Hi guys,
Im in a new band and we want to get some recording done, We have the latest MacBook Pro and an ancient "Electro Voice M100" (I tried recording my amp with it and I barely got any output from it). Can u give us a cheap mic (around $120 US) for going into the mac book, If u have a better solution including a cheap mic and interface we are open to them!
Please help out
Also we want to record guitar and bass with the setup...
I too am in a similar predicament and would be interested in any advice...
I thought about that, but I'm worried it'll sound terrible when plugged directly into the Macbook input due to the lack of a decent soundcard..
I wouldn't suggest lining into your computer directly. If you're going to be recording anything more then just "fun" demos, I would advise getting at least a small mixer (I have a Behringer Xenyx 802: $50 dollars). This is because you will have more control over the volume of the mic (many mics do not produce enough volume on their own), not to mention have phantom power for condenser mics. Onto the next point: for mics I would recommend the SM57 and and an MXL 990. The SM57 is around $100 dollars, the MXL 990 is about $60. Obviously this takes you over budget a little bit, but it is my current set up and it works very well for getting good quality recordings.
Would that act as an interface if we plugged the mixer straight into the mic input.
SM57-> Audio Interface->Mac

You dont need a Mixer. You can adjust the levels in your DAW.
Ibanez Prestige RG3270
Axe FX II
Depending how important recording is to you:

Sell your Mac and use that money to buy a pc, mic, and Saffire 6 audio interface. You will literally have better performing everything than your current situation.

Alternatively buy a mic and Saffire 6 for your Mac. Until then don't waste your money, a Line 6 UX2 is the lowest I would go.

If you were to sell the mac you could get a nicer mic though.

I just droppe some financial and recording knowledge on all yo asses :p lol
Last edited by FireHawk at Jan 20, 2012,
great idea! sell the mac. its only home to the likes of pro tools and logic.. its not like its the industry standard...
Ibanez Prestige RG3270
Axe FX II
Quote by ibanez_keag
great idea! sell the mac. its only home to the likes of pro tools and logic.. its not like its the industry standard...

You can run pro tools on a PC. Just because its industry standard doesn't make it the best. PC and MAC are both very capable, but a MAC cost more so if you are on a low budget why pay more for something really unneeded. Not to mention if he is on a low budget he probably isn't even using Logic or Pro Tools (legally).
Last edited by FireHawk at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by ibanez_keag

While I'm not going to suggest selling the Mac, because he's already spent a ton of money on it, this statement made me laugh.

There is nothing special about a Mac, all the hardware they're built from is available to anyone willing to research what's in them. While you might not be able to build one of their laptops persay, you can certainly build the exact same machine as a MacPro/iMac, just without the Apple case, for about 1/3 the price of buying it from Apple. There is nothing wrong with Windows; if built right, it will outperform any Apple at a similar price, no contest. You're paying a huge premium for a Mac, just because it has the Apple logo on it and is "cool." Not to say OSX isn't better for audio work, because it is, but I'm sure what FireHawk was getting at, is that you can buy a Windows PC that's of better spec, for much less, and get nearly the same performance, if not better.

Also, Pro Tools works just fine on Windows.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com