So my singer recently found he can actually sing all our songs ten times better a half step down. We tuned a half step down and that's the way its going to be. Now, I also teach in a guitar shop and have to keep my guitar in standard to play with the kids I teach. I have another guitar I can use for teaching, but that's not the point.

My question really is: If I go from Eb to standard, back and forth (not in the same playing session but lets just say for arguments sake once a week or so), will it screw anything up? are there any adjustments I can make to help with this?

*it's a Mexican HSS Fender

thank you
In my experience the less you change tunings the better. Whenever I frequently change tunings on a set of strings I notice that they don't stay in tune quite as well and don't last quite as long.
If possible, use one guitar for each tuning. If not, half a step isn't going to hurt.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Get the Digitech Whammt DT, problem solved. Transposes in half steps a full octave up and down. Makes practice and gigging a dream with never having to capo or retune. Or the cheaper fix of course is to use a capo.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Get a capo. Tell the kids that the capo is where the nut of the guitar is, and play in relation to the capo, not the actual neck of the guitar you`re playing. Its only 1 fret difference. should be a big deal.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
E Standard to Eb Standard isn't enough of a difference to matter. There is no need to change how the guitar is set up or worry about any problems. It's when you start dropping more than a full step back and forth frequently that you might start seeing problems. Even then, nothing major.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Give into your GAS, just buy another guitar for Eb
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Your a guitar teacher.

You should know this.

It wont do anything.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Your a guitar teacher.

You should know this.

It wont do anything.

This.

And I suggest you actually tune the guitar around each time you need it; Don't go teaching kids guitar on a guitar that's not tuned the same as theirs... It's already complicated enough for them.
you teach guitar in a guitar shop... has no one else seen the glaringly obvious solution to your "problem?"
Quote by AWACS
Get a capo. Tell the kids that the capo is where the nut of the guitar is, and play in relation to the capo, not the actual neck of the guitar you`re playing. Its only 1 fret difference. should be a big deal.

Most guitars have inlays, meaning the inlays will be one fret off. That's not a good way to teach beginners.
dont buy anything

dont convice your students of anything

half a step is nothing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Cornishrob
you teach guitar in a guitar shop... has no one else seen the glaringly obvious solution to your "problem?"

this plz
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
nooo it wont mess anything up lol, if anything it will be good cause its stretching your strings tuning back up and helping them stay in tune. im constantly in and out of Eb and its fine :L
Quote by JJlespaul
nooo it wont mess anything up lol, if anything it will be good cause its stretching your strings tuning back up and helping them stay in tune. im constantly in and out of Eb and its fine :L

I do notice my intonation going a little off and it being tougher to stay in tune. It's been in half step for a solid 2 weeks though it shouldn't keep acting up like that
Maybe it's me maybe im crazy
Quote by MacEspn
I do notice my intonation going a little off and it being tougher to stay in tune. It's been in half step for a solid 2 weeks though it shouldn't keep acting up like that

Yes.

What guitar is it? Unless its some $100 or w/e one with horrible tuners it shouldn't go out of tune much. All of my guitars are under 500 and none of them act up like that considering I go from E to E flat and drop d alot.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by MacEspn
You must either have a very poor guitar or you aren't restringing your guitar correctly. For the slight change between Eb Standard and E Standard to cause a noticable problem staying in tune, the strings must not be threaded and wrapped around the tuner posts correctly, or the tuners must be very cheap/damaged and slipping. To effect the intonation noticably your truss rod must be either too tight or too loose, causing the neck to flex from the simple half-step drop.

Tune your guitar a quarter step down and set up the guitar for that perfectly. Then it should be a best-of-both-worlds deal and not have any trouble with either E Standard or Eb Standard, no matter how often you change tuning.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The amount of "BUY THIS" replies makes my skin crawl. If you say "buy this" to this guys question, go jump in a fire. And to the OP, if you don't know the half a step down won't hurt your guitar maybe you shouldn't be teaching because I learned that within a month of playing guitar.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)