Hey guys, hope this is in the right forum but well. Was wondering if you guys could help me figure out how to get my guitar to sound the way I want it.
I have found some sound on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9P9V9Sjdg (The clean in the beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWPRWFN9g4 (Kirks intro solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H36BpCe3zs
And if you listen to the last one, listen to when he plays the low E string, it's kinda punchy and clean. When I play it on my guitar that sting always sound bassy and muddy and haven't got that punch at all.
Want to add that I have a LTD KH-602 with EMG81&60 Neck-through and out-of-the-box ESP strings, and that is a great guitar, and for amp I have an old Marshall JCM602 combo.
Could it be my strings that need replacement or could it be my amp that doesn't give the sound i want?
Thankful for any answers, only serious ones though xD
-Kemo
New strings certainly do sound much punchier. I also think that they use a lot of Chorus on their cleans, so that could well add to the 'punch'
For Kirk, just pick up a Chorus pedal, have your amp on the verge of breaking up with the clean channel, scoop the mids somewhat. The same applies to the first videos.

As for the last one, you going to have a really hard time with your current guitar. The Gibson he is using the in video is made of Mahogany witch is a darker wood then what's used in the KH. He also has a lot of low end, but really low-low end. It goes into the sub-woofer range, but then drops off the higher you go in the frequencies.
Ah thanks for fast replies! I do have a TC Electronix Corono Chorus pedal that I'm using, and indeed it does sound much better, but it still haven't got the punch. So I though of switching my strings to some Ernie Ball ones, got any tips on what gauge I should use?

And Ghold125, what do you mean by "have your amp on the verge of breaking up with the clean"?
Quote by Kemolye
Ah thanks for fast replies! I do have a TC Electronix Corono Chorus pedal that I'm using, and indeed it does sound much better, but it still haven't got the punch. So I though of switching my strings to some Ernie Ball ones, got any tips on what gauge I should use?

And Ghold125, what do you mean by "have your amp on the verge of breaking up with the clean"?

Well, increase the gain of the clean channel a bit, and you'll know what Ghold125 means. Adding a little bit of volume as well helps too, if you can do this.

I wouldn't go for Ernie Ball ones, but if you like them, go for it. You probably want 10s if you want some added thickness instead of 9s.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Turn down the bass, increase mids and add a bit of treble. Maybe add an overdrive pedal on very low gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
just set all your eq's on your amp to 12 o'clock (5 if its out of 10) and adjust from there, dont copy tone find your own (that rhymed accidentally )
Also, I was reading a KH interview a long time ago and somewhere in there he said that even for his high gain stuff, he runs his amps clean and gets all his dirt out of the pedals. He said for their set up, it cuts through the mix way better than if he runs dirt out of the amp. He also said that for his lightning fast runs, it allows for more clarity and note separation. I don't know what pedals he uses but I'm sure they're top notch and that probably has something to do with it.