So been playing guitar for awhie but mainly metal, ive started to try and play some soft songs by bands like Foo Fighters songs like Learn to Fly, Monkey Wrench.

The problem im having is the amp setting i seem to only get alot of Gain or nothing ive played around with the Bass and Treble but doesnt seem to make any difference. If i turn to clear tone i get accoustic type of sound. Im struggling to get the right sound out of the amp

My amp is a Marshall MG15
http://www.nzmusician.co.nz/images/0206/Marshall-amp.jpg
And by guitar is a PRS Stagg
http://mmo.net.my/store/images/products/R500FBAM.jpg
Im not saying there great when i brough it i was only just starting but surly you can get more than two sounds out of it
What kind of sounds are you trying to get out of it?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Something other than high Distortion that all i seem to get. Something a bit softer for bands like Foo Fighters
I would suggest putting everything at 12 o'clock and then rolling back from there. I never messed with an MG amp but in terms of versatility, there just isn't much there. If you are getting too much gain regardless, try rolling back the volume pot on your guitar.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Ok thanks what sort of amp would anyone recommend to get a variety of different sounds or am i best keeping whats if got and getting an effects pedal.
Depends on your budget man. Anything will pretty much out-perform an MG, especially the 15 watt version. For getting an array of different sounds while still staying within budget, I would suggest a modelling amp like a Peavey Vypyr.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Quote by the_b1ues
Im not saying there great when i brough it i was only just starting but surly you can get more than two sounds out of it

Nope.

you get crap and then crappier.

try this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Quote by the_b1ues
that page would have been helpful but its closed

No, that's the information they want you to provide. People start what amps all the time and it's easier to have a set of rules. That post is that set of rules for what to include in your post.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Genres? - Mainly heavy metal but also bands like Foo Fighters Nirvana,

New or Used? -Ether

Home or Gig? -Home

Closest City? - Bournmouth

Current Gear? - Prs Stagg
Quote by the_b1ues
Genres? - Mainly heavy metal but also bands like Foo Fighters Nirvana,

New or Used? -Ether

Home or Gig? -Home

Closest City? - Bournmouth

Current Gear? - Prs Stagg

Budget?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Foo's used Mesa's for ages, but I think they recently changed

either way...for home use you're not gonna be getting a Mesa....I'd suggest a modelling amp
Well instead of telling you to spend $$$ on an amp like everybody else mess with the knobs a little bit more. Instead of the treble and bass knobs which wont affect the gain (which is the problem you're highlighting) mess with the "gain" knob. I used to be a noob like everyone else and think the best distortion tone was when the knobs at 10...not true. Turn it back a little bit (halfway to 3/4 i think would be good for what you're wanting), adjust the bass and treble knobs to where the amp will sound alright, and go from there. If you're still not getting the sound you want and you dont have the money to upgrade an amp buy a modeling pedal.