Hey guys! Thanks so much for helping me start out as a bassist not too long ago. I'm catching on quickly. I'm already interested in joining a band with my new instrument after having played guitar for 6 years.

NOW, what should I play for the audition? Like, scales or something? Any riffs or songs you'd recommend that aren't too intricate? I was thinking maybe the Seinfeld theme.
whatever they're looking for, every band is looking for the 'right' player for them, its a matter of knowing what that might be and doing it for them! your best bet is to look up the bands material (if they have any) and do your best to either learn it or play in the style of that band if possible.. if you have no material by them then just play your favorite things to play and just do your very best its all you can do!! also, dont get down if they dont want you, theres tons of bands out there, or you can always start your own
Quote by Scorpyin
whatever they're looking for, every band is looking for the 'right' player for them, its a matter of knowing what that might be and doing it for them! your best bet is to look up the bands material (if they have any) and do your best to either learn it or play in the style of that band if possible.. if you have no material by them then just play your favorite things to play and just do your very best its all you can do!! also, dont get down if they dont want you, theres tons of bands out there, or you can always start your own

Yup, try and play something they are like, I doubt they are a TV theme song band, but if they enjoy a laugh that shows some skill go ahead. You kind of just need to go with what feels right. Don't play country for a speed metal band, and vis versa. And as said you can always start a band.
Quote by Scorpyin

before you even so much as take the bass out of the box, here is what I would do...I would interview the band and ask them what they are looking for? Are they looking for- a musician, or just a body to fill up that side of the stage. Some band are just looking to round out their image with the agenda of completely drowning out the bass player. Others, if looking for a bass just want somebody to pump the root so the lead guitarist and singer can stroke their ego. So find out what they want.

Then when you do, ask to let you audition with the drummer. You'll find out right away what you need to play, and/or if you can even play with your "bud" in the band.
See if you two even have any chemistry. If you can't get in the groove with the drummer, there is the potential that you are doomed right from the beginning, regardless of what you do or play. And you'll pretty much know if you are wasting your time.

As a bassist you have the luxury of being "in demand"...so pick and choose.
Don't over-play it. Most bands (worth joining) are just going to be put off by that. Play stuff that isn't too ridiculously flashy, but play it well. That's likely to impress somebody the most. Equally, if they overplay and don't ever give you any room to have your fun, let them know you're not interested, because it won't get any better.
when i joined the band i'm in, it wasnt really a formal 'audition' it was more of a rehearsal in which they taught the basis a few of their existing songs to see how i liked playing their stuff as well as how they liked the way i play. that way, you get to know the band members as well.
if that isnt an option, play something the suits the style that they play and maybe show that you can come to the forefront just as well as the guitarist if needed.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
when i joined the band i'm in, it wasnt really a formal 'audition' it was more of a rehearsal in which they taught the basis a few of their existing songs to see how i liked playing their stuff as well as how they liked the way i play. that way, you get to know the band members as well.
if that isnt an option, play something the suits the style that they play and maybe show that you can come to the forefront just as well as the guitarist if needed.

This, surely they've given you some idea as to what to play. My "audition" for my first band we just jammed out Enter Sandman a few times.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
For the most part, play in YOUR style. Don't try to copy someone else or dumb down your style. Another thing is play something impressive, but not show-offy. Make sure to be able to work with a band and improvise.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT