Firstly, I couldn't find a thread reviewing guitar instruction sources, but if there is, please post the link to it (make sure it includes metal lead guitar). If not, please express your opinion. I hope you understand what I am looking for (it's pretty clear).
John Petrucci's Rock Discipline

/thread
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
get a teacher

don't separate lead and rhythm
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Rock Discipline has some good stuff in it. I recommend it. I recommend getting a teacher more so.
Rhythm and lead are interconnected. You can't have a good lead without Rhythm. Rhythm itself is an amazing skill to master, it will add to everything you do easily.

Besides that, get a teacher and watch some videos like suggested above and some lick library.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Okay, if it helps anybody I'm on Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 3 right now, just got it the other day.
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by Geldin
Rock Discipline has some good stuff in it. I recommend it. I recommend getting a teacher more so.

Like one can find a metal guitar teacher in WA state
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by Geldin

This! 1000X this!
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Learning gary moore solos by ear helps phrasing, vibrato and bending more than you could imagine.

Learning any guitarists music by ear helps but imo Moore's phrasing, melodic control, dynamics, vibrato and bends are pretty un-rivaled.

Other than that, get a teacher
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by N1K156
Any of those in redmond?

Dunno, I live four and a half thousand miles away, so you tell me.

But a quick wiki search tells me that Redmond is an affluent area and therefore one would assume it is rich in luxuries such as guitar tuition. And its located only 16 miles from Seattle, a large city with a rich musical heritage. I find it hard to believe that you could've find some competent guitar teachers within driving distance.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/lss?query=guitar&srchType=A
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=guitar+lessons+redmond+seattle
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=guitar+lessons+seattle
Learn to internet
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jan 20, 2012,
I'd be willing to do the drive, yet I don't even have a permit...
Quote by Hydra150
Dunno, I live four and a half thousand miles away, so you tell me.

+1
Rock discipline - petrucci
Lead guitar mechanics- Fretboard mastery- Troy stetina
this site also!
But this goes up to 11
Quote by N1K156
BTW does Pacific Music do metal?

Don't just say you want a Metal guitar teacher, that will be hard to find. The way to do it is to give several teachers a try and see who understands you. I've met a lot of 'Metal' teachers who are outclassed by teachers of other styles. In fact, my friend had a 'Metal' teacher, and over two years, he hadn't learned any scales, or theory, he'd just been taught a lot of Megadeth songs and while he'd improved, he hadn't improved as much as me, not to be arrogant, I'd taken in a lot of theory, and I was taught how to use that in soloing, and while my guitar teacher wasn't into metal, he had a huge respect for technical playing, so I was taught how to use all of the techniques. My guitar teacher was into Britpop and played in an Oasis cover band, and he was still one of the best teachers I've ever met, and looking back, I'm really glad I didn't just get a Metal teacher, go in with an open mind and you will be surprised.
Quote by N1K156
BTW does Pacific Music do metal?

Don't get a "metal" teacher. Not to shit on my favorite genre, but a lot of teachers who teach focused on rock and metal are awful. They've got bad habits of their own and they don't tend to know as much theory and such as you'd get from a non-genre specific teacher. Besides that, you won't be exposed to nearly as many ideas as you would otherwise.
What makes a lot of Metal players interesting is their ability to incorporate outside influences into their playing. You need to learn a variety of styles to form your own. Go on youtube, and you'll see a lot of technically gifted players playing their favourite songs, but you have to think about it. Why isn't this guy selling out arenas if he can play Psalm Of Lydia/Concerto/Far Beyond The Sun/Sea Of Lies/Insert Difficult Song Here? Because he didn't write them. He can't. To get out of the bedroom, you have to try and put your own spin on things, and, frankly, having a self-taught guy who knows every Metallica song teaching you (and trust me, it will be Metallica), will not let you find your own voice.
Bear in mind that Kirk Hammett was not taught how to play by a 'metal' teacher (those didnt exist), but was taught by a very creative rock guitarist. He took the ideas and techniques that his teacher taught him and crafted his own genre of music. I bet the same is true of most metal guitarists - good technique and music theory are universal, you create your own style (learning the songs of your influences, preferably by ear, is helpful).
Hmm...so I should not get a genre-specific teacher, yet maybe get Rock Discipline as a complement?
wait, would a teacher instruct you on learning songs by ear?
Quote by N1K156
Hmm...so I should not get a genre-specific teacher, yet maybe get Rock Discipline as a complement?

You're just looking for a good guitar teacher, preferably one whose main focus isnt classical and isn't purely a jazz guy (ie is well versed in pop and rock aswell). Dont be put off if his musical tastes dont align with yours, being exposed to jazz or country or whatever is only going to expand your musical horizons, which is never a bad thing.

Quote by N1K156

Ask him? Different teachers have different methods, some teachers are shit, some are awesome - you'll work out which your teacher is after a couple lessons. A teacher should help you with whatever you need/want help with to achieve your musical goals, you are paying for his time so you have input on how it is spent.

In your first lesson he will be evaluating you and taking mental notes - do the same with him. Dont be afraid to ask questions to find out what he's into, how long he has taught, his teaching method/philosophy, what is his experience as a professional guitarist? etc.
You can go for lessons with as many guys as it takes till you find the right one.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlsi79_how-to-find-a-good-guitar-teacher_music

What age are you?
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by N1K156

Any good teacher would or at least train you to a point where you can do it

Learning by ear is arguably the most important part of music.
^Ive edited that post, btw
Quote by Hydra150

What age are you?

Turning 15 in April, so...14
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Metal-pro
JP's Rock discipline!

Care to elaborate? Saying something without stating the reasoning makes me wanna do this to you:
Quote by N1K156
Care to elaborate? Saying something without stating the reasoning makes me wanna do this to you:
I thought it was wasted time when someone have already spoken my words :3
To be fair, I'd say the fact that it's an exercise book written by John Petrucci doesn't need any other reasoning XD
Quote by CelestialGuitar
To be fair, I'd say the fact that it's an exercise book written by John Petrucci doesn't need any other reasoning XD

Personally I prefer the DVD, but both are good.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Personally I prefer the DVD, but both are good.

I prefer having the books, more accesable in my opinion. You can just open it up and get into it, I used to use it a lot, though it cannot replace a good teacher.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Excactly
hope to get my electric soon so I can start evaluating lessons!
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 5, 2012,