im planning to buy an shure sm57. and I wanted to record my amp with it. what is the best way to get the sound on my pc?

(i already have a XLR to 1/4 cable) is a 1/4 cable to 3.5mm(3.5mm is the seize of my PC input) good?

or should i get a audio interface or something?

would this work as an audio interface? http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=102&cat=13&type=90
Last edited by Iynyrd at Jan 20, 2012,
You should get an interface. Something like a Focusrite Saffire 6 or a Tascam US800. Just depends on what your price range is. You can record by going through your microphone input, but honestly it's going to sound like crap.
Yeah you are definitely going to need an external sound card, you can often find them used online for pretty cheap. Also check out this video for some tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Superior Drummer 2.0