I read about a guy from Manchester earlier this week who got away with a 12-month suspended sentence and a spot of community service for GBH, despite the severity of the attack, because it was his first offence. I found that in itself pretty appalling but I just read a follow-up on the BBC news website that says his sentence cannot be reviewed. The reason being that they can't prove he meant to cause any harm when he kicked the guy's head until his brain was bleeding and put him in hospital for a month.

Here's the article

Jesus boiled an egg.

Am I missing something or is it general opinion that it's OK to kerb-stomp someone and pretend you didn't know it would cause damage because it was your first time? I think I may have to head over to the Crown Court and shit in a letterbox to show my disapproval.
Damn.

The CPS is rather dense.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by KeepOnRotting
kerb-stomp

kerb-stomp
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Our legal system is a joke, we are to soft on crime. Makes me ashamed to be English.
Soft touch country, cant wait to leave
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by Spud Spudly
What the heck is a wheelie bin?

A bin with wheels

Ala:
Quote by Spud Spudly

Stuff likes this reminds me how weird our names are for things.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Spud Spudly

I think we'd be better off completely remodeling our justice system to be based more on rehabilitation and less on punishment and revenge.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by Stugg334
Stuff likes this reminds me how weird our names are for things.

That isn't a weird name! It's a bin with wheels which is always pulling a wheelie. It is a wheelie bin.
hello
ITT: Wheelie bin, and some OT stuff.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by opc100
That isn't a weird name! It's a bin with wheels which is always pulling a wheelie. It is a wheelie bin.

I didn't realise I'd offended avid wheelie bin fans. I'm british, still think it sounds like something 5 year olds should play with. A wheel bin, perhaps. Rollerbin. Binmobile. Wheeled bin. Bin-trolley. Rubbish-car. All preferable.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Stugg334
I didn't realise I'd offended avid wheelie bin fans. I'm british, still think it sounds like something 5 year olds should play with. A wheel bin, perhaps. Rollerbin. Binmobile. Wheeled bin. Bin-trolley. Rubbish-car. All preferable.

But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Stugg334

Binmobile? I may have to call my wheelie bin the Binmobile from now on.
hello
Quote by Badass UltraMan
I read about a guy from Manchester earlier this week who got away with a 12-month suspended sentence and a spot of community service for GBH, despite the severity of the attack, because it was his first offence. I found that in itself pretty appalling but I just read a follow-up on the BBC news website that says his sentence cannot be reviewed. The reason being that they can't prove he meant to cause any harm when he kicked the guy's head until his brain was bleeding and put him in hospital for a month.

Here's the article

Jesus boiled an egg.

Am I missing something or is it general opinion that it's OK to kerb-stomp someone and pretend you didn't know it would cause damage because it was your first time? I think I may have to head over to the Crown Court and shit in a letterbox to show my disapproval.

nope.

They can't review the sentence because he plead guilty to a particular offence (which happened to have no requirement of intent to cause GBH). Not because they couldn't prove the other one.

Presumably they chose to accept the lesser admission to save everyone (the offender, the victim and the courts) the hassle of going through a full trial. And even if they did choose to go to trial, proving that the offender intended to cause grievous bodily harm is a difficult thing to do. Especially when the attack happened as a result of an argument.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by opc100
Binmobile? I may have to call my wheelie bin the Binmobile from now on.

Give it a cape. And a nemesis.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Proving intent shouldn't be that hard. If the victim died then it may not have been the intent to kill the guy, but it's obvious the intent was to cause grevious bodily harm. Unless he tickled him or something.
Quote by TEK34
No, a garbage can is a wheelie bin without wheels.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend the British trash collection system. Or something.
Quote by Spud Spudly
I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend the British trash collection system. Or something.

You accidentally misspelled rubbish
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Spud Spudly

Rubbish collection.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Did I mention that my cousin took this picture?

Now please don't hit me.

Welcome aboard
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Thanks. I'm not kidding either. It was taken in my neighborhood too. From my house to that spot is like a ten minute walk.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Thanks. I'm not kidding either. It was taken in my neighborhood too. From my house to that spot is like a ten minute walk.

You can be an honorary Englishman, no idea why you'd want to though.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Proving intent shouldn't be that hard. If the victim died then it may not have been the intent to kill the guy, but it's obvious the intent was to cause grevious bodily harm. Unless he tickled him or something.

not really. grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm have different meanings. Grievous bodily harm suggests a certain level of harm. And just because someone causes that level of harm, does not mean they intend to cause that level of harm.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
not really. grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm have different meanings. Grievous bodily harm suggests a certain level of harm. And just because someone causes that level of harm, does not mean they intend to cause that level of harm.

I don't know why but the excessive use of the word 'harm' made me laugh like a priest with keys to the orphanage
See, I just can't split that hair. I conceded that someone might not mean to cause death, but that's it.

BTW, here if you punch someone with malicious intent and they fall down and crack their skull open and die you're probably going away for at least 15 years for manslaughter. Or if someone dies in the course of a felony, no matter how it happens, it's basically murder. So for example you rob an old man and he has a heart attack and drops dead, you're going away for a long time.
Quote by Spud Spudly
BTW, here if you punch someone with malicious intent and they fall down and crack their skull open and die you're probably going away for at least 15 years for manslaughter. Or if someone dies in the course of a felony, no matter how it happens, it's basically murder. So for example you rob an old man and he has a heart attack and drops dead, you're going away for a long time.

All that would never happen in the UK, the person who commited or murdered someone then they get so much more human rights than anyone else it seems like, well that's just my opinion anyway I may be totally wrong.
There was a case in Northampton fairly recently where a bloke punched a bloke from the Army on a night out, Army bloke died from the injury, IIRC the bloke who punched him didn't go to jail.
Quote by Spud Spudly
See, I just can't split that hair. I conceded that someone might not mean to cause death, but that's it.

If I push you, I don't necessarily intend for you to fall over, crack your head on a kerb and suffer brain damage causing impaired short term memory.

I'd probably be reckless as to the extent of injury my actions could cause, but I wouldn't intend to inflict GBH on you. And that's the crucial issue. Section 18 (the really serious offence with a potential life sentence) specifically states that intent to cause GBH is required.

That's not to say I agree with the sentence, I'm just correcting the error.

Quote by element4433
obviously it depends on the seriousness of the crime (the first time you're caught as a serial killer probably shouldn't lessen your sentence, but then again by definition a serial killer means it's not a first offence), but in principle i have no problem with a first offence getting you a lesser sentence. it's perfectly sensible, surely?

^ +1

Quote by Nathy137
All that would never happen in the UK, the person who commited or murdered someone then they get so much more human rights than anyone else it seems like, well that's just my opinion anyway I may be totally wrong.

are you in jail right now? because, er, unless you are, if you get done for murder you don't seem to have as many human rights as someone who hasn't committed a crime seeing as how, again er, you're in jail.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by TEK34
There was a case in Northampton fairly recently where a bloke punched a bloke from the Army on a night out, Army bloke died from the injury, IIRC the bloke who punched him didn't go to jail.

I don't quite see how the guy who died being an army guy makes a difference but anyway, quite right too. It's a punch. Unfortunately, it had repercussions beyond what one would normally expect, but I don't think that should mean a harsher punishment. I see prison as a means of rehabilitation, not as a punishment. A (presumably drunken) punch on a night out doesn't require much in the way of rehabilitation.
hello
As a law student, Ic an say that the English legal system is completely backwards. I don't like it. Unfortunately, sufficient reform will never be accomplished in my time as a living human being.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.