I don't make a whole hell of a lot of threads, but there's a term I can't remember and it's bothering the piss out of me.

It's a technique used in literature or film intending to incite feelings of jealousy in the reader, for example, having a character cheat on their spouse.

I've Googled and Googled and come up with nothing, but I'm almost certain I've heard a term for this before.

Does anyone know?
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
that it was just creating Conflict? thats all i could pull up.

Nah, it's specifically meant to make the reader feel sort of vicariously jealous.
No idea what you're talking about, but there is literary irony, which is when the audience knows something that the character doesn't.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Not really what you're talking about but the closest ones I've found were "catharsis" / "Empathy", dunno if it helps.
dramatic irony?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Nah, it's specifically meant to make the reader feel sort of vicariously jealous.
I think I know what you're talking about, but I don't know any specific words..can't you stick with "inducing jealousy"?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by vince1991
you mean netorare?

That could be it.

I remember someone saying it's really common in manga.

Quote by Krieger91
I think I know what you're talking about, but I don't know any specific words..can't you stick with "inducing jealousy"?

Cranks my tractor homie.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Cranks my tractor homie.
The f*ck?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
The f*ck?

My roommate and I always say, "Whatever cranks yer tractor, homie."
Why would the reader be jealous of that? Wish fulfillment?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK