Can someone who is more adept with numbers than me please try to answer this totally important maths question?

Hypothetically, were an average person to be completely hollow (like a jar) what would their capacity be?

And furthermore,

How many silverfish would it take to fill aforementioned man-jar?

I say a million. My girlfriend says 50,000

But what the **** do we know?

Any ideas?

Show your work.

Cheers
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
For the human question. Fill a large container with water. Put a human in it. Catch all the displaced water.

Solved.

Silverfish are about an inch in length, so 1.27 cm. Assuming a width and hight of 0.5cm, that's 0.3175cm3.

Divide the volume of displaced water by 0.3175 and bingo, that many Silver fish
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Jan 20, 2012,
Calculate the volume of an human being: Height x Width x Depth
Calculate the volume of a silverfish; [use the same method]
Divide Volume [human] with Volume [silverfish]
And there is your answer.
Why didn't I use actual numbers? Because the volume varies from human to human, and from silverfish to silverfish.
If you really want numbers, use this method with desired human/silverfish.
The average blood volume of a human is about 5 liters.
Imagine 16,000 silverfish crawling through your arteries and veins...
cat
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I got 104040 silver fish, taken that the average person is 33032 cm^3 and the silver fish take up .3175 cm^3. That's all I'm giving you, I'm not writing out the calculation's beacuse some were 20 digit's long.
Quote by PaulyVengeance
Well done, you've essentially just raged at 3 slices of bread. Aren't you a fucking genius?
Quote by guitarxo

probably the first time you made me NOPENOPENOPE
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

When you say "hollow", I assume you mean like a tasty-ass crustacean who's been boiled and eaten out, leaving only an empty shell. I say this because humans don't really have an exoskeleton or any kind of outer "layer" that could be used as a deposit for tiny animals

I don't know who you had in mind but if you're planning to go Dexter on this person (hey, I'm not judging) may I suggest peeling off the skin in its entirety. If you're somehow able to pull this off while keeping the skin intact you would of course then proceed to taping off every orifice, otherwise your silverfishes would be able to escape (hey, if they can enter your ear while you're out camping in the woods, they're DEFINETLY going to find their exits unless you take your precautions)

In the end you'd still be facing one small problem: it'd be pretty hard to tell at which point your morbid vessel has been filled to its full capacity. You see, the human skin is without a doubt the most flexible organ the human body has, so if you were to fill this bag o' dead leather with insects until it seems totally full you'd just have to wait a couple of days until the skin has stretched out enough for you to add more stuffing

Depending on who you decide to brutally murder in order for this experiment to take place (in the name of trivial science of course) this whole process may go on for weeks or even months until you'll eventually end up with a grotesque, hairy, decomposing stretch mark-covered human balloon

If you're wondering what this looks like, just ask yer momma

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Work out the volume of water that has the same mass as an average human, then divide that by the volume of a silverfish.

stratkat
Quote by DeaThrash
Calculate the volume of an human being: Height x Width x Depth
Calculate the volume of a silverfish; [use the same method]
Divide Volume [human] with Volume [silverfish]
And there is your answer.
Why didn't I use actual numbers? Because the volume varies from human to human, and from silverfish to silverfish.
If you really want numbers, use this method with desired human/silverfish.

wat

You know humans aren't cuboids, right?