Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
yes

they're called barre chords
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
there are lots actually just move standard open chord shapes around the neck and see what sounds to your liking
Quote by Hail
yes

they're called barre chords

that is, word for word, what i came here to say.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
And its also possible to move open chord shapes up the neck and mute the strings you dont want to hear
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Cloudkicker
Just curious.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

There are some chords with open strings that work at other frets. For example, and open C words slid up two frets - making it a D11, I guess. But it doesn't work universally.

The C7 shape works anywhere on the neck, so long as you avoid the two e strings.

The top three strings of the D, of course, work anywhere - and in other places where the open D doesn't clash.
Quote by jrenkert
play an A mjor Barre chord E shaped without the barre

Yes, you can do this. By moving these shapes through the chromatic scale, whilst keeping the bass note the same, you'll create the 12 major slash chords, and their chordal implications will reflect a scale or mode.

Works good with open A and D chords.
Quote by HotspurJr
The C7 shape works anywhere on the neck, so long as you avoid the two e strings.

The E works everywhere apart from frets 4 and 8.
Generally chords are classified into three groups, open, barre, and moveable shaped. The shaped chords are used quite extensively in jazz, but can also be used in most genres of music.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by HotspurJr

The E minor shape works anywhere too, just avoid the E, G, B and high E strings
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Generally chords are classified into three groups, open, barre, and moveable shaped. The shaped chords are used quite extensively in jazz, but can also be used in most genres of music.

Get back in to GT, interloper.
I can play barre chords and everything, i am just looking for shapes i can use higher on the fretboard to arpeggiate.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
I've used moveable open chords a few times, if you listen to the song I've included a link to you'll hear one where the main acoustic guitar is playing a pattern based around moving an open G chord.
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/monnae/music/all/play1059858

EDIT: Also check out the song on my main profile page called "Interlude". Pretty much all the way through, it uses the Fmaj7 chord moved up and down the neck with the A & E strings remaining open for all the different chords that one shape produces.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by Cloudkicker
I can play barre chords and everything, i am just looking for shapes i can use higher on the fretboard to arpeggiate.

you answered your own question

chords are just notes, if you have the right notes you've got a chord, doesn't matter where those notes are played...if they happen to occur on the open strings then knock yourself out and use them if you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
all of the basic open chords are movable actually. just where ever there are open strings, use a barre to play them and your other fingers to fret the notes. it would be the same as playing with a capo. learn the CAGED system, it should help you with that.
Quote by Cloudkicker
Just curious.

Yes there are, and they don't have to be called Barre chords, because a Barre chord is not an open shape in the sense that the barre does not have any ringing open strings. You can for example move a C chord two frets with the same open strings.

like - x 5 4 0 3 0

Now your assignment is, using whatever knowledge you have of notes on the neck, chords and triads and or modified or extended chords, identify the notes in this chord the name of this chord, and tell me why you think it is the correct name of that chord

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by Sean0913
Yes there are, and they don't have to be called Barre chords, because a Barre chord is not an open shape in the sense that the barre does not have any ringing open strings. You can for example move a C chord two frets with the same open strings.

like - x 5 4 0 3 0

Now your assignment is, using whatever knowledge you have of notes on the neck, chords and triads and or modified or extended chords, identify the notes in this chord the name of this chord, and tell me why you think it is the correct name of that chord

Best,

Sean

d major add 4 add 9
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
It's not a sus chord because you still have the third (the F# on the d string).