Hello GG&A,

The story of my amp; I have an ENGL Fireball that hisses a lot and it's not just the natural hiss, but a very annoying persistent hiss when you're not playing. This isn't only the case with a cable plugged in, even without a guitar wired up, there's the hiss, just barely audible. I can get somehow mute it with noisegates, but the noise really shouldn't be there in the first place.

Last year I took it to an amp tech who checked it for me and replaced the tubes and it worked fine again.. for one hour and all hell started again. I'm a bit fed up with this thing now, because after that I took it again and he checked it again, but now the wiring and it seemed fine, but when I took it home, the damage was still there. What the hell is wrong with my amp? Please help

tl;dr:
- Amp hisses/crackles, badly. With guitar in it gets MUCH worse.
- Tubes have just been replaced, can't be them.
- Same goes for speaker cables.
- Is it the amp, or might it be the speaker cabinet?
- If so, what is wrong and where?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Many things can cause amp hiss. I had a Marshall that hissed because it had some busted knobs and a shitty input jack. It could also be static built up in the ground wires. If I were you I'd take it to a store that has experience repairing vintage equipment, those guys tend to be way more knowledgeable than...well...just about everyone else.
Does the hiss change at different places, or even when plugged in different plugs? It could be the grounding
It is worse than ground hiss, but, yes. I suppose it does change a bit. The hiss is so loud that it sometimes drowns the sound of the guitar, when playing at a respectable volume. This is without a noise gate, with which I can mute it.
Quote by rob904
It could also be static built up in the ground wires.

Huh?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Only thing I can tell you for sure is, if you can mute it with the noise gate, the power amp section is fine. So it's got to be something with the pre, or anything before it. You sure all the pre tubes were changed too? (the 12AX7s I think). Another thing... do you get the hiss on clean?
Quote by Coolvortex
Only thing I can tell you for sure is, if you can mute it with the noise gate, the power amp section is fine. So it's got to be something with the pre, or anything before it. You sure all the pre tubes were changed too? (the 12AX7s I think). Another thing... do you get the hiss on clean?

Yes to both. The hiss is so loud that it drowns the sound of the guitar. As aid before I can mute it with noise gates, one before the amp, one in the effects loop. The one before the amp seems to do more though, but when I play anything on the guitar, all the hiss comes through again.