Okay, I realize the simplest method of getting this type of sound would be to just go ahead and buy this pedal, but seeing as how it's the only sound I'm particularly interested in, are there any simple ways of achieving this or something similar?

Cheaper pedal alternatives? I've looked at different ring mods, but they don't quite seem to hit it. Any old 8 bit pedals I should watch out for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLg1UkgeZVk&t=1m01s

Until about 1 min 30 sec

Cheers!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
not sure what kinda pedal that is but i would say its a delay of some kinda so start there
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
Quote by moosejr
not sure what kinda pedal that is but i would say its a delay of some kinda so start there

Not at all correct.

This is a really unique pedal, so it's going to be hard to find something similar for cheaper. Devi Ever makes a fuzz pedal that gets crazy enough to sound like old video games, it sells for about $100 bucks. Otherwise, you could look into different octave/pitch shifting pedals. Do you have any songs/ideas in mind for what you'd be using this sound for? And what is your budget? I might be able to help more with that info.

PS, here is that fuzz pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQGNTBWuy5M
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
So thats a version of a fuzz pedal? please fill me in i was trying to get it to be something like a delay or flanger judging by the sound
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
Quote by moosejr
So thats a version of a fuzz pedal? please fill me in i was trying to get it to be something like a delay or flanger judging by the sound

no, your pedal: Iron Ether - Frantabit, is a 'bit crusher' pedal. what it does is takes the analog input signal, converts it to digital. at this point they have options as to how they can process it, like they could sample the original signal in a higher quality and then degrade the quality with a DSP effect (this is how i think they would do it) or they could just use an A/D with adjustable bit depth output. w/e, the bottom line is that it produces degraded digital audio output.

the idea is, when you sample an analog audio signal and you have more bit to use to represent the signal then the more accurate the digital reproduction will be. but if you purposefully use less bits to represent the signal, then you get these weird digital distortions reminiscent of late 70's/early 80's video games.

the implementation of the pedal [most likely] includes a preamp, a A-D-A converter and a DSP chip. jacks support i/o and knobs control assigned parameters. these are actually fairly cheap implementations as far as pedals go. no more expensive to make then a digital delay or so.

i have this effect for free as a garageband plug-in. you can get them as free DSP plug-ins. you can find versions of bit-crushers for 150 bucks in pedal form as well. if you want a bit crusher than get it.

souperman was probably recommending fuzz's cuz they can produce similar and sometimes wilder effects depending on the circuit.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So I wouldn't be able to blend in a mod pedal with super high LFO speed then? Ala the EHX Flanger Hoax?

I understand what this pedal IS, I was just hoping for a similar sound at a lower cost. I know WMD makes a bit crusher, but their's is almost $100 more.

The reason I ask about this is because I like the odd way it degrades the clean sound. It doesn't really sound like a fuzz, more like the signal is being run through a crummy filter. I like the creepy quality of it, and with a little consideration, thought a ring mod might be similar, but it wasn't really, at least not the way I had hoped.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.