I've gotten used to casual. Teacher plays classical, and my classmate. But lots of people play casual. Why?

Classical
makes your wrist in a better position for stretching in higher frets.
makes playing standing more at level with your sitting technique.

I do not realize any advantages, in the long wrong particularly taking the initial comfort zone aside.

p.s.
this forum has been one of the most helpful to my guitar endeavor !!! thank youuuu everyoneeee i love uuuuu
I like to play classical, but my back starts hurting even if i sit straight. But I agree practicing classical for about 30 minutes and then doing a gig is better because your already in the standing position
Classical is preferable. I find it helps me put my arm in a comfortable picking position. I prefer being able to get to those higher frets with minimal difficulty.
Well, that depends on what style/guitar do you play. The classical position was obviously developed with the classical guitar in mind and the tehnique for playing classical guitar and playing classical guitar in general is very different from electrical guitar playing. The classical position gives advantages like better angles for picking the strings with your fingers and better left hand position, as these are needed in classical guitar music.
However it is quite awkward to play full chords or power chords in the classical position, since it wasn't made for that, since you basically never play full chords rhythm in classical guitar.
So it all depends an what you want to with your guitar. BTW, I do agree that it is easier to do fast solos and sweep picking with the electrical guitar in classical position.
As a fat git, I find classical to be more comfortable. When the guitar is on my right thigh, the casual stye, I have to reach further around with my left arm, which is awkward.
Quote by rasmus1414
Well, that depends on what style/guitar do you play. The classical position was obviously developed with the classical guitar in mind and the tehnique for playing classical guitar and playing classical guitar in general is very different from electrical guitar playing. The classical position gives advantages like better angles for picking the strings with your fingers and better left hand position, as these are needed in classical guitar music.
However it is quite awkward to play full chords or power chords in the classical position, since it wasn't made for that, since you basically never play full chords rhythm in classical guitar.
So it all depends an what you want to with your guitar. BTW, I do agree that it is easier to do fast solos and sweep picking with the electrical guitar in classical position.

Sums it up right here. If you arent comping chords, definitely practice in classical position. It forces your wrist to be straighter, helping prevent various injuries (I'm suffering from tendonitis atm in my left wrist).
By classical/casual I assume you mean in terms of the guitar sitting on your right leg or left leg. Left = classical, right = causal.

I've played in the classical position for years. Recently, I've *tried* going to the "casual" position a few times because it's a more comfortable sitting position if you happen to be in a crappy chair, but for some reason it just messes with my right shoulder as it pushes it back too far (probably just because I'm so not used to it now). I prefer classical anyway, but it would be nice to actually be able to play in the casual position without it causing problems.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by rasmus1414

What made you come to that conclusion I play guitar in the classical position and I have no trouble playing power chords or full chords at all, in fact it makes playing chords easier in my opinion because of the position it puts your left arm and hand in. Have you ever seen some of the chords classical guitar players are able to achieve in that position? I personally think the classical posture puts the body in a better playing position for playing anything.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
i guess i need to get more used to classical then, from the replies, because i'm currently having a difficult time not stabbing my stomach with my elbow in the higher frets to keep my fingers at better angles.

can someone explain how to go classical better to me? I don't get if the neck is supposed to be slanted away from my body or towards. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but after a short while of my guitar on my other leg it felt so freakin heavy and it hurt. D:
Quote by luxeion
i guess i need to get more used to classical then, from the replies, because i'm currently having a difficult time not stabbing my stomach with my elbow in the higher frets to keep my fingers at better angles.

can someone explain how to go classical better to me? I don't get if the neck is supposed to be slanted away from my body or towards. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but after a short while of my guitar on my other leg it felt so freakin heavy and it hurt. D:

A footstool can help with the awkwardness of playing in the classical position. Assuming you are right handed, find something to rest your left foot (right foot if you are left handed) on to raise it several inches, and you will find your body will be more balanced.
I honestly have no idea. I learned to play classical because that just made sense to me. Also I always played in an office chair, so that had something to do with it.

I just really can't play anything with it on my right leg... I may as well play the guitar behind my head and get the same results.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
For guitar posture, I say have the guitar position exactly the same when sitting as you do when standing. That way a sitting practice is the same as a standing one.

Sitting near the edge of your seat, and have the guitar on it strap.
I can't sit comfortable in classical position with any other guitar than a V. The only advantage I personally notice is that it's easier to reach the higher frets. I can't do chords or play in the first position well at all. It puts a lot more strain on my left arm and back than I strain my right while playing casual.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Classical = More stretch; More finger strength
Casual = more pivot; "easier" bends
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Now I just use the acoustic guitar. But want to turn into electric guitar.
Can anyone tell that which electric guitar is best for the beginner!
"Classical" sitting position is advantageous for the left hand, right hand, and your eyes, as it places both hands with your peripheral vision. The only disadvantage is needing the addition of a foot stool.
a really sexy advantage would be that when playing with randy rhoads or flying v guitars you can play in the classical position without using a guitar strap, so you can just pick up your guitar and shred, also it looks really cool if youve ever seen laiho shred on a stool it looks pretty sick, you can also see both your hands at the same time and it helps build lower back muscles and tone your thighs (srs hahaha)
i dont know if anyone does this but i like playing like this

i put my right on my left leg (so i sit like how a girl would sit so dirty men cant see up her skirt) and then play with my guitar on my right leg. it feels to me like its in between classical and casual position
Oh so this is what a signature is
^I do that but I don't completely cross my leg, I just leave the lower part of my right leg lying on my left thigh.
I played casual for years, but eventually I noticed how much tension it caused for me. Since then I switched to classical and have never looked back.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Classical makes it a lot easier for me to keep my arm in the right position to pick without tension and I can fret notes more easily, perform larger stretches, and keep tension to a minimum. There is literally no disadvantage.