Good Day,

Im looking for a new head. I built a cab with 2 Celestion V30's and 2 G12T-75's that i'll be playing it through- it sounds great.
I will use this amp to play heavier stuff for the most part (Maiden, Metallica, Cannibal Corpse)
I really like the tones my Class 5 can do (without a boost), that old school crunchy stuff
I HAVE to have a semi-decent clean channel
My budget is no more than $800, I am of course willing to buy used.

I've been looking at Marshall DSL 50's a lot
Guitar Center has a boatload of used Mesa Boogies but i dont even know how to begin sorting through them.

I know you guys are the experts and will help me gather a few more ideas!
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Jet City, with a boost pedal should do the trick.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
If you like the tone of your Class 5, why look at Boogies?

The DSL would be pretty much do what you want:
Good cleans, organic Marshall crunch as well as high gain.
The shared EQ and lack of option to switch between clean/crunch can be pretty limiting if you are playing in a band or do gigs.
Maybe have a look at the Marshall JVM models as well.
Other than that you could try Jet City (JCA50/100), Blackstar (HT-100).

Actually you better just go to a store and try out whatever is in your price range.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Those bands all use pretty different gear, so getting a single head that will impersonate them all well in your budget will be tough.

A DSL100 or a Laney VH100R would be a good place to start, but neither would do CC very well. Arguably, any amp that can do CC well probably won't be good for Maiden or Metallica.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What do you guys think about a Mesa Boogie single rec? Im satisfied with teh metal tones but how are the cleans?
I don't like the Single Rec. IMO it's not really good for anything other than punk and it's subgenres.

EDIT: To throw out another suggestion, how about a Peavey JSX? I don't think you should get an amp with anything less than 3 channels. A high gain channel for Metallica/CC, but Maiden will need it's own dedicated channel that's crunchier and has more mids, and then one for cleans.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 20, 2012,
Quote by BarbaricJethro
What do you guys think about a Mesa Boogie single rec? Im satisfied with teh metal tones but how are the cleans?

It won't sound like any of the bands you want.
Cleans are at least OK though.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I've realized the distorted Mesa tones will probably suit me a little better than a DSL 50, my band used to play pretty heavy metal (think Necrophagist, but not nearly as good) and I still play with them every now and then. What do you guys think of a Tremoverb 50?
Marshall JVM1? Lol. Just found out about this line, and I can't stop thinking about them. Apparently JVM's have the most gain of all Marshalls. That with a boost should be sufficient.
Quote by StratR96
Marshall JVM1? Lol. Just found out about this line, and I can't stop thinking about them. Apparently JVM's have the most gain of all Marshalls. That with a boost should be sufficient.

No need for a boost at all actually.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Laney GH 50/TT 100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Laney GH 50

Not if he needs cleans.

Peavey XXX or JSX, put EL34's in it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
What do you guys think of the Mesa Boogie F-30/F-50? Im thinking it would suit my clean channel needs AND the gain channel will be able to do classic metal as well as death metal (with a boost)..... Thoughts?
im gonna say it, and god dammit no ones gonna stop me!

Crate BV
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
OK, I talked to a guy that used to own a Boogie F50 and F100, he said they were great amps but he couldnt stand the eq, something about how turning up the treble gives you more gain instead of more treble..... Anybody have some input on that topic?

Also, i played a Bogner Alchemist, i liked it but i couldnt use any pedals through it. If i boost it will I be able to get into the heavier stuff?
Look at a rectoverb its basically a single rec with better cleans and reverb.
And a single will do the tones your looking for lol its the same as a dual or triple rec gain wise, the differences are the single will be bassy as **** youll for sure need to boost it with a ts, itll also have a diff feel than a dual or triple, and the obvious itll have less headroom.

But Id highly recommend looking at a 2ch dual or triple rec, or a mark III or IV.
I owned a rectoverb its a very nice amp, its more amped towards cleans and crunch though, it will do high gain as it has a shit ton of gain but its better for cleans and crunch tones.
Thats why id look into 2 ch. rectos or a Mark III or IV

CC use triple rectos with a boss mt-2 in front of it live, at least the last time I seen them thats what they were using.
I recently seen a vid of them recording there new albulm using a deizel.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Jan 27, 2012,
Dont hate me dont hate me dont hate me... Bugera 333XL? I just ordered one, its till on the way but its pretty affordable with a lot of great distortion.
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!