I just found out that I should be using a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable to connect the head of my half-stack to the cab. I can't believe I didn't know this after many years of playing. I've used instrument cables to connect them for years and never had a problem, but I've been reading that that's a bad idea. Somehow I haven't run into trouble with it yet. So I think I'm going to invest in a few speaker cables.

Also, my current rig consists of a GT-6 run into the half-stack. I've been connecting the GT-6 (which has a built-in preamp) to the head with an instrument cable as well. Is that okay?

And finally, the instrument cables I've been using are 20 feet long. I'd like to get a longer one from my GT-6 to my amp, as 20 feet isn't really long enough for a decent-sized stage. I haven't been able to find any instrument cables more than 25 feet long, but I read that several people have mentioned using longer speaker cables to connect to amps that are further away. Is this okay?

So, I have a couple of questions, and would appreciate anyone's input.

1) Should I be using a speaker cable to connect the head to the cab? Should I be using a speaker cable to connect the GT-6 to the head? I don't want to blow anything up.
2) If I should not use a speaker cable to connect the GT-6 to the head, what can I do to allow the amp to be more than 20 or so feet from the pedalboard? I haven't found any instrument cables longer than about 25 feet.

Input appreciated on anything on here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Othersider at Jan 20, 2012,
Speaker Cable = The conductors are well-separated from each other. Used for HIGH POWER.
You NEED a speaker cable to go from your amp to the speaker because it is like 30 - 100 watts!

Instrument Cable = The conductor is shielded, AKA the 'ground' is surrounding the 'hot'. Used for LOW POWER. The current is too small to short out the lead, and the shielding reduces noise in your signal. Basically use this cable everywhere else.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
power amp --> cabinet REQUIRES speaker cable.

i think you got lucky. or have damaged the transformer to a point where it is fine for the moment.

also just in case you don't know, you NEED to have a load [speakers] attached to your head when it is on, or you will blow your transformers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Guys, thanks for the clarification and quick replies.

Can you tell me if it's safe to use a speaker cable to connect the GT-6 to the amp? I need something longer than a 20-foot instrument cable if possible.
You're one lucky SOB. When I got my first cab I was specifically told to only use UNSHIELDED SPEAKER CABLES to connect to it via head.

1) Only use unshielded speaker cables to connect from head -> cabinet. Do not use unshielded speaker cables for anything else.

2) The only thing I can think of is to have something in between the GT-6 and your head if you need more than 20 feet. You could go with something like Guitar->GT-6->something with true bypass(tuner, noise gate)->head with two 20 foot cables, giving you about 35 feet to work with.
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
Would these speaker cables work?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-16-Gauge-Speaker-Cable-107251142-i1128322.gc?esid=330078.001.095

Also, I found this female-to-female connector. Think this could work? I ran across someone who said the longer you make the instrument cable, the weaker the signal gets.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-1-4---F--1-4---F--Connector-335082-i1602217.gc?esid=100202653_C
Quote by Othersider

Yup I believe that's what you're looking for.

Personally I'd get ones with lifetime warranty. I buy Mogami because they are completely transparent, reliable, nice to work with and of course the lifetime warranty.

A note on the adapters: I've had those things before and they never last the test of time. I'd stay away from them if you don't want your signal randomly getting weaker. Adding things to your effects chain doesn't make your signal weaker as long as you level it right. The length of cables would only affect signal strength if they were damaged, otherwise your signal will be good unless you add about 6-7 more pedals to it. And in that case, you can even get a signal booster.
Last edited by Metal_Master_0 at Jan 20, 2012,
Thanks a lot man.

So, a long speaker cable running from guitar FX to amp isn't a good idea? I've read mixed opinions on that.
No problem.

You'll get a lot of unwanted background noise if you do that, and leveling could be a nightmare if you use the speaker cable. The lack of a ground in the cable makes it a much more hot signal.

Your tone will change drastically when you start using the correct cable to connect head -> speakers, so I can't tell you which would be better. Going off of your rig setup, and thinking about your tone (and your ears, when the feedback hits), I'd go with standard cables for FX -> amp.

By all means if you wanna do it your way, do it. You know your situation better than I do.
Quote by Othersider
Thanks a lot man.

So, a long speaker cable running from guitar FX to amp isn't a good idea? I've read mixed opinions on that.

Don't. You should be able to find 50' instrument able faulty easily. If distance is that much of an issue and you just can't find longer cable get a DI box and use it from your fx -> cable -> DI -> more cable -> head or buy a wireless system to go from your fx to your head
Thanks to everybody who posted in here. You've been really helpful and you might have saved me a couple thousand dollars.