Hey,

I'm looking to buy a bass for myself as a beginner, i play some guitar though nothing serious.

I'm wondering what bass is good for a beginner, but also one with good sound quality to play small supporting gigs within around 6 months time.

I have a budget of around £250 (willing to buy second hand), and currently i'm looking at a Danelectro 63 bass reissue.

Any thoughts on this bass, or any suggestions of a good bass in my price limit.

Thanks
I. LOVE. Danelectro instruments!

That said, they are niche instruments and carry with them an air of "love it or hate it". If you get use to the Dano' 63, your muscle memory wont serve you very well on any other bass.

Is it a 34" 63 or a 30" 63?

In either case, it'll mostly resemble a "Jazz Bass". Which is a Fender specific bass, but the Jazz Bass moniker is used to describe any bass with a setup that included 2 single-coil pickups.

If you have it already, i can't think of much i would prefer OVER it for 250.

Does it have a Wood bridge, or the 4-saddle metal bridge? Neither is BETTER, but the latter lends itself to more accurate intonation and string height adjustment.

If you have any specific Dano' questions, i'd be more than happy to help!

BONUS: One of my fave bands use ONLY Danelectro 63s!!

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
my thoughts on the danelectro is that it looks awesome. no idea of the sound.
andd ive heard good things about the squier bass's which should be in your price range.

edit: those girls would make any instrument look good...
Quote by Din of Win

Is it a 34" 63 or a 30" 63?

Does it have a Wood bridge, or the 4-saddle metal bridge? Neither is BETTER, but the latter lends itself to more accurate intonation and string height adjustment.

Thanks for such a good reply !

It's a 34" long scale, and it has the 4-saddle metal bridge!

Quick question; would it be suitable for punk/indie music, i'm mainly interested in learning Blink-182 covers and newer indie rock ?
I'd get one, there is nothing to fear about getting a bass that isn't the industry standard if you know it's good and will work for you.

Din what do you mean it won't translate over well? I've only played a little bit on some dano guitars. Does it have one of those necks where it stays the same width the whole way down?

Edit: A lot of bands use danos, I think NOFX? uses a dano bass. IDK much about that kind of punk, but it's a guy called fat mike.

Don't Pigeon Hole yourself into thinking you're only going to play blink songs and "indie" covers. Once you actually start playing things go in very different directions, and you come into a lot of different music/grow out of other stuff.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by iBQ
Thanks for such a good reply !

It's a 34" long scale, and it has the 4-saddle metal bridge!

Awesome! It's definitely a keeper! I would suggest some Nickle-wound strings as opposed to the more common steel strings. But, if steel is all you can get, it's not a big deal. The nickles just seem to vibe with the lipstick pups more.

Quick question; would it be suitable for punk/indie music, i'm mainly interested in learning Blink-182 covers and newer indie rock ?

It's GREAT for it.

I play power-pop-punk and noise/dream-pop. I've used a Danelectro DC bass for both. It has the same pickups as the 63, just a different body shape.

PLENTY of Punk and (morseo) indie-rock bands have used Dano's. On the punk side, Fat Mike, of the band NOFX, famously switched to Danelectros after a back injury that made his heavier P basses too painful. So, for playing Blink 182 stuff, it'll be great.

He uses a DC, but the single pickup version.

On the indie side, Dano's are more common place. The 63 ranks with the DC and Longhorn as the more popular Danelectros that are used. So you're treading familiar ground with it.

Shoot... even Entwhistle played a Dano:
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by askrere

Din what do you mean it won't translate over well? I've only played a little bit on some dano guitars. Does it have one of those necks where it stays the same width the whole way down?

Yep... it's weird... not only is it the same length the whole way down (non-tapered), but it's got a rather deep/thick "C" shape to it. To top it off, the fretboard is VERY flat. The flat fretboard was the weirdest tactile thing to me.

Not bad by any means... just different if you play a more traditional Fender style.

Don't Pigeon Hole yourself into thinking you're only going to play blink songs and "indie" covers. Once you actually start playing things go in very different directions, and you come into a lot of different music/grow out of other stuff.

Quoted for truth.

The big ethos behind punk and indie music is going AGAINST the standard. Somewhere down the line instruments seemed to break this, and everyone started playing very similar things.

Play what feels and sounds best to YOU. In my experience, playing both these genres; you get WAY more compliments if you're playing something different.

My silver sparkle Danelectro DC bass and my Silver sparkle Kustom200 head got me PLENTY of notice.