So, i want to change the pickups to my Squier SE ( NOTE: I know, it's not worth spend a lot of money on it, but I can't afford big wastes).

I heard about DragonFire and GFS pickups.

Are they good for their price? do you recommend it?

PS: Changing the electronics makes a big tone difference?

cumpz
Last edited by meco66 at Jan 20, 2012,
Changing the pickups can make a mild difference to a huge one depending on what your switching out, they are ultimately what effects your guitar's plugged in tone the most.

I assume your talking about the evolution pickups, yes they are quality pickups however it's pretty difficult to tell you if they are right for you.

You have to ask yourself what type of music do you want to play, is your guitar useable ( scale length, types of wood etc.) may effect what you can and can't put the pickups in.

You need to sit down and consider exactly what you need, or would like to enhance in your guitar before you go shopping for new electronics.

If you still need more help picking out potential pups, email or call Dimarzio they are really good at assisting in the process.
GFS, Dragonfire (not force ), Irongear, and a few other places are pretty good for making cheap but still decent quality pickups..I'd say they're worth it if you don't want to spend a bunch of money

What amp do you play through though? getting new pickups won't do much through a bad amp, but they'll make quite the difference on a good amp
Yes dragonfire, my bad

I'm playing in Vypyr 15w

What I want to play it's like heavy rock and some blues distortion ( hendirx, mayer, etc)
Well I haven't really looked into those pickups so I can't speak for them, I think james was talking to me about the dragonforce thing (the Evo pickups are what hermin lee uses).

Back on topic the 15w is a decent little bedroom amp and you should hear some improvement but the pickups won't really shine unless you had something a bit higher end.
i upgraded my se special and she was my main electric for 5 years

EDIT- hendrix and mayer used single coils so you could look into GFS singles, they even have a RW middle pickup
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Jan 20, 2012,
I know, but hendrix and mayer are not my priority, it was just an example to explain my versatility...

Anyway, if you have other alternatives you are free to tell

Iron, what did you change in yours?
Last edited by meco66 at Jan 20, 2012,
On a more serious note, I recommend GFS. I got a pair for my axe and I'm amazed at the improvement for $70. I've heard bad things about their pre-wired pickguards though, and they are kinda suspiciously underpriced even for GFS. They have the "lil killer" and "lil puncher" which are like hot rails, a single coil sized humbucker. If the body is routed for a full-size humbucker under the pickguard, then I'd get a proper hss pickguard with a proper humbucker, but if not, just go for the rail types.
But from this brands, you recommend GFS, right?

There any difference form a rail to a humbucker?
well, the "lil killer"/"lil puncher" are technically humbuckers, just in a smaller casing. Since they're less wide than a normal full size humbucker, you get a bit less bass and definition. I recommend GFS, but they're the only company of those you mentioned which I have used. They also respond fairly quickly (1-2 days) to emails if you have more questions.
I have used several GFS pickups the Fat Pat, Lil' Puncher, Dream 180, VEH and all have been pretty nice pickups.

So GFS gets my vote. also change the pots and switch out while your at it, you will notice a big diffrence.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I will send a e-mail to GFS....

Do you recommend any type of pots or something like that? I have no knowledge about that

cumpz
if you get single coil pickups, most use 250k pots, humbuckers normaly get 500k pots. This is not set in stone, and you can like a more unconventional set-up. I use 500k volume pots and 250k tone pots on some guitars.

You may also want to look at the locking tuners on the GFS site, you can get them for $32ish and they will help imensly with your tuning stability.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate