Page 1 of 2
Ohaithar pit.

So I was thinking about this today...

Do suits actually look smart, the way they fit etc

Or... Is it our perception of them and the fact that we've grown to recognise them as smart, formal clothing?

TL;DR Do suits actually look smart or do we just perceive them to be smart
Check out my fitness blog here
Isn't it the same thing, really?
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by maiden_man_666
Ohaithar pit.

Or... Is it our perception of them and the fact that we've grown to recognise them as smart, formal clothing?

Silly thread is silly. The only way an inanimate object can be seen as smart is if we perceive it as such. This is inevitably due to societal norms.
Well we are all influenced by symbols and their meaning. Suits represent business, work, formality etc.
If there is a science behind I sure as hell am not looking for it >_<
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Isn't the fact that we perceive something as being smart essentially what makes it smart?
West Ham United
They're classy, not smart. You can wear a well-fitted suit ad look good, but still be an obvious cretin. Clothes don't represent intelligence.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Thats deep

No it isn't. Basically you're asking if inherent coolness is built in some objects
Quote by DonGlover
They're classy, not smart. You can wear a well-fitted suit ad look good, but still be an obvious cretin. Clothes don't represent intelligence.

I don't think people mean "intelligent" when they describe clothes as smart.
Suits are the secret metaphorical archetypes of an esoteric world-mystery religion hell bent on implementing universal presentability at formal occasions.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by DonGlover

minus points for thinking smart relates to intelligence
suits r dumb lol
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by King Donkey
Isn't the fact that we perceive something as being smart essentially what makes it smart?

/thread

If you were to ask if suits were inherently awesome, the answer would be yes.
Long story short, suits are super badass.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by MadClownDisease
I don't think people mean "intelligent" when they describe clothes as smart.

Sorry, I'm not used to hearing people use the word smart in the wrong context...
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by DonGlover
Sorry, I'm not used to hearing people use the word smart in the wrong context...

I don't think you're used to hearing it at all.
Quote by DonGlover

I thought using smart as a term to describe something as being stylish was well established.
West Ham United
Quote by DonGlover

Except it is in the right context... "smart" can be used to describe clothing and outfits.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
everything in life is based in our perception. moot question
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I don't think you're used to hearing it at all.

WAAAHEEEYYY
Quote by King Donkey
I thought using smart as a term to describe something as being stylish was well established.

I noticed everyone that pointed it out was from the UK or Australian. I don't think it's a common descriptor in North America, or at least in Canada.
A SIGNATURE.
Quote by Acϵ♠
everything in life is based in our perception. moot question

Untrue. Reimer has set down a clear set of morals for humanity to follow in order to achieve salvation in the form of the almighty silver cup.
I've often thought the same thing myself. Hmm. There's probably something in the symmetry and the angles that makes it smarter. The neatness or something. Psychology dissertation for someone?
Quote by Reagar
I've often thought the same thing myself. Hmm. There's probably something in the symmetry and the angles that makes it smarter. The neatness or something. Psychology dissertation for someone?

That's what I mean, are suits visually pleasing to the eye or not?

Because most people in this thread are all "HERP DERP IT DOESNT MAKE U MORE CLEVERER"
Quote by Reagar
Compositionally suits are more sharp and neat than a tshirt. Furthermore, over time the colours usually found in a suit (black, white) are associated with serious events and have been for some time. Lastly, suits are more expensive than casual clothes and have often been worn by those high in position. As such, we have been conditioned to think of them as smart in these various ways.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I think to a degree suits can help tell you about a person. EX: Wearing a suit to an important job interview. Show up, well pressed, groomed, shoes shined shows commitment. Showing up in a jacket with dog hair on it, unpressed pants and a shirt, poorly knotted tie, dirty scuffed up shoes, shows a lack.
Last edited by Firaga at Jan 19, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Untrue. Reimer has set down a clear set of morals for humanity to follow in order to achieve salvation in the form of the almighty silver cup.

that was true before Lucifer's Dwarf assistant Gionta attempted to take the heavenly reins from Reimer, and partially succeeded. All absolute divinity now belongs to Emery, though he will step aside should Reimer make his move to regain the seat at the throne of holiness.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Reagar

Could be on to something with the symmetry. It's proven we prefer symmetrical faces, due to the fact that, during development, bacteria and such can affect our facial features, and therefore the symmetry of our faces. (e.g. having one eye slightly smaller than the other.) Since this then shows a sign of vulnerability to infection, we are not deemed good enough to pass our genes on, since we will pass on imperfect genes.

