I am going to finally release my first "full band" original song, but I don't want to mess up editing the vocal track, even if it is my first time.

I'm recording through an SM57 and a double-pop filter through a Presonus Firestudio to Reaper. Currently I have just been messing around with Blockfish compressor and compressed it a lot, so that the vocal stands out. I'm not sure if I did it too much though or if it's just that I'm not a professional in a studio and the vocals just sound that way (It has a very slight feeling of it going through a megaphone, but it's much less drastic that an actual megaphone effect, if that makes any sense). I also did a high pass filter.

Really though I don't know what I'm doing. Have any of you guys ever mixed/edited vocals? What are some methods you use?
Depends on the kind of music and the kind of vocals. We need to know this before we can really give you any suggestions.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
One thing I recommend is doing multiple takes with the same pre-amp setting and take the best lines of each song and create a "best take". For example:This line is better on this take but the next is better on the next. Try to read up on slip editing as well on mess ups.

A high pass is going to make the megaphone effect worse. I believe a band pass creates a megaphone effect and with a high pass you are losing even more frequencies. A general rule on cheaper mics for vocals I find is cut some of the lows, cut a tiny bit in the mids, and boost the presence. Boosting presence maybe an issue since your using a dynamic mic though and you may get too much room.

Just experiment and you will figure it out. Vocal compression you have to be careful with not to overdo here are a few things you should check out.

Simple EQing (these are just ideas not laws and may not work well on a SM57 (I have never used one for vocals): http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm
Compression: http://www.audio-production-tips.com/audio-compressor.html
Quote by MatrixClaw
Depends on the kind of music and the kind of vocals. We need to know this before we can really give you any suggestions.

This one is a pop-punk song with all clean singing except for a few yells (like "Go!")

Quote by FireHawk
One thing I recommend is doing multiple takes with the same pre-amp setting and take the best lines of each song and create a "best take". For example:This line is better on this take but the next is better on the next. Try to read up on slip editing as well on mess ups.

A high pass is going to make the megaphone effect worse. I believe a band pass creates a megaphone effect and with a high pass you are losing even more frequencies. A general rule on cheaper mics for vocals I find is cut some of the lows, cut a tiny bit in the mids, and boost the presence. Boosting presence maybe an issue since your using a dynamic mic though and you may get too much room.

Just experiment and you will figure it out. Vocal compression you have to be careful with not to overdo here are a few things you should check out.

Simple EQing (these are just ideas not laws and may not work well on a SM57 (I have never used one for vocals): http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm
Compression: http://www.audio-production-tips.com/audio-compressor.html

How do I boost presence in Reaper? (Is it the same as turning up the track fader?)

Also I'm checking out those links now, thanks
Last edited by Tmusician at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by Tmusician

How do I boost presence in Reaper? (Is it the same as turning up the track fader?)

Also I'm checking out those links now, thanks

Presence is added or subtracted through equalization. If you open the EQ (I think its ReapEQ or something like that in reaper?) and boost everything above 5khz
Quote by FireHawk
Presence is added or subtracted through equalization. If you open the EQ (I think its ReapEQ or something like that in reaper?) and boost everything above 5khz

Oh yeah in ReaEQ there is a "Gain" bar at the side and I'm pretty sure that's it. There's actually a pretty good difference already, I can turn off and on the EQ and it's noticeably better (I cut a bit around 400Hz and 800Hz, got rid of the high-pass, and increased "Gain" by 5)

Edit: How about Reverb? There's a ReaVerb plug-in stock but it doesn't make sense to me. Are there any other good ones out there?
Last edited by Tmusician at Jan 21, 2012,