I've got a decision between upgrading the pickups in my squire strat or getting a mexi tele. It seems the obvious choice would be the tele, but I'm so partial the the sound of a strat. Yes, I understand that just upgrading pickups in a squire isn't going to make it the best guitar around, but it'll still make it a decent guitar.

Which would you choose? Upgraded squire strat or standard mexi tele?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
This really isn't that simple. Do you use the middle pickup? Do you use the vibrato? Do you prefer one control layout over the other? Do you find the Tele's single cut design any harder to play? Do you prefer the darker tone of the Tele?

You're trying to compare chalk and cheese here, as if they're the same. They're really not. There are enough significant differences between any Strat and any Tele that you should already know which style of guitar will suit you better, pickups and brand be damned. You could buy the best Custom Shop Telecaster in the world but if a Strat is more suited to how you play then that Squier is going to be better for you. You could own the best Strat known to man but if a Tele suits you better than any standard Tele would be an upgrade. You might as well be asking us whether you should buy a BMW convertable or a Toyota pickup truck. You should already know which meets your needs better and one can't replace the other.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Touche...
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt