I find that my writing lately has been rather unfulfilling, emotionally. I have great deal of trouble putting my emotions into words, so as hard as i try to write personally it's too hard.
I'm mostly worried about writing about a past relationship or event and it seeming like i'm obsessive... any help with this stuff?
Last edited by ccannon1 at Jan 19, 2012,
One thing I've found helpful in my writing, both in creative writing and in school writing, is to go stream of consciousness for about 10 minutes or so. Write anything and everything that goes through your mind. After you finish go through and see if you notice any chains or themes.

Another exercise (literally) that I've found helpful is taking a pen and a notebook with me when I go to the gym and sit on the exercise bike for about an hour. Not only is this a great way to exercise but when you're exercising, blood flows faster, and thus thoughts fly faster. Your mind will be racing, and therefore you are more likely to come up with something you like.
Don't try to write, just write what comes.

As hippy as it sounds, for it to be fulfilling to you it has to come from you, not anywhere else.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
this might sound stupid but if you try to write its not gonna exactly come to you. you just have to think or even just do something else and then something might pop into your head. like sometimes when im just walking and thinking about random stuff a word or something like a sentence will just pop into my head and then i just write down on whatever i could find like my arm and ya then go from there
Why try to force something if it doesn't come easily? Not everyone's good at expressing their emotions in music and lyrics, or in life for that matter. Take shotgumerc's advice and get the blood flowing so you're in a creative mood, then just write how you see fit. If you can't put your own emotions into a song, write in an observational form. I'm writing a song about a my dog running away, even though this has never happened in my life. Writing up an imaginary story offers a more creative endeavor than explaining how I feel in first person perspective.

Creativity has to flow. So if you hit a wall, you change your approach and go around it instead of beating your brains out against it.
Last edited by herodotus at Jan 20, 2012,
you wont sound obsessive coz i do it and noone thinks that
woodery9896

electro-acoustic guitar player
(looking for band in or near rayleigh - essex - UK)
Sometimes it's useful to spend some time with music you love and get a sense of what it's about.

Really listen to some songs you love that aren't about heartbreak and see what it is about them that you connect to.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Don't try to write, just write what comes.

As hippy as it sounds, for it to be fulfilling to you it has to come from you, not anywhere else.

this guy speak sense, just sit back and let your mind flow, also if you want to write with anger sit down when your pissed off... but dont swear the best lyrical songs have no swearing in it

and do not say you are a table like 1 James Heatfield
Don't be afraid of sounding obsessive if that's how you feel... Sometimes I get major writer's block if I start thinking every sentence I write has to be something that will make sense to an audience, or make me look good... some things you write HAVE to be just for you. At least start out with total honesty no matter how crazy you think it sounds, and if you plan to share your writing with someone you don't think will appreciate that truth, then you can do some editing to cut down on obsessive-soundingness. But don't be afraid to pour it all out to start with. Real emotions aren't always pretty but they're all we've got
All at once,
The world can overwhelm me
There's almost nothin' that you could tell me
That could ease my mind.
Not every song you write has to be about your emotions. What about telling a story, i.e. introducing a level of indirection?
The way I have found to make my writing more efficient is by introducing a narrative that expresses what I want to say rather than to outright say it. For instance if you want to talk about how lonely you are, try flowing that emotion through a character you make up. The simple act of putting that feeling into someone else will make it easier and more expressible than just describing loneliness itself. After you have developed your skills and improved through MUCH practice and writing maturation, you'll find that describing your emotions through your own voice will be easier and will sound more genuine. Reading someone go on and on about how they feel is boring and really not worth my time if your writing sucks. It's going to suck at first though and will for a long time. Avoid cliches and overused expressions and focus on putting your thoughts into really simple sentences. Go back and add in or change simple words into your more complex description. This keeps your original idea while the new sentence will be more interesting to read. Practice. If you feel obsessive it's a good sign at least for your writing. A written piece you are proud of can be an emotional relief. If you feel no relief, now you have a new topic to write about.
Last edited by muel333 at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by muel333
The way I have found to make my writing more efficient is by introducing a narrative that expresses what I want to say rather than to outright say it. For instance if you want to talk about how lonely you are, try flowing that emotion through a character you make up. The simple act of putting that feeling into someone else will make it easier and more expressible than just describing loneliness itself. After you have developed your skills and improved through MUCH practice and writing maturation, you'll find that describing your emotions through your own voice will be easier and will sound more genuine. Reading someone go on and on about how they feel is boring and really not worth my time if your writing sucks. It's going to suck at first though and will for a long time. Avoid cliches and overused expressions and focus on putting your thoughts into really simple sentences. Go back and add in or change simple words into your more complex description. This keeps your original idea while the new sentence will be more interesting to read. Practice. If you feel obsessive it's a good sign at least for your writing. A written piece you are proud of can be an emotional relief. If you feel no relief, now you have a new topic to write about.

Is this why, whenever we have a personal problem, we always start by saying "Well my friend has this problem..."
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Is this why, whenever we have a personal problem, we always start by saying "Well my friend has this problem..."

Yes, and probably to save the embarrassment of admitting you actually have the problem. Personally I feel more honest and can write better by creating almost an alter ego within my characters, some expressing what I otherwise can't say.
A good motto my english teacher told me was "write first, think later". Write everything that comes to your head first, and THEN go and think about it. Your lyrics don't need to make "logical" sense. If you relate to them emotionally and others can relate to them, you've done a fine job!
I too have struggled with writing songs based solely on my emotions before, so my advice would be to take an exerience from your life, and begin writing a song about that. As you write on, I find that the event describes the emotion very well, better than just writing about the emotion could.