Thinking about building a bass cab, and was wondering about the possibility of using an 18" speaker or two. My amp has a 15, which pushes out a ton of low end, So I'd probably have to use it in combination with maybe a 4x10 or something. I know Lemmy uses a 4x15... Would it be completely insane (and unnecessary) to make a cab with four 18s? Just a wild idea I came up with. Lemme know what you think.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
use a 4x10 or 2, a fEARful, or a 2-4x12.

it just isn't a good idea in the long run because it's inefficient and unnecessary if you're using speakers with full range full response. 4 15" speakers is fine because the load is the same on each speaker, but pairing an 18" with a 4x10 just isn't good for the the 1-2x18, same with 15s, same with anything.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Think of the weight. Think of your poor back. You may be young now and able to lug that 4 x 18 around, but in a very short while, you'll grow tired of it.
even a 4x15 is pushing the limits of what's reasonable....
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I thought some companies made 1x18 cabs?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you want a 4x18 built, I assume you are a pharaoh and have a few hundred slaves to do the lifting and other dirty work.
4x18?

that's gonna be all low end. get an 8x10 or something to give it some proper chime.

And a really good chiropractor.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use to swear by 18's. When i was in my Doom metal phase i played out of a Sunn 1x18 stacked on a Fender 1x18, as well as one of the most the absurdly overkill cabs ever made... The Peavey 3620:

That's 2 18"s and 2 10"s... in the same cab.

It has an aesthetic value that's pretty awesome. But, when i tried it in conjunction with other cabs i had... 10"s, 15"s, and 12"s... the 18" speakers are pretty indistinguishable from a 15", but weigh a metric ****ton more.

So, in my experience, there really isn't much of a point to them when you could buy cheaper and more efficient cabs. As in my case, the ONLY reason i'd recommend them is if there was an aesthetic value associated with your live act.

Other than that, I'd pass on them.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Any cab this size is about showmanship and not about sound, there is nothing wrong with that of course but it is about looking awesome not sounding awesome.

firstly speaker size isn't directly related to it's 'sound' which is mainly about the higher harmonics. There are bassy tens and lively 15's out there. You might like the sound of a particular 18 and it probably won't be toppy as it will almost certainly not be designed for bass guitar. A single 18 will be more than capable of generating more bass tha you would want on stage. A decent 18 will set you back £120 over here so you will pay nearly £500 just for the speakers. You could have the pick of a lot of great speakers for that .

If you want to look impressive without breaking your back or the bank balance build some empty cabs and use them as stands to put your real speakers on. Yopu won't be the first person to do that!
Quote by Din of Win

That's 2 18"s and 2 10"s... in the same cab.

I'd really love to play through one of those, just once. Other than that, I'm thinking I just may go 4x15. All I really wanted was something over the top and unnecessary to make my guitar player's full stack look tiny.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
I'd really love to play through one of those, just once. Other than that, I'm thinking I just may go 4x15. All I really wanted was something over the top and unnecessary to make my guitar player's full stack look tiny.

Do you have a way of carrying a 4x15? that's gonna be at least 4' x 4' x 1.5' and easily 100-200 pounds unless you go with neo speakers, cheap thin ply and light handles and small casters.

Also no one likes a volume war Next he's going to get four 4x12's and two heads for a massive stereo setup.
If you want to outshow your guitarist, get a lightweight neo speakers and class D micro amp setup, ie Genz-Benz, Markbass etc. Then you'll have a rig that looks tiny next to his, but goes twice as loud and saves you a few sessions with a chiropractor. Exposing the size of your guitarists rig as unnecessary and egotistical is a better way to show him up than trying to out-ego him, in my opinion. You'll even end up with a nicer rig that way.
There's no ego to it, really. We just joke around like that from time to time. Like I said, this was just a wild idea I got slappin' around on my bass one day.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
An 18" speaker has to move a shorter distance than a 15" to move the same amount air. That's what we learn by applying the inverse square law to this situation. If it were that simple..

When you take into account cone compliance, resonant frequency, input frequency, cone overhang after cessation of signal the waters become a great deal murkier.

I think the 18"s would be best used only as sub woofers, and perhaps unnecessary altogether.

You really can't hear bass as low as those 18"s will reproduce. So, if you can't hear it, you don't need it, unless you're going for the body impact vibration factor. Which does use up a great amount of amplifier, (IMO), for no good reason.

Plus, it's a bit silly to get into a volume war with a guitar. Watt for watt, you'll lose every time. Human hearing is most sensitive in the mid range, and come to think of it, that's where the guitar places most of its energy.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 21, 2012,
4*18 would be a fun installed-sound idea if you happened to get the speakers and materials cheap.

I don't see any point in it at all for a rig you would take to multiple venues. There are no actual benefits to such a rig and both the weight and size would make transport a very big problem. A 2*15 is pushing the limit of what a typical car can hold in the back seat.
Yup my 6x12 barely fit my old car, and now resides at home til I can refinish and get it out the door.

I am all about the Mini Setup.

Of course showmanship, stage act all come into play, and for that, what a guy said above about fake or empty cabs is best. No non musician would know, and at the right angle no one would know. Get four fake 8x10's and then have a little 2x10 mic'd up behind it all.
Recommended threads
1x18 Bass Cabs
DJbonedog
Last post:
by Wicked_Bassist7
Carvin RL 118
maidendeth13
Last post:
by maidendeth13