I currently have an Ibanez ATK300, the pickups are pretty weak on it, so i was looking as some Sermour DUncan pickups, and the SMB-4d seemed and sounded good to me. Anyway, i need to know if i can get a SMB-4d to fit/work in my ATK300(its a 3-coil stock pickup in the ibanez); and also, what if i get the SMB-4d 3coil? what difference would it make? the 3 coil pickup is alot more expensive.
Attachments:
-165241705460864350.jpg
I'd check other things first.... I've had my ATK300 for 13 years now, and calling the pickup "weak" is one of the LAST complaints i'd have on it.

It's such a unique pickup/switch system... to replace it you're going to be going through a LOT of stuff. I don't know if any pickups are a direct drop-in replacement, this could lead to not only requiring a body route, but a metal cutter to re-model the ginormous bridge. The wiring of the toggle switch will have to be figured out before the new pup is installed.

First, check the battery. A weak battery will give it less output. Also, different battery TYPES will react differently (dunno why, but it's happened with me that certain 9v battery makes produce crappy output). Check the strings and pickup height.

If those don't work, look on line... there's a common "mod" that people do with their ATKs that just involves simply flipping the pickup so that the bridge and neck coil are flipped. Apparently, this gives the coil selector a broader range.

Check around for mods, but there really aren't a whole lot of them... Maybe on the passive ATK100, but the 300 and 750 are pretty uncommon when it comes to mods since everything about their set up is pretty unique.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I've never been interested in a active bass, but the ATK seems to really grab my attention, as well as the G&L L2000 and MM Ray. How does it really compare to a passive?

I've heard they are better for slap which I've never really done, and make it easier to EQ.

But I've heard also they sound bad with pedals (sometimes/often idk), and couldn't putting a pedal EQ right in front of your pedal chain do the same thing? Or is the fact the pickup itself is so hot doing it?
Quote by askrere
I've never been interested in a active bass, but the ATK seems to really grab my attention, as well as the G&L L2000 and MM Ray. How does it really compare to a passive?

I've owned an L2000, i own an ATK, and I've played a few MM Rays. All actives aren't created equal.

It's hard to compare them, really. First, the L2000 shines brighter as it's both passive AND active.

I'd say actives are a bit more 'modern' and 'sterile' sounding. You have more control over the frequencies themselves. Whereas on a passive, you get a more 'organic' sounding bass, and you can affect more of the overall tone as opposed to the individual frequencies.

Also, active basses are LOUDER.

I've heard they are better for slap which I've never really done, and make it easier to EQ.

The best-bass-for-slap debate is almost as ridiculous as the best-bass-for-punk debate. FWIW, i think P basses sound the best.

But I've heard also they sound bad with pedals (sometimes/often idk), and couldn't putting a pedal EQ right in front of your pedal chain do the same thing? Or is the fact the pickup itself is so hot doing it?

THIS is my big issue with actives.

They don't sound "bad"... but they will interact with a pedal much differently than a passive. It's exactly due to the higher output. IME, this mainly means dirt pedals... but some envelope filters can get wonky as well, especially ones triggered by the attack.

It's like when you go from E standard tuning to drop C... you can't just lower the tuning and expect the bass to work perfectly. It needs to be set-up to accommodate the differences. Likewise, you have to KNOW your pedals and really experiment with the settings when you go from Passive to Active.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

I'd say actives are a bit more 'modern' and 'sterile' sounding.

Killed me with that line.

Shame though cause all those basses look really nice and play nice.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But one person's response shouldn't be what 'kills' it. It's a great soundbite, don't let it sway you until you try them. One person's 'sterile/clinical' is another person's 'detailed.'

Oh I'm not discounting them completely, just less gas
FWIW... you KNOW i love my short scales. The only 34" basses i own these days are full active... my Ibanez ATK300 and my Ibanez CT 5 string w/Sadowsky pre-amp and guts.

I've flipped so many basses over the years, i have very little regret. However, i truly regret selling 3...

-My first bass, a 70's Harmony P bass copy
-An 80's G&L El Toro (it was essentially an L2000 with Jazz sized pups instead of soap-bars)
-An Ibanez SRX390

2 of those are actives.

So, another 'thing' about actives is that their individual tones can be more distinct. An SX, Squire, Fender, and Lakland Jazz bass will sound MUCH more alike than if you compaired an Ibanez SRX, Stagg Jaguar, MM Stingray and a G&L L2000.

So, when/if you do find an active bass that has a good tone to you, it's easier to get more attached to it due to its less replaceability.