I have a tube Head that is switchable from 4 to 8 to 16 ohms and a cabinet that has the same switching capability. The head is 100 w and the cab is 300 w .what would be the best ohms to run the set up at ? Will there be any difference in tonal or volume difference running it at different ohms ? Also the cab says 4 ohm mono , 8 ohm stereo and 16 ohm mono , can I run the cab at 8 ohms and the head at 8 ohms even if it i am only running one cabinet .thanks for the help like i said its a new set up and i don't want to burn out the head.
there probably would be some tonal difference between the 4 and 16 ohm options, since it's different speaker configuration within the close circuit. The easiest way to find out is to try it out and see what suits you best. (just don't forget to turn the head off while you change the impedance)

8ohm stereo: most like half of the cab serves for right channel and other half for left channel, meaning if you plug in only one mono head, it will play only in half of the speakers (that's 2 speakers, if you have cab with 4 (which sounds pretty much right))
Quote by KorYi
. The easiest way to find out is to try it out and see what suits you best.

TS please dont "Just try it out"

Match the impendence between the Cab and the head. they have that for a reason
Quote by PLAYEROFCHEESE
I have a tube Head that is switchable from 4 to 8 to 16 ohms and a cabinet that has the same switching capability. The head is 100 w and the cab is 300 w .what would be the best ohms to run the set up at ?

lets not worry about 'best' because that is debatable on many levels. lets just get something that will work for you without worrying about damage

it sounds like you are using a tube head, that means whatever output on the amp you use, you want to use a corresponding input on the cab.

Quote by PLAYEROFCHEESE
Will there be any difference in tonal or volume difference running it at different ohms ?

solid state amps get louder with 'less ohms', this is cuz it actually increases output when the cab is 'less ohms'. tube amps have an output transformer between the power section and the speakers, this transformer is there to optimize power transfer between speakers and amp.

when you use different 'ohm outputs' on the head, you are really using different taps on the output transformer, these different taps correspond to different windings in the transformer, and this does effect the tone is subtle ways.

Quote by PLAYEROFCHEESE
Also the cab says 4 ohm mono , 8 ohm stereo and 16 ohm mono , can I run the cab at 8 ohms and the head at 8 ohms even if it i am only running one cabinet.

the different impedances of the cab have to do with how the speakers are wired, the stereo mode uses two sets of speakers in your cab independently while the mono settings use all 4 speakers at once. if you use stereo mode, you will only be using two speakers and therefore you power handling is cut in half.

i'd personally hook up the cab at 16 ohms (uses more of the transformers windings and will run the amp cooler evidently by working the power section less hard, there is also more dramatic attenuation in the extreme frequency ranges with higher impedance that helps keep the guitar off the bass player's freq range and things sit in the mix a little nicer). that is just my preference though, some people who like low end and slack tunings tend to use lower impedances cuz of some minimal increased low end response.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbi nailed it already but-

don't worry about the 8 ohm stereo business - I can't imagine ever using that. If you get a second amp some day and want to run both into one cab for some reason then come back.

otherwise just match at 4 or 16 ohms mono.

i sersiously doubt the human ear would be able to detect any tonal differences between the two but some would argue that by going the 16 ohm route you are tapping into the full (I hate to use the word 'potential') windings of the Output Transformer. I'd go 16.