As the title suggests, I'm after 3 things and have a tentative list for each; I'm looking for any other suggestions, keeping in mind that they have to be easily accessible in Australia. Sorry for any potential similarities to previous threads I may have made.

First up is the controller - I'm not sure if I'm calling it the right thing here, but basically I just want it effectively give me 3 channels, much like you would expect from an amp footswitch, but does so by managing pedals (eg I have bypass for cleans, one channel for rhythm, one for leads, that kind of thing). I came across the Radial Big Shot EFX Effects Switcher while searching very quickly, and it *seems* like it's exactly what I'm after, but could someone verify that? If not, what else can you suggest that is of a similar price?

Second: metal pedal. I essentially need something that will sound big and American. Mostly looking at Breaking Benjamin (think So Cold, Diary of Jane, Breath) and Dream Theater (think In the Presence of Enemies, These Walls, Never Enough) levels of distortion (so not that much by many metal bands' standards), but potentially up to Ascendancy era Trivium.

I'm not really necessarily looking to go cheap or expensive here, but to give you an idea of price, I've been looking at the MI Audio Tube Zone and Wampler Triple Wreck mostly. Others I've had a look at are the Emma starts-with-a-P-weird-name-one, Zvex Box of Metal, Amp Tweaker Tight Metal, MXR Fullbore Metal, and I think it was a TUA Metalcore or something like that.

Absolutely hated the Emma - the voicing was way off what I'm after - from memory, it sounded like it would have suited that kind of low-fi black metal sound better. Far too fizzy. Zvex Box of Metal was better, but but not by much at all. Amp Tweaker Tight Metal sounded a little too aggressive and no video I could find really had a setting that wasn't specifically aimed at melting your face. MXR Fullbore Metal is a can of bees. TUA Metalcore is, surprise, surprise, definitely a metalcore pedal through and through - would work much better if I primarily played In This Moment, early Trivium etc.

As for the first two I listed, the Tube Zone sounded pretty good when I tried it, but it did become a little bit fizzy when pushed past 3 o'clock on gain, and I didn't get to try it with an amp with average or worse cleans like my Blackstar HT-5 (I played a Gibson Les Paul Traditional into the pedal into a Blues Jr when trying it out at my local store). Otherwise it was pretty good. There isn't a place probably within a thousand km of where I live that stocks the Triple Wreck though which is an issue. From demos and purely what the pedal was designed for in the first place, it seems like it fits the bill for me very well. Any suggestions there? Basically what I'm after is whether or not I should chance it on the Triple Wreck - ie just get it.

Third: noise gate/reducer. I'm more or less settled on an ISP; with the above two things added to the gear in my sig, would either Decimator be significantly better than the other? I'm also considering the MXR Smart Gate (yes/no?). I've tried the Boss NS-2 -- I can really only describe it as smothering the treble under several mattresses.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 20, 2012,
For the 'channel' thing, get someone to make you a true bypass looper, it's what you need, and it's far cheaper. An Aussie user on here, greeny23, also known Tim Green of Toyroom FX could easily make one up for you.

For the gate, just roll with an ISP. I'd go the G-string, but that's just my preference. I found it worked slightly better than the ordinary Decimator.

As for the dirt pedal, the Triple Wreck is a fantastic pedal I think, I'd go for it.
Can't say much for a controller. But can give you some good dirt ones.

Mad Proffesor Mighty Red Dist. (the cheaper one, not the handwired one)
Hardwire TL-2
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

As for the noise reduction, I've got the Smartgate and it works fine. Doesn't change tone and cancels really well. Though if you wanted to spend a few extra bucks go for the decimator. Haven't tried one personally but everyone gets wet over them

Plus I PM'd you
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Jan 20, 2012,
you do now hey?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
you do now hey?

Don't listen to him, he's been on the drink

But he makes good things.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt

Haha I figured as much
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Eppicurt

Pretty much. Here's his site dude. There's not much on it about him making TB Loopers from memory, but he does make them, and I daresay they'll be far cheaper than a large production piece.
Quote by Bob_Smith
Haha I figured as much

PM'd ya back btw
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
**** yeah.

nah, but really i can help out.

especially for Melbourne Boys's's
mojostompboxes.com
1. If you basically want presets, you need a switcher and controller. Cheapest route would be an RJM Mini FX Gizmo and Mastermind, which still isn't all that cheap (a bit over $600 for a simple set up).
2. Look into the Okko Dominator and Dr. Scientist The Elements. Owned both and they make every other high gain pedal look like a toy. They're no Diezel but they're pedals. The Elements is more modern voiced, the Okko is like a really molested Marshall.
3. Save your money and get the regular Decimator. The G-String sucks ass. I spent $100 extra expecting to be able to use it in front and in the loop at the same time and all it does is have a loop at the front so that it always sees your clean signal for tracking.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Bob_Smith
just because we slaughtered you in athletics :P

thats uncalled for..

**** this, make it yourself.

mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
thats uncalled for..

**** this, make it yourself.

i misread the post, my bad :P
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
This thread. I don't know where it's going but I like it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Tim drinks to numb the pain of being molested by a Suhr as a kid.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Tim drinks to numb the pain of being molested by a Suhr as a kid.

That explains so much.
Quote by Eppicurt
Tim drinks to numb the pain of being molested by a Suhr and Ibanez tag team as a kid.

Fix'd.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

**** i hate suhr. and ibanez. except for the TS808HW. pure handwired goodness..
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
**** i hate suhr. and ibanez. except for the TS808HW.

Play mine. Then judge.

Oh, and you were molested by single coils as well.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
i have 14 single coils in the room i'm sitting (drinking) in... not scared at all.
mojostompboxes.com