So i'm trying to play and understand the solo to "sunshine of your love" by Cream. And there is one little thing i cant really get my head around.

He starts off pretty easy dminor pentatonic, then he has a position shift and goes and play pretty much D major pentatonic except for one thing.

He does this double stop where he plays Ab on the b string and E on the g string. Now i dont understand where this Ab note is coming from. So long story short, how does the Ab note fit into a solo in D and why does it sound good?

Thanks in advance!
Ab is the b5 of the D minor pentatonic scale - it's known as the "blues" note. If you add that onto a standard minor pentatonic, it becomes the minor blues scale and it's very standard in a lot of guitar playing.
If the Song is in D Major, the Ab, or G# is the 4th.

My Bad, totally got my shit messed up.
Last edited by Envion at Jan 19, 2012,
Quote by Envion
If the Song is in D Major, the Ab, or G# is the 4th.

Ab is b5, G# would be #4.

Since it's in a blues scale context, though, it's the b5.
If it helps, the solo is also called the Blue Moon solo.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by ridicilus
So i'm trying to play and understand the solo to "sunshine of your love" by Cream. And there is one little thing i cant really get my head around.

He starts off pretty easy dminor pentatonic, then he has a position shift and goes and play pretty much D major pentatonic except for one thing.

He does this double stop where he plays Ab on the b string and E on the g string. Now i dont understand where this Ab note is coming from. So long story short, how does the Ab note fit into a solo in D and why does it sound good?

Thanks in advance!

It's a b5 a tritone or blues note, and it sounds good because it adds flavor and tension that will sound good when resolved.

Best,

Sean