Page 1 of 2
Thought this might be of interest to some of you regarding the Megaupload incident.

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

Hacktivists with the collective Anonymous are waging an attack on the website for the White House after successfully breaking the sites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA and Motion Picture Association of America.
In response to today’s federal raid on the file sharing service Megaupload, hackers with the online collective Anonymous have broken the websites for the FBI, Department of Justice, Universal Music Group, RIAA, Motion Picture Association of America and Warner Music Group.
“It was in retaliation for Megaupload, as was the concurrent attack on Justice.org,” Anonymous operative Barrett Brown tells RT on Thursday afternoon.

I have to say it made me smile. I think the governments need to realise that the internet cannot and should not be regulated. Where does censorship stop?
Check out my fitness blog here
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at Jan 19, 2012,

That's actually kinda awesome.
Although, one Asperger's kid did it single-handedly.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Anonymous operative Barrett Brown

No shit?????

Why would you fuck with the FBI????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Oh lordy...
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by genghisgandhi
****ing idiots. This is doing nothing but antagonizing anti-SOPA people.

What do you mean?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Crazyedd123
What do you mean?

Kind of like PETA pissing off people that actually care about animal welfare issues.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Am I alone in thinking that DDoS attacks really don't mean anything important? All it means is that a bunch of people can open a program and point it at a single website together. 4chan is great at that.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Crazyedd123
What do you mean?

People who can actually do something about the bill are gonna see everyone who opposes it as some super hacker anarchist criminal, much inferior to the civil people who like it. Plus they're not gonna be bullied into voting it down; if anything they would pass it just to be stubborn. This won't accomplish anything.
Quote by Crazyedd123
What do you mean?

Well, they are doing exactly what SOPA would allow the government to do.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by fearofthemark
Am I alone in thinking that DDoS attacks really don't mean anything important? All it means is that a bunch of people can open a program and point it at a single website together. 4chan is great at that.

Nope, you're not alone. It's going to be hilarious though when Anonymous finds out they really aren't.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Nope, you're not alone. It's going to be hilarious though when Anonymous finds out they really aren't.

I dunno, most of them are high school/college kids just like me that don't realize how illegal their actions are, and that not being caught in the past is no guarantee that they won't get caught in the future.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

You know, if they are breaking into government websites...why don't they expose some of the crap the government does, instead of just show off by breaking into the website, and then leaving with nothing.

They need to hack the Fed and expose their books to the world, like they should of been doing since they were created.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You know, if they are breaking into government websites...why don't they expose some of the crap the government does, instead of just show off by breaking into the website, and then leaving with nothing.

They need to hack the Fed and expose their books to the world, like they should of been doing since they were created.

Like wikileaks?

soo..they brought down a few websites for a few minutes.?

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

GUBMENT MUST BE RUNNIN SCURRED NOW
Quote by genghisgandhi
People who can actually do something about the bill are gonna see everyone who opposes it as some super hacker anarchist criminal, much inferior to the civil people who like it. Plus they're not gonna be bullied into voting it down; if anything they would pass it just to be stubborn. This won't accomplish anything.

Not really, a good cop/bad cop strategy could work out pretty well if the bad cop did enough lasting damage. Sort of like the Indian Independence movement. Pro-sopas can't really hold civil activists responsible if they denounced anonymous themselves. The government would then be fighting on two fronts: the civil protesters on ethical grounds and the violent ones would be a constant thorn in their side.
Quote by ethan_hanus

It's not really breaking down government sites, the media always say that but it is more like they took down a poster made by the FBI.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by uziyourillusion
soo..they brought down a few websites for a few minutes.?

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

GUBMENT MUST BE RUNNIN SCURRED NOW

Some of them have been down for hours http://www.justice.gov/
I hope for a giant shitstorm between the techies and the content moguls - it'll spice things up and be fun to watch.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by fearofthemark

Nope, and they even fail at that sometimes, can't blame everyone for not being scared.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by ethan_hanus

Unfortunately, they're not breaking into the websites at all.

A DDoS attack (pretty much what all these takedowns are) is just a bunch of people downloading the program Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC), pointing it at a specific server, and clicking go. The program just repeatedly sends requests to the RIAA's server, and if this is done with hundreds of computers, the server becomes overloaded and crashes. All it does is take the website down for a short while. It's incredibly illegal, but easy to do with only a marginal chance of getting charged with anything.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

lol "take down"

more like "minor inconvenience"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol "take down"

more like "minor inconvenience"

This.

Unrelated, but what was the Bach piece that wasn't actually written by him? Toccata and Fugue in D minor?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
This.

Unrelated, but what was the Bach piece that wasn't actually written by him? Toccata and Fugue in D minor?

Yeah!!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by fearofthemark

I'm pretty sure that's the point of Anonymous. It doesn't have great power or any infrastructure, so it can act quickly and on issues that have a large support base.

Yeah, I'm down with Anon. Not a part of it, but they tend to pick their battles well. I hope it continues to the point of shocking congress into realizing there's a new generation in the electorate, not just Baby Boomers (which it seems some members have been). Of course then there's the issue of pesky copyright law...
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA

I don't get why people are mad about this, they're just trying to raise awareness for their cause. Other than being illegal it's no different than wikipedia blacking out.
sunbather is shit
Quote by maiden_man_666

I just wanted to say...

This poster is retarded.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by fearofthemark
Unfortunately, they're not breaking into the websites at all.

A DDoS attack (pretty much what all these takedowns are) is just a bunch of people downloading the program Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC), pointing it at a specific server, and clicking go. The program just repeatedly sends requests to the RIAA's server, and if this is done with hundreds of computers, the server becomes overloaded and crashes. All it does is take the website down for a short while. It's incredibly illegal, but easy to do with only a marginal chance of getting charged with anything.

To expand on this, picture the websites they are attacking as the signs in front of a store. What they are doing is tearing the signs down. Nothing in the store is affected.
Finally they do something noteworthy.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Dirge Humani
To expand on this, picture the websites they are attacking as the signs in front of a store. What they are doing is tearing the signs down. Nothing in the store is affected.

Yup. The FBI still has access to their secret files because they're not stored on the website.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Yeah!!

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Dirge Humani

But how will customers know what's in the store?? They won't go since they don't know bringing the business to it's knees ...until they get a new sign.

But really, imagine if you stole the sign from FBI headquarters. Think about how bad ass that would be.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^ Not in any concrete way, but it'll show up on the news and raise public awareness of the Megaupload takedown.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
raise public awareness of the Megaupload takedown.

Yeah, and what is that gonna do
Page 1 of 2