Just a gut feeling, what digital did to amps, is now being done to guitars. I think I'll pass.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Guitar that tunes itself is like a girlfriend that eats her own pu$$y.
There's nothing new. Peavey uses here a system similar to the one used by Line 6 in their despicable Variax Series. It's digital modelling, in fact, and the guitar's sound, when detuned and using the digital modelling to continue playing in tune, is quite crapy. Don't take the Youtube for a refference in terms of hi-fi sound.
But self-modelling guitars that are not using digital modelling are available for quite a long time now. There are two schools of "self-tuning": Gibson's Robot Series (using self-tuning tuning pegs), and Fret-Kings Super-matic (using a revolutionary self-tuning bridge designed by Trev Wilkinson). These systems don't use digital modelling, hence don't alter the sound. They have a pre-set memory and rotate the pegs or, respectively, the saddles in a couple of seconds, up to the right pitch. From my own experience, Fret-King's system is cheaper, much more reliable and user-friendly than Gibson's.
As you can see, there's no such thing as real self-tuning. You have to tune the guitar yourself (Fret-King's system allows you to pre-set 6 different tunings), memorise these tunings and then, using a hidden pick-up, the guitar is able to tell you when it's de-tuned, and then, by pushing one button, it will re-tune in a few seconds.
Looks great for gigging situations. And for guitars that constantly go out of tune or messy intonation.
Quote by rv_phoenix
There's nothing new. Peavey uses here a system similar to the one used by Line 6 in their despicable Variax Series. It's digital modelling, in fact, and the guitar's sound, when detuned and using the digital modelling to continue playing in tune, is quite crapy. Don't take the Youtube for a refference in terms of hi-fi sound.
But self-modelling guitars that are not using digital modelling are available for quite a long time now. There are two schools of "self-tuning": Gibson's Robot Series (using self-tuning tuning pegs), and Fret-Kings Super-matic (using a revolutionary self-tuning bridge designed by Trev Wilkinson). These systems don't use digital modelling, hence don't alter the sound. They have a pre-set memory and rotate the pegs or, respectively, the saddles in a couple of seconds, up to the right pitch. From my own experience, Fret-King's system is cheaper, much more reliable and user-friendly than Gibson's.
As you can see, there's no such thing as real self-tuning. You have to tune the guitar yourself (Fret-King's system allows you to pre-set 6 different tunings), memorise these tunings and then, using a hidden pick-up, the guitar is able to tell you when it's de-tuned, and then, by pushing one button, it will re-tune in a few seconds.

ya but the plus with this system (and i use the term "plus" loosley) is that your strings could be at any tension on this guitar and your can still be in standard.

i know if hendrix had that guitar back then his bends would be a lot crazier

but it looks interesting for under $500
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Although Gibson's Robot system is available for almost a decade, and Trev's for more than a year, I haven't seen any significant player using such guitars. I wonder why. As for gigging, a good pedal tuner an always tell you you're detuned, and tuning never takes more than 20 seconds. Not to mention double locking tremolos, who prevent any surprise of this kind. But I kinda doubt Jimi would have used them, I can't tell you exactly why, I have the impression he might just not liked them...
Quote by coolstoryangus
even autotune couldnt make the tone kings playing sound good.

This is truth...how can anybody take his reviews serious? But i digress...

"all for under $500"...hell why not? If you can afford it I wouldn't see why this wouldn't be a cool thing to have. I'll be following this.
dont hate on the tone king!

lol but he does always play that same riff
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Gibson Robot guitars
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Wasn't aware Trev Wiklinson had made a system like that? Anyone know the price of one off hand? Just out of curiousity.
Trev isn't selling its bridge separately, for the moment. He's selling one of his Fret-Kings factory fitted with this bridge. The price is much lower than Gibson's Robot Series, but if you want to know for sure, check on his website: whamster.com.
It seems like a way to quickly switch between alternate tunings without having to buy two guitars. Though one can only wonder whether the pitch correction actually sounds good
I hate what is happening to guitars. Basically in 10 years guitars and just going to play themselves and the people sitting with them in their lap are going to be called musicians.

STOP TAKING THE HARD WORK AND MUSICIANSHIP OUT OF BEING A MUSICIAN, DAMNIT!
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
Quote by EspTro
dont hate on the tone king!

lol but he does always play that same riff

oh look at this bad boy right here
standing up for tone king.
That is pretty gay if you ask me. Are people really that lazy these days?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The most useful new tuning technology is really the TC electronic Polytune. Speeds up tuning without detracting from a guitars tone.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by coolstoryangus
oh look at this bad boy right here
standing up for tone king.

also btw did anyone catch that it also has perfect intonation all the way up the neck? idk but this guitar looks useful
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by TypicalRocker

STOP TAKING THE HARD WORK AND MUSICIANSHIP OUT OF BEING A MUSICIAN, DAMNIT!

Hard work? Musicianship?

Puhlease... it's tuning ffs..

I see this as a reasonably interesting idea. If it totally sorts intonation it'll have a lot of uses within the studio when you get those pesky tuning issues you can get.

Perhaps a more popular use for this technology would be for a FR equipped guitar, if you want to change tunings on that guitar it's pretty useful. But also if you break a string mid song you can get back in tune and finish the track before switching guitars/restringing.

The question is what does it do to the sound and whether it can be retrofitted to any guitar (or put in a stomp box/rack.)

I hate the fact as guitarists, electric in particular, we are so against anything new and aren't willing to even give something a chance..
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
If this was Facebook, i would like your post sir ^^. I find it to be useful to be able to swap tunings quickly without breaking out a tuner and spending time tuning when I could be playing instead, especially for more unusual tunings. A self tuning system would make live shows a lot easier because I write in three or four different tunings. It's not taking ''hard work and musicianship'' out of being a musician. Why dismiss something that could make life easier for musicians?