouldnt record with it, i value my pedal tone too much!

my question is, is there a way i can bypass my 5150's preamp and use the hd500 for my clean channel, but still use the amp's lead channel? i want to be able to do all this without using the amp footswitch, just the hd500. i have no experience with this, so any help or suggestions that don't exceed $500 would be appreciated.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
well with my GT10 you can 4 cable, can you 4 cable a pod?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
seems like it would work, its just all in how i create the presets and set the diff output selections. cool! thanks guys

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Hold on!

You still there?

Alright, this is what happened: boss has announced the GT100. Which is supposedly better than anything else out there. So... If I were you, I'd wait a couple more weeks before buying a pedal. Link to announcement!
Oh, and Line 6 should make an incredible announcement this Namm, so there's more to come from there...

Also: 4cable method works just fine on the HD500, I use it every day. You can use the preamps of the pod, or the preamp of your current amp. But, some preamps will sound like sh*t in combination with your poweramp, some will sound great.

Cheers!
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
basically all im trying to accomplish by doing this is the amount of tap dancing i do live.

id prob set up the presets as follows:
1: bypass (straight 5150 lead channel)
2: clean w/ a bit of verb
3: clean with verb and delay
4: clean with much more verb and delay ( mainly for volume swells,violin sounds)
5: just delay
6: maybe a boost for leads?

and thats about all i use live right now. but at least this way im not clicking multiple pedals when i switch tones. just one, and maybe tap tempo for certain delay parts

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack