Hello all! Back again, thinking about my options for upgrading. Gonna get straight to it.

Budget - $800 or less. If that's not possible, I'm willing to wait to save up for a quality amp.

Style - TL;DR: Leviathan era Mastodon, In Absentia era Porcupine Tree, Heritage era Opeth, and cleans.
As the title states, I want something that loosely fits the description of a poor man's Thunderverb. I love warm, powerful sound of that amp. I'm a fan of warm, bassy, gritty gain, typical of a British voiced amp. I also want it to sound great clean as well. I want it to do (sludge/thrash) metal at its heaviest, jazz at its cleanest, and progressive rock in the middle. In terms of bands, think Mastodon/Kylesa/Metallica at its heaviest, Alex Skolnick Trio at its cleanest, and Porcupine Tree/The latest Opeth in the middle.

New/Used - I don't have any experience buying amps used, but if it's going to save me money I'm up for gaining some.

Home/Gig - Exclusively at home, and in a college dorm in a few months. Looking for a combo.

Closest City - Would be Scranton PA.

Current Gear - Peavey Vypyr 30w, Schecter C-7 Custom. I'm planning on getting a PRS SE Custom 24 after this purchase as well, if that helps.

I appreciate any and all help, hopefully an amp such as this exists in my price range.

(note: I've done some looking around and have looked into the Engl Thunder and Screamer. I love the thunder, but I'm a bit concerned about whether it will be able to pull of sludge metal tones. Also like the Screamer, but it sounds a bit bright at times.)
Last edited by Chevelle19V at Jan 19, 2012,
AOR. Some of the niftiest amps ever made, and the demand appears to be fairly reasonable. Could get a head for about half your budget, and then add in a 212... I've heard some of the combos sound muddy, but it has to do with how the amp reacts to the speaker; I've heard the combos come loaded with everything from Fane to HH speakers.

Still worth some research.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
TS - are you close to Harrisburg at all?

I see a Carvin V3, Mesa Rectoverb, and a 5150 on that craigslist

and this guy:

JSX 212 $700
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/2784933827.html

that could probably get you almost anywhere with some tweaking
While I'm interested in the Laney, I can't seem to find a whole lot of official information about it. Are they discontinued? Also, does anyone on this site have some decent sound samples?

I'm about 2.5-3 hours away from Harrisburg. I could make the drive if there was a really great deal out there.

Would you guys recommend the Laney over the other amps in this mentioned so far?
Quote by Seanthesheep
wait for the new jet city mystery head. rumour has it that its a thunderverb clone

I thought that was proven wrong, I wasn't keeping up with the thread.

EDIT: ah, I guess not, just unlikely according to some. But the dude wants a cheap-ish amp, if that JC is really $2500, there's no way TS is going to buy it.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jan 20, 2012,
Look for a used TH30 combo, or head if you have a cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The AORs are discontinued, and were made from the early to late 80's. They followed the Laney Klipps, which were used at some point by Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. They're similar to the Klipps, but each band of the tone stack has a pull boost switch.

Early AORs (or Pro Tubes) had 6 knobs, while the later models had 8; adding a pull boost that switches an extra gain stage on, as well as a preamp volume that limits the preamp signal going to the poweramp. This works more like a volume control than a distortion control.

I have a clip of mine up on youtube somewhere, however the recording quality is off due to poor mic placement and acoustics (not to mention my playing; yuck!) I'll see if I can dig it up.

I've also AB'ed mine with one of the Oranges (it was either a TH30 or AD30, I can't really remember) and they were definitely in the same ballpark. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Found it> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbekhKfg48Y&list=UUKKE9CaqluiuSskCeDMq8Pw&index=1&feature=plcp
Last edited by Quinlan at Jan 20, 2012,
^Thanks for the info! It sounds great, but I'm a bit cautious to go out and find one of these amps, as I have no experience buying amps used or even owning a tube amp period, and I'm afraid I won't know what to look for/how much maintenance the amp will require. I also feel like it would be too loud for me (I'll be in a college dorm soon.)

Would a Blackstar HT-5 be able to produce the sound I want? I've researched those a bit and so far they look like a pretty viable option.
Last edited by Chevelle19V at Jan 21, 2012,
Being in a dorm room, I'd have to recommend a decent DSP over the HT-5.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Buy a small amp, with very nice cleans. Then grab pedals.

Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
Okko Dominator

Sludge, doom & thrash there, and you've got your clean tones as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Chevelle19V
^Thanks for the info! It sounds great, but I'm a bit cautious to go out and find one of these amps, as I have no experience buying amps used or even owning a tube amp period, and I'm afraid I won't know what to look for/how much maintenance the amp will require. I also feel like it would be too loud for me (I'll be in a college dorm soon.)

Would a Blackstar HT-5 be able to produce the sound I want? I've researched those a bit and so far they look like a pretty viable option.

The HT5 will most certainly not do what you want. Not even close.

Well, if you think you can get an AOR, it should be fine to get it used. As long as the seller is respected or you trust him for whatever reason, it should be fine. And if you want it to be quieter, there are pedals that can do that for you. I always forget what they're called though for whatever reason.

