I've been using .11 gauges in D standard tuning for a almost a year now, and I still can't do fast alternate picking on them. I used to be extremely quick with alternate picking, and I've noticed that my fast down picking has also extremely suffered as well. Same problem with chording then going into fast picking. You'd think that by now you'd get used to the heavier strings? Any advice?
It's not really any more or less than what I usually have been doing. It's so frustrating getting the pick caught under the string in fast sections!
If the pick is getting caught under the strings I'd suggest it's more of a technique issue than an equipment issue.

How much of the pick do you usually have showing? I used to get the pick caught regularly till I used less of the pick and got rid of a lot of tension in my picking hand.
Quote by Anon17
If the pick is getting caught under the strings I'd suggest it's more of a technique issue than an equipment issue.

How much of the pick do you usually have showing? I used to get the pick caught regularly till I used less of the pick and got rid of a lot of tension in my picking hand.

Yeah, the pick should never be under the strings and pulling up. Your pick should be angled so that it is not flat against a string (too much resistance).

Most questions regarding speed have nothing to do with speed as speed is a byproduct of accuracy and control.