Hey all, I seem to really be struggling with my timing. If I am improvising and just playing to a drumbeat I seem to be fine. When I'm attempted to play in time to a song I just can't seem to hold it. I was attempting to play Pleasure - Glide but when I am playing along with the song I mess up straight away. Any tips? I have a metronome inbuilt into a b2.1u but it doesn't help much.

Also on the subject of improv, should I really be study some music theory? I have no clue about scales or even which notes im playing.
Last edited by mikka23 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by mikka23
Hey all, I seem to really be struggling with my timing. If I am improvising and just playing to a drumbeat I seem to be fine. When I'm attempted to play in time to a song I just can't seem to hold it. I was attempting to play Pleasure - Glide but when I am playing along with the song I mess up straight away. Any tips? I have a metronome inbuilt into a b2.1u but it doesn't help much.

Also on the subject of improv, should I really be study some music theory? I have no clue about scales or even which notes im playing.

IMHO, I think playing to the click of a metronome is harder than playing to a drum beat (either live drummer or drum machine)...

keep practicing (intensively)...no secret tricks...it will come in time.

It will however not come by doing nothing.... just lock yourself in the woodshed for a year to five...

also: practice with your beat at a very slow tempo, as this will increase your control and how you handle empty space....people think playing fast is harder but it's not...grooving slowly is difficult because the tendency exists to try to fill up all the space.
Quote by jtkguitar
IMHO, I think playing to the click of a metronome is harder than playing to a drum beat (either live drummer or drum machine)...

keep practicing (intensively)...no secret tricks...it will come in time.

It will however not come by doing nothing.... just lock yourself in the woodshed for a year to five...

also: practice with your beat at a very slow tempo, as this will increase your control and how you handle empty space....people think playing fast is harder but it's not...grooving slowly is difficult because the tendency exists to try to fill up all the space.

Well yeah that's the main problem I have. I went from playing Level 42 stuff like love games to much slower songs with pauses. I can never control the length of pauses.
Quote by mikka23
Well yeah that's the main problem I have. I went from playing Level 42 stuff like love games to much slower songs with pauses. I can never control the length of pauses.

can you count? (not being negative)

if so, count the the beats and tap your foot- play the notes in the proper place where they sync to the beat...this will also test you hearing too...

it takes much time to develop good time (years in some cases)....it's not an over night thing and it does not come naturally to all...

like I said just keep practicing and don't get discouraging...playing music can be a very humbling experience, whereby failure is usually obvious.
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jan 20, 2012,
Subdivide the beats, counting 1-e-and-a- 2-e-and-a- etc.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Thanks for the the tips, definitely foot tapping helps. Maybe its also a pretty difficult song to time? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6FCx3MurY

I just don't think I practice each song enough. I practice until I can play the main riffs but never really play through the whole song often.
Quote by mikka23
Thanks for the the tips, definitely foot tapping helps. Maybe its also a pretty difficult song to time? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6FCx3MurY

I just don't think I practice each song enough. I practice until I can play the main riffs but never really play through the whole song often.

do you have a sample of your playing that I could listen to? I can give yo a better evaluation and advice if I can hear it first hand...perhaps a 1-2minute clip playing through some changes...

I also think your choice of music is a little on the advanced side...you might want to practice something a bit more intermediate and build up to the faster more intricate pieces....maybe some fingerstyle walking through a few chord changes....
Quote by jtkguitar
do you have a sample of your playing that I could listen to? I can give yo a better evaluation and advice if I can hear it first hand...perhaps a 1-2minute clip playing through some changes...

I also think your choice of music is a little on the advanced side...you might want to practice something a bit more intermediate and build up to the faster more intricate pieces....maybe some fingerstyle walking through a few chord changes....

Thanks I was thinking that as well. Even though I can play the riffs and most things for these more advanced song I constantly make mistakes which obviously throws me out of time. I'll see if I can make a video but to be honest its a complete mess when I try playing along to the music.

Here is an older video, what I generally to work on my timing. Just try to make up riffs but keep it time as much as possible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulR0M3MAaOg
Quote by mikka23
Thanks I was thinking that as well. Even though I can play the riffs and most things for these more advanced song I constantly make mistakes which obviously throws me out of time. I'll see if I can make a video but to be honest its a complete mess when I try playing along to the music.

if you make a video don't play along to a song...just play to a beat of sorts.
Thanks for the comment. I only noticed how much my fingers come of the fret board after watching my video. In particular the middle finger comes way off and isnt used much if at all. Definitely need to try and sort. Also I don't seem to move much to slap the lower strings, maybe why I am a lot worse at it.

Here is me trying to play Glide. I definitely rush parts and I also get the second part of the main riff wrong for sure. Not sure what I am doing wrong though. Not sure why the low notes sounds so horrible on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umg6Pg41XwA&feature=youtu.be

Love your improv video by the way. The kind of grooves I like.
You aren't listening to where the beat is - you're sort of just playing the riffs at any old place - practice at a much much slower tempo (like half speed) and just get the notes falling in the right places.

Also, as a side note, I'm really not a fan of wrapping the thumb around the fingerboard, especially for fretting notes.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
You aren't listening to where the beat is - you're sort of just playing the riffs at any old place - practice at a much much slower tempo (like half speed) and just get the notes falling in the right places.

Also, as a side note, I'm really not a fan of wrapping the thumb around the fingerboard, especially for fretting notes.

Thanks for the heads up. I seem to be able to get the starting part in time, or at least I can tell when Im out of time with it. The part where I hammer-on then slide from the 1st the 3rd fret sounds wrong no matter how I time it. You are right though, slower tempo helps. I always try and play too fast, this was actually slowed down quite a bit from what I usually do.

Thats the only instance where I use the thumb for fretting, it just seems uncomfortable to use my other fingers. On some songs its necessary for muting purposes though.

Rewatching the video now I see there is only may one part where I am actually in time and its about half way through for a bar.
Quote by Killerfridge

thumb wrapping is just a matter of comfort and preference....Jimi Hendrix and Louis Johnson did it without any detriment.