But just don't get the HT-5, whatever you do.
The way I use mine, I keep the controls cranked like normal so it doesn't get muffled sounding, and then I use a volume pedal in the fx loop. This doesn't push the power tubes particularly hard, but it does still sound good, as well as being pretty damn quiet, especially with my 50W head. **(I'm NOT talking about an attenuator, those get rather expensive, but are made for really driving your power amp if that's the sound you're looking for)

Likewise, I've used an HT-5, and I just didn't like it. It didn't sound particularly saturated, even with the volume cranked up a bit. I would have needed a boost with it.
Quote by Quinlan
The way I use mine, I keep the controls cranked like normal so it doesn't get muffled sounding, and then I use a volume pedal in the fx loop. This doesn't push the power tubes particularly hard, but it does still sound good, as well as being pretty damn quiet, especially with my 50W head. **(I'm NOT talking about an attenuator, those get rather expensive, but are made for really driving your power amp if that's the sound you're looking for)

Likewise, I've used an HT-5, and I just didn't like it. It didn't sound particularly saturated, even with the volume cranked up a bit. I would have needed a boost with it.
Attenuator, I need to remember that term.

but anyway, yes, you could do this too, considering attenuators get pricey.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Tiny Terror Combo

You could always do one of the -terror heads. some are on the cheaper side, and are fairly quiet from what I gather. I'd rather get the Laney, however.
Quote by AcousticMirror
nothing grab a used thunderverb 50.

This. I got mine for $1300. Not much of a difference considering it's the amp you really want and it would last you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
that and the fact that only the thunderverb has the thunderverb circuit.

no one else makes a thunderverb circuit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Ya, the only high gainer I've got that really sounds completely different. Big woolly lows that are great for sludge/doom.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Ironic Maiden
fairly quiet

Quite the opposite actually. Loud as shit.

Edit: But they do low volume well.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Quite the opposite actually. Loud as shit.

Edit: But they do low volume well.

tis what I meant
Ok, not going with the Blackstar then. It seems I'm down to the Laney or just going for the Thunderverb (or perhaps the DSP/small amp + pedals options, if it comes to that). Some questions/concerns..

1) There are only 3 Laney's anywhere near me on Craigslist, all of which about over 5 hours away from me. That means I'll either have to pick one up from ebay or guitarcenter.com, without the chance to try it out.

2) I don't have a cab, so that's going to bump the total cost of getting the Orange quite a bit. The Laney should remain within my budget. That said, what kind of cab would pair up with the head nicely/what size cab would you recommend for me?

3) Are there any major differences functionality or sound-wise between the 30w, 50w, and 100w Laneys?

4) From what I've seen, the Thunderverbs do not do cleans very well. While I love the amp for its gain, I'm not impressed with its (lack of) cleans. Is it possible to get the kind of clean sound I'm looking for with it?
Last edited by Chevelle19V at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Chevelle19V
Ok, not going with the Blackstar then. It seems I'm down to the Laney or just going for the Thunderverb (or perhaps the DSP/small amp + pedals options, if it comes to that). Some questions/concerns..

1) There are only 3 Laney's anywhere near me on Craigslist, all of which about over 5 hours away from me. That means I'll either have to pick one up from ebay or guitarcenter.com, without the chance to try it out.

2) I don't have a cab, so that's going to bump the total cost of getting the Orange quite a bit. The Laney should remain within my budget. That said, what kind of cab would pair up with the head nicely/what size cab would you recommend for me?

3) Are there any major differences functionality or sound-wise between the 30w, 50w, and 100w Laneys?

4) From what I've seen, the Thunderverbs do not do cleans very well. While I love the amp for its gain, I'm not impressed with its (lack of) cleans. Is it possible to get the kind of clean sound I'm looking for with it?
1. Well that's a bummer, that's up to you to decide, though.

2. I just had someone rec me some cabs for a Laney, let me try and find his post.
look for something with celestion g12t-75's or vintage 30's. you can usually find a marshall 1960 cab for between 300-400 used. in this case cosmetic damage is good because you can get a nice cab that looks like crap for cheap.

3. I don't know about tone-wise, but volume wise it's going to vary, I'd assume.

4. I like the cleans, but depending on what you want, you could probably get what you want with pedals.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jan 22, 2012,
As far as wattages go for the AORs, the difference between the 50W and 100W. I owned a 6 knob 30W for a while before picking up my 8 knob 50W. The 6 knobs definitely run cleaner than the 8's, and unless you pick up a combo amp, all the 30W heads have 6 knobs.

The 50W and the 100W both run EL34s, and the 30W run 6V6s. With the 6V6s, I think the 30W actually run closer to 22W than 30. Both are loud as hell.

I would suggest a 212 with V30's or avatar's Hellatone 60's. They made the amp sound pretty aggressive.

I've found manipulation of the volume knob on the guitar to give the AOR a nice clean sound, but I can't speak for the Thunderverb personally.