Perhaps, this idea is also passed on to our clothing (in modern day views on attraction, the way we dress is usually important). Since a suit is designed to fit our bodies well, if we have a symmetrical figure, we are showing that off when we wear a suit. But then most suits have a chest pocket on one side, so... *shrugs*

Sorry, Psychology has flooded my brain for the exam I had today.

Also, it could just as easily be the fact that they're usually a lot more expensive than jeans and a t-shirt, so people in suits seem to be richer, and therefore, most likely more intelligent due to a better paid job. Excluding most celebrities, as modern celebrities are all damn idiots. But then the fact they're richer is probably enough to make them seem better than most people.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by TheKraken
Could be on to something with the symmetry. It's proven we prefer symmetrical faces, due to the fact that, during development, bacteria and such can affect our facial features, and therefore the symmetry of our faces. (e.g. having one eye slightly smaller than the other.) Since this then shows a sign of vulnerability to infection, we are not deemed good enough to pass our genes on, since we will pass on imperfect genes.

Perhaps, this idea is also passed on to our clothing (in modern day views on attraction, the way we dress is usually important). Since a suit is designed to fit our bodies well, if we have a symmetrical figure, we are showing that off when we wear a suit. But then most suits have a chest pocket on one side, so... *shrugs*

Sorry, Psychology has flooded my brain for the exam I had today.

Also, it could just as easily be the fact that they're usually a lot more expensive than jeans and a t-shirt, so people in suits seem to be richer, and therefore, most likely more intelligent due to a better paid job. Excluding most celebrities, as modern celebrities are all damn idiots. But then the fact they're richer is probably enough to make them seem better than most people.

This is what I was thinking, after doing a little research I've found that formal wear in different cultures varies dramatically, for example in the Philippines men wear the Barong Tagalog:

notice the symmetry and tight fitting?

In traditional Chinese dress they wear the Changshan:

Which again seems to be tightly fitting around the shoulders with straight lines of symmetry.
I don't picture them as smart. But a great fitting suit and shirt does make the person look like they care about their appearance. Because it obviously takes effort to have a suit, shirt and tie that not only fits you properly and uses the right colors.
Quote by maiden_man_666
Ohaithar pit.

A well tailored dark blue blazer will forever remain the most classic item in fashion, and has been so since its inception.

Anyone with the slightest clue on fashion will agree.

Some things are just timelessly and effortlessly beautiful and cool. Like a wel fitted blazer, a nice pair of oxfords or a white shirt.
Last edited by DJ Safari at Jan 19, 2012,
You just asked whether completely subjective visual appearance is actually smart? By that key we could go around the world, and judge other culture's "smart" clothes as totally unappropriate for "smart" purposes.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Last edited by Guodlca at Jan 19, 2012,
Quote by maiden_man_666
This is what I was thinking, after doing a little research I've found that formal wear in different cultures varies dramatically, for example in the Philippines men wear the Barong Tagalog:

notice the symmetry and tight fitting?

In traditional Chinese dress they wear the Changshan:

Which again seems to be tightly fitting around the shoulders with straight lines of symmetry.

The Changshan is a traditional dress, not a formal one.

The Barong really is a formal item though. And a hideous one at that.
Quote by Guodlca
You just asked whether completely subjective visual appearance is actually smart?
Like, the suit has DNA and it's smart?

Were those questions?
Quote by maiden_man_666
Were those questions?

Partly. Edited the post anyway.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Page 1 of 2