looking to replace my tubes, all of them. the ones i have are still stock, ive been meaning to replace them for a while and quite frankly they sound terrible. the thing im mostly interested in is taming the high end. i have the presence all the way down, and the treble quite low, and i still get the ice pick type sound on higher frets. and by higher frets i mean middle ish frets and above. also, if tubes can help me get a tighter low end, that would be great too, the combo is very flubby, even in standard, and im not looking at swapping speakers just yet.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
tube depot, dougs tubes, tube king, tube queen, eurotubes

they are all pretty diecent if you e mail them, they will respond answers pretty quick.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but what are the shafts like on the pots? I'm thinking of buying some chickenhead knobs to replace the ones on mine and I'm out of town until next weekend.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
i will be ordering from tubedepot, i was more looking for advice on what brand/type of tubes to get.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
if you shoot tubedepot a email and tell them what you are looking to get out of your amp, they will direct you to the right tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sorry for the late reply, i assumed this thread was a fail. if i wanted their opinion, id email them myself. with all due respect, i didnt make a forum thread to be told to email tubedepot.

and yeah 311, i was thinking of going with JJs, at least for the power section, ive heard of alot of good results in terms of tightening that low end with el84 based amps. so you would say the gain of JJ preamps is smoother in the higher register?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
sorry for the late reply, i assumed this thread was a fail. if i wanted their opinion, id email them myself. with all due respect, i didnt make a forum thread to be told to email tubedepot.

and yeah 311, i was thinking of going with JJs, at least for the power section, ive heard of alot of good results in terms of tightening that low end with el84 based amps. so you would say the gain of JJ preamps is smoother in the higher register?

You are a dick.

JJ's are known for being darker. Check the tube thread. Use the search bar.
Quote by R45VT
You are a dick.

JJ's are known for being darker. Check the tube thread. Use the search bar.

I dont think meant to sound the way you perceived him.
yeah - but the thing with the JJ EL84s is that they have had some reports of quality issues. I would be somewhat leary of new production JJ EL84s. Doug at dougstubes is getting his JJ EL84s prescreened and rebadged by Ruby. I would consider contacting Doug.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of the EL84 aspect before.

I do not believe this applies to 12AX7s or El34s for example, only the EL84s. But it could be an indication of a larger longer term future problem with JJs. Let's hope not.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 31, 2012,
^^yeah i dont think he got me the way i meant to reply either...

^hmm ok, thanks for the tip, probably email him about them. this kind of stuff never comes up in the first post of threads like the tube thread

is there another el84 youd recommend?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
^^yeah i dont think he got me the way i meant to reply either...

^hmm ok, thanks for the tip, probably email him about them. this kind of stuff never comes up in the first post of threads like the tube thread

is there another el84 youd recommend?

Assuming you don't want NOS for now I would personally go for the Gold Lion, Ruby EL84 CZ, new issue Mullards (because the NOS ones are expensive), or those TADs.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes.html?cat=23
i don't have anything directly to offer, but IMO NOS power tubes aren't worth the money they fetch in a lot of cases. powertubes last considerably shorter than preamp tubes, speaking in a general way. i got a silver faced bassman that had NOS 6L6's in it. the guy gave me invoice, he paid quite a lot (i dont remember) i retubed it two months ago. justwhat you want to put into it. some are still working from the 50's, some have considerably sshorter lives.

a NOS preamp tube sits better with me. less investment, longer life typically to power tubes.

a tube can go in a single second.

as far as the EL84's go, JJ's have treated me good in the 18 watt i built.

as far as 12AX7's they do well in the splawns and the 18 watt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/