I'm found a deal on a the hot plate 16 ohm and a Marshall powerbrake I found them for about 130 dollars each. Which one should i get ima be using a 100 watt marshall head but not all tge way on ten maybe like on 7 but im not gonna attenuate all the way down its still gonna be loud
I don't mean to be a dick, but could you perhaps make your post a little more coherent?

Some Marshalls sound better with the powerbrake than the hotplate. I own a hotplate and I'm not that thrilled with it, but I can't complain because I only paid $140 for it. It sounds ok until you start bringing it down more than -8 dB. I don't turn my head to 10 either, most Marshalls stop getting louder once you get to 6-7 and only get dirtier and more overdriven.

What 100 watt Marshall are you looking at specifically?
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 20, 2012,
Depending on what kind of levels you need, a hotplate will probably work better, but I have heard of people liking the power-brake with certain amps.

That being said, as far as bringing a 100 watt amp down to band practice levels, your amp's volume knob will work best for that. Honestly, I don't see the big fuss if I were you. A JVM sounds just fine without being revved up all the way. But if you insist on getting one, then I'd go for the hotplate.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Personally, I don't believe in using attenuator to bring down a super cranked big amp to low levels..
Now if you were playing at a gig, and wanted to bring your amp down a few decibels, that I can see.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Weber speaker motor attenuators.

Agreed. Unless you are going to spend for an Aracom or something, most attenuators sound like shit once you bring the volume down to "reasonble" levels with a 100 watt amp.

The funny thing about attenuators is that cutting decibels does not really make a noticeable difference to you. I swear if I cut 4 or 8 dB off my amp, I can barely hear the difference if I'm standing by myself playing the amp. The only time I CAN tell the difference is if I'm with a band, no attenuation or -4 dB, I drown everyone out, -8 I sit ok in the mix.
So OK now I'm pretty sure about the hot plate but if I wanted to go down to bedroom levels would the power brake be more notice able volume change since it can minus 30 db and the hot plate can only do 16db? Not really my main concern just a question.
You don't play a JVM to get power tube breakup! You do not need an attenuator! Use the Master Volume Knob!
You don't get the same tone or sustain on 2 or 3 as you do on 5 or 6 so the mv thing doesn't work
So about the Weber attenuators which do you perfer? I looked at the mass200 and the mass 100w I didn't really like the idea about having the bass and high controls for the volume,but I haven't used it so I'm not sure if I would be finew with those models that do that(mass III mass 150 and mass light 100w)
Yea the mass 100 has a actual volume control and tone controls others have don't though. Like the mass150 it use has low-mids and high-mids thats it you use both of those to control your volume and tone so i was saying i dont its as easy as themass100 or200..
I can imagine myself using an attenuator on a JVM on stage if i wanted to pull Gary Moore type tones or Zep or anybody else that used power amp distortion. Gain down, volume up and then use the attenuator to match the drummer's volume. That is what attenuators are supposed to be used for. Unfortunately a lot of kids think they are for turning a big gigging amp into a bedroom amp - wrong.
The power brakes are pretty good if used the way I described. If you can get one cheap enough it will do the deed. A Weber would be better but you're going to pay for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I want to use it properly and not turning the amp up and attenuating the volume all the way down to bed room. I wanna use it on stage or practicing so I don't drown out anybody
Then a power brake will work fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jose1216
So OK now I'm pretty sure about the hot plate but if I wanted to go down to bedroom levels would the power brake be more notice able volume change since it can minus 30 db and the hot plate can only do 16db? Not really my main concern just a question.
The hot plate goes all the way down to completely silent. There is a step wise switch from -4, -8, -12, -16 and once you get to -16, there is a knob going from -16 to -infinity, which is basically just turns the hotplate into a load box. But if you are attenuating to those levels, you might as well turn the master volume down instead of using the attenuator. It sounds absolutely atrocious. I use my hotplate for -4 and -8. Sometimes -12 for practice (in which I still sometimes wear ear plugs, and my amp is 50 watts). Anything lower than that I'll just turn the volume down and use an OD pedal.

Turning your amp to 10 and then attenuating down to -16 dB does not result in cranked tone at bedroom levels, it results in thin, compressed and raspy sound.