I quote "Leaders are bands of any sub-genre that started it or created their own sound while the followers follow the sound of the leaders and establish this sound. The wannabees are those bands who want to sound like the leaders, but they can't to do that without sounding generic".

All I listen to today are the leaders of a sub genre, because there's only "wannabes" left! There are some "followers" that are good, but they could be more creative and try to break out of being a "follower". I think this is becoming a problem in todays metal scene and especially in the sub genres I listen to such as power, thrash, melodic death, and traditional metal and of these especially Power metal and thrash metal. Come on! How many bands hide behind the "We are here to bring thrash back" statement and then copys exodus or slayer? And which power metal band doesn't sound like Stratovarius?

I think all new metal bands need to get their head straight and think out something new! Djent is also becoming more filled with "wannabes" AND "followers" every day!

Anyone have some thoughts on this? Fell free to recommend a band that is very creative and isn't some "follower" or "wannabe".
I've been saying this for years. If you really feel compelled to sound like a band you enjoy, then make that band one that did something different in the first place.

I've been on the verge of turning my back on the British thrash metal scene for a long time exactly because of said Exodus/Slayer/Municipal Waste copycat acts, not to mention the ego that so many (unsigned) bands have.
Everything sounds a lot like everything at this point.

Play the music you love. Listen to the music you love. That should be enough for anyone who loves music, whether they write it or not.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by postmortem2006
I've been saying this for years. If you really feel compelled to sound like a band you enjoy, then make that band one that did something different in the first place.

This.

Or try avoid sounding completely like a band you enjoy and be different. Many bands can't do this and it drives me crazy for some reason.

@strat0blaster: The thrash and power metal scene is filled with generic acts that state this :/ But it's still a good philosophy though :P
Last edited by powermetalrules at Jan 20, 2012,
Music doesn't have to be original to be good as long as it is executed well and with conviction. You say it like it is easy to write very original music that hasn't been done before, I'd like to see you try.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano
Music doesn't have to be original to be good as long as it is executed well and with conviction. You say it like it is easy to write very original music that hasn't been done before, I'd like to see you try.
Backed hard.
Quote by illuminatiano

It's not very easy, I have tried myself but I failed hard, sorry if I say it in such a way! But it was more meant as a statement that I believe these genres are becoming more filled with bands that can do way better, and have a little difference in them!
Quote by illuminatiano

This

besides, everyone knows that no matter how original you think you are, Tony Iommi has probably done it before.

And he only got that stuff from musicians before him. the riff from Black Sabbath are the exact notes to a different song but slowed down.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
This

besides, everyone knows that no matter how original you think you are, Tony Iommi has probably done it before.

And he only got that stuff from musicians before him. the riff from Black Sabbath are the exact notes to a different song but slowed down.

That's true :P It was just ... frustration that got me on this topic ...
Quote by powermetalrules
It's not very easy, I have tried myself but I failed hard, sorry if I say it in such a way! But it was more meant as a statement that I believe these genres are becoming more filled with bands that can do way better, and have a little difference in them!

And besides, this is simply not true.

To tell me that someone like Electric Wizard sounds exactly like Black Sabbath or Pentagram or Saint Vitus and doesn't have any difference at all, you're sorely mistaken.

To say Skeletonwitch(I know there's some mixed feelings on here about them) sound exactly like Slayer, is wrong.

To say that Disma sounds exactly like Morbid Angel is wrong.

Etc.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
And besides, this is simply not true.

To tell me that someone like Electric Wizard sounds exactly like Black Sabbath or Pentagram or Saint Vitus and doesn't have any difference at all, you're sorely mistaken.

To say Skeletonwitch(I know there's some mixed feelings on here about them) sound exactly like Slayer, is wrong.

To say that Disma sounds exactly like Morbid Angel is wrong.

Etc.

I'm not saying every band in an sub genre sounds exactly the same (if I did I didn't mean it that way). I say that there are MANY of them that does sound too similar. There are bands that stand out, but that is USUALLY the bands that invented a genre, but of course there are gonna be underground bands that do, but I haven't checked every band in the world out either! :P
Quote by powermetalrules
I'm not saying every band in an sub genre sounds exactly the same (if I did I didn't mean it that way). I say that there are MANY of them that does sound too similar. There are bands that stand out, but that is USUALLY the bands that invented a genre, but of course there are gonna be underground bands that do, but I haven't checked every band in the world out either! :P

There are bands in every genre that sound generic. That's just going to happen, not everyone has talent. It's also very hard to write a truly original song. The best you can do is look for the shining gems in the sea of turds. It's really not as hard as it sounds.
To kind of recapitulate what everybody has been saying; to make something new, you pretty much have to rely heavily on what has been tried and true.

In science, for instance, the foundation of new hypotheses is old research. Can't form new colors without existing colors.
Quote by illuminatiano

Definately, there are many bands who took another band's formula and improved on it
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Ironic Maiden
There are bands in every genre that sound generic. That's just going to happen, not everyone has talent. It's also very hard to write a truly original song. The best you can do is look for the shining gems in the sea of turds. It's really not as hard as it sounds.

