Hey guys,

I was wondering if I'd be able to just plug a Yamaha silent violin (http://www.electricviolinshop.com/violins/all-violins/yamaha-sv-130-violin.html) into a guitar amp. In terms of the signal, would it be akin to plugging a guitar into the amp?

Or would the preamp in the violin muck up the sound? If so what would I need to do to make the silent violin into an electric violin?

inb4 www.ultimate-violin.com <- Don't give me that silly response.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jan 19, 2012,
And that video just shows someone using the violin to an amp, about as useful as teeth in your bum.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm not familiar with that violin but I think you would get a pretty muddy sound. Might work alright with an acoustic amp and would probably sound great with a keyboard amp but I think a guitar amp would be too much. What kind of rig did the violinist from Dave Matthews have? That would probably answer any questions...
i would add a +311 to the keyboard amp. i don't really think a guitar amp would do it well, an acoustic amp could, but i really have no idea. if it has to be a guitar amp specifically i would try something either with a ton of headroom or SS. Twin Reverb or JC120.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 20, 2012,
If you were to use a guitar amp then pluging into the fx in would probably be your best option. That way you'll bypass the amps preamp and just use the power stage to drive the signal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you were to use a guitar amp then pluging into the fx in would probably be your best option. That way you'll bypass the amps preamp and just use the power stage to drive the signal.

that would depend on the violin's output in comparison to a guitar or pedal going back in. but could work.

on another thought, would a typical guitar amp speaker handle it well? frequency response? keyboard amp would probably do better, and probably would have a flatter response than a guitar speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It would sound awesome plugged straight into a cranked Plexi. You'll have to watch your output level if you want to keep it clean but if you wind them up it's like super hot EMG's you can make a Plexi scream. I'd get myself a volume pedal 'twer I you.
It's almost worth learning how to play violin just so I could play one of those suckas into a cranked Marshall. So evil sounding.

You know what amp you should get don't you? More chance of getting the cranked plexi sound out of 18W'er without too much feedback trouble, huh? I still have that black and chrome one available.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 20, 2012,
A friend of mine just plays his electrical violin through a solid state guitar amplifier and it works fine.
It's a powered piezo pickup, it will work just fine.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yes you can. See: Emilie Autumn.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X