Hi,
If I were making for example an E7 chord, and didnt know the notes or fingerings, to figure out the notes, would I find the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th of the E major scale, or if I was in the Key of C would I use the C major scale? To find out the notes of the chord.
Basically what im asking is if you can construct any chord as long as you use the scale of the key it is in
I think your first solution is right--use root, 3rd, 5th and 7th notes from Emaj. I'm only relatively new to theory, though, and not touched on 7th chords in awhile. Your best bet would be to wait for someone else to reply :P.

*Edit: I just read that it should include a flat 7th. Still not entirely sure of myself, though.

*Double edit: That would make sense, though. If you're playing it in open position, you'd have

1 - 3 - 5 - 7b
E G# B D

Though not strictly in that order, in terms of strings. From 6th to 3rd string, it would be E-B-D-G#.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jan 19, 2012,
Ok, I just dont feel like memorizing every major scale in order to figure out the notes of a chord quickly.....but if thats what I have to do....then I'll do it haha
Quote by FenderGuy909
Ok, I just dont feel like memorizing every major scale in order to figure out the notes of a chord quickly.....but if thats what I have to do....then I'll do it haha

I can tell you now that doing so will help you tremendously. Even if you can remember that the steps of major scale (Whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half) you can figure out the notes of a scale, given the root note. And while that's not true memorization, it's better than nothing.

Still, I would encourage you to try to learn them,
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Im familiar with how to construct it, but Im wondering do I have to use like the F# major scale to find F#7 chord if im in key of C? Could I just use the C major scale to find the notes?
Quote by FenderGuy909
Im familiar with how to construct it, but Im wondering do I have to use like the F# major scale to find F#7 chord if im in key of C? Could I just use the C major scale to find the notes?

I see now, my apologies. My guess would be that using the F# scale would be the simplest way to find the 7th chord. Because the 8th note would be an F#, making the 7th note of the scale an F (or "E#", I'm not sure how that would be notated). So then you'd just reduce the F a half step to a D# and you'd have your structure.

1 - 3 - 5 - 7b
F# A# C# F (or E#? not sure on notation)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Jan 19, 2012,
Quote by eGraham
I see now, my apologies. My guess would be that using the F# scale would be the simplest way to find the 7th chord. Because the 8th note would be an F#, making the 7th note of the scale an F (or "E#", I'm not sure how that would be notated). So then you'd just reduce the F a half step to a D# and you'd have your structure.

1 - 3 - 5 - 7b
F# A# C# F (or E#? not sure on notation)

(If I understand what your saying correctly)
You only name a note once in a given scale.

If your scale is F# for example, then you say E# instead of F
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Hi All

I've been playing for about 2 years on and off. Really trying to get it together though.

I have a question - If i'm on capo 3 and the root chord is E. What Key of harmonica can I use?
Quote by FenderGuy909
Ok thanks, I will memorize the major scales!

I find it easier to memorise the circle of fifths and use it to construct the scales. Memorise FCGDAEB. I think of it as FC Gdaeb cause it sounds like an eastern european football team. Remember Cmaj has no sharps or flats, G has 1 (F#), D has 2 (F#, C#) etc.
Quote by knutjob
I find it easier to memorise the circle of fifths and use it to construct the scales. Memorise FCGDAEB. I think of it as FC Gdaeb cause it sounds like an eastern european football team. Remember Cmaj has no sharps or flats, G has 1 (F#), D has 2 (F#, C#) etc.

Or Fat Cats Go Down Ally's Eating Birds.

For the order of flats (circle of fourths): Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

Quote by liampje
wtf guys, you don't have to use scales to figure out the notes of a chord, you can't even make an E7 out of an E major scale lol

you just have memorize the intervals of the notes in diffent kinds of chords. for instance, if you want to make any kind of dominant seventh chord, you have to find the 1(root), M3 (major third), 5(fifth) and the b7(flat seventh) - all of those intervals "measured" from the root note. so for an E7, you get root = E, the major third is G#, the fifth is B, the flatted seventh is D.
Quote by ArtemR
you can't even make an E7 out of an E major scale lol

An E7 in E major is possible. Sounds like shit on my bass, but hey, alot of chords do.

E major scale:
E F# G# A B C# D# E

Dominant 7th chord:
1 3 5 b7

E7 chord:
E(1) G#(3) B(5) D(b7)

Quote by liampje
Quote by ArtemR
wtf guys, you don't have to use scales to figure out the notes of a chord, you can't even make an E7 out of an E major scale lol

you just have memorize the intervals of the notes in diffent kinds of chords. for instance, if you want to make any kind of dominant seventh chord, you have to find the 1(root), M3 (major third), 5(fifth) and the b7(flat seventh) - all of those intervals "measured" from the root note. so for an E7, you get root = E, the major third is G#, the fifth is B, the flatted seventh is D.

I wholeheartedly agree. Get to know the intervals, that's how you build chords. Another interesting note is that sevenths sound great when you leave out the fifth, because it's implied so strongly as the third overtone of the root. So voicings such as

x
x
x

for E7 sound great to me. You can even throw in the open strings on that one.