Well, me and my band are recording soon!
Then shows should come soon after that.
Thing is, we're just a group of friends having a good time and "jamming" overall.
We're not really interested in adding a stranger to our family. Get what I'm saying?

With that said, we just decided that I should backtrack second guitar (that's what the stranger would of filled in on).

To do that my guess is:

1. When I record, I have to ask the engineer to send me the guitar track file

2. Hook my laptop in on the show's PA system

3. Let our drummer handle all the stuff that will be done on the laptop. (Playing the song, pausing, all that.)

Is it that simple? Is there any other more reliable ways to do it?
I mean, what if the laptop freezes or something.

Could you maybe set the guitar track on one of those pads that make the 808 bass drops?

Any software that specializes in this?

Any tips are appreciated!

By the way, before I get flamed..
Many good bands backtrack second guitar.
Come on, we're just wanting to keep real friends in the band!
Not strangers.

My favorite backtracking guitar band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtl5VjEdMhU
Last edited by EltonHurtado at Jan 20, 2012,
One way to do it to keep in time is to make the file stereo so say the left side has just the guitar and the right side has the guitar AND a click track. That way, the drummer will know how to stay in time. When it comes to the PA, just pan the click track side to the drummers headphones and then pan the other side to the speakers.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by itamar100
Buy a looper.

Hmm. Good idea!
But my main concern is that loopers aren't really meant to work with full songs.
Or maybe because my vision of a looper is a looping pedal. Would be trouble some finding each track and all that with just your foot.

Is there other type of loopers? wouldn't that pretty much be like the pads drummers use? The ones that got all those samples and stuff.

Ehh, I never knew there'd be so many methods! Just want the most reliable and simple one though. I'll keep a looper in mind!
Looprers are very functional these days. Boss and Digitech make loopers that can store 5 or more songs and have a pedal for each one. Digitech in particular are capable of very long record times with their Jamman.

It won't come close to having an actual guitarist there though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by leony03
One way to do it to keep in time is to make the file stereo so say the left side has just the guitar and the right side has the guitar AND a click track. That way, the drummer will know how to stay in time. When it comes to the PA, just pan the click track side to the drummers headphones and then pan the other side to the speakers.

+1

Exactly how I'd do it. You've got to make sure the drummer can hear it otherwise things could go terribly wrong.

Don't need a laptop though. You can either use an ipod or simply burn it to a CD. Just gotta remember to pause between tracks.