But I think we need some more shining gems instead of this sea of turds that rather spawns ... I try to make something different myself atm, to become a gem, but atm I am more of a turd x)

@Ziggy V: I have been into metal for over 4 years. I listen to all metal, and I've seen Iron Maiden and Metallica live
Quote by powermetalrules
But I think we need some more shining gems instead of this sea of turds that rather spawns ... I try to make something different myself atm, to become a gem, but atm I am more of a turd x)

@Ziggy V: I have been into metal for over 4 years. I listen to all metal, and I've seen Iron Maiden and Metallica live

To say "I think there should be more good music" is kind of a non-statement really
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Ziggy V
You haven't been into metal very long, have you, powermetalrules?

There's two ways to take this :|

Either as an insult to metal or insult to the guy, numbnuts
Philosophy > Life
Quote by ChemicalFire
To say "I think there should be more good music" is kind of a non-statement really

I never thought about my statement as that, but I realize it's basically the statement I made xD

Anyway ... maybe it's just me that need a new band to listen to. I have only listened the top bands of a sub genre. I have heard of some underground bands, but they didn't "click" like the inventors did :P
Quote by powermetalrules
I never thought about my statement as that, but I realize it's basically the statement I made xD

Anyway ... maybe it's just me that need a new band to listen to. I have only listened the top bands of a sub genre. I have heard of some underground bands, but they didn't "click" like the inventors did :P

What are some "top bands" of say, Melodic Death Metal and what you perceive as their top albums?

These are the questions that must be asked!
Quote by Morphogenesis26
What are some "top bands" of say, Melodic Death Metal and what you perceive as their top albums?

These are the questions that must be asked!

Top Melodic Death Metal bands are (for me) 1. Children of Bodom with all albums their best because I can't pick just one, 2. Norther with "N" as their best album, 3. In Flames with Whoracle and The Jester Race as best albums, 4 Insomnium with Across the Dark as their best album. Those are the melodeath bands I listen the most.

Other bands that I just listen to sometimes, where I can't name a best album yet, are Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy. Can I throw in Ensiferum too since Petri is no longer with Norther? :P I know they are folk metal tho :P
Last edited by powermetalrules at Jan 21, 2012,
The thing is that Vehemence is pretty much one of the best Melodic Death Metal bands ever. Children of Bodom are terrible and most of the bands your mentioned are more Melodeath than Melodic Death.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I take it you are a big fan of the leads by those bands, correct?

Naildown
Omnium Gatherum
Into Eternity

Those would probably tickle your fancy. I'm not really a knowledgeable person on those bands and ones to recommend, just never cared for that lead oriented Melodeath.

^I wouldn't say Vehemence are the best, they blend intensity and consonant Melody extremely well, but that still doesn't make them the best.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The thing is that Vehemence is pretty much one of the best Melodic Death Metal bands ever. Children of Bodom are terrible and most of the bands your mentioned are more Melodeath than Melodic Death.

Wtf? "most of the bands your mentioned are more Melodeath than Melodic Death."

Vehemence is okay ...
Melodeath is the name given to the sounds that basically sound like a heavier Iron Maiden; it's an unofficial thing but it makes things a little easier to work out as Vehemence and In Flames sound nothing alike. There's nothing wrong with it, just pointing out that there's more to the genre than just bands like that, shows there's always something different in a genre.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by powermetalrules

Vehemence is okay ...

There's a ridiculous effort around here to differentiate between melodic heavy metal (melodeath) and melodic death metal (death metal with more melody than usual). While true, it's an unnecessarily pedantic distinction.

Vehemence, however awesome, seem to get fellated at the wrong times as well.

People are usually stupid.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by powermetalrules

Vehemence is okay ...

He means they take cues for other genres like Heavy Metal as much or more so than Death Metal. Most people here tend to call them Melodeath and the more DM oriented bands Melodic Death Metal.

Some good MDM bands..

Vehemence
Intestine Baalsim
Quo Vadis
Dismember(>:[ don't question it, look up Death Metal onward for their MDM work)
Carcass

I hate myself for forgetting bands like Cenotaph, Eucharist, and Sentenced. I deserve pain. ;_;
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Jan 21, 2012,
Black Dahlia Murder?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Morphogenesis26
He means they take cues for other genres like Heavy Metal as much or more so than Death Metal. Most people here tend to call them Melodeath and the more DM oriented bands Melodic Death Metal.

Some good MDM bands..

Vehemence
Intestine Baalsim
Quo Vadis
Dismember(>:[ don't question it, look up Death Metal onward for their MDM work)
Carcass

My mind is blank for some reason right now, so best thing for you to do is look at the Rec thread.

Ah, I see. I tend to lean more on Melodeath than MDM :P But Carcass out of those are good, I haven't checked out the rest yet, but will do