My daughter is actually the player, but she's only 11, so I guess I'll be the one on here sucking up info.

We have been looking at some small tube amp heads & combos. Her current(& 1st) amp is a Line 6 Spyder IV 15 watt. We have been seriously looking at a Blackstar HT-5 head & the HT-408 4x8 cab. We played a Peavey Valve King 212 monday & she liked it too, but its a little out of my budget, so a 112 would be more affordable. She plays everything from the Beatles, Jason Maraz, newer country, & lots of metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden.

Looking to spend $500-$600 on this set up. Just don't know where to start or know much about amps, I DO know she likes the tube tone a lot better. She's only been playing a year & the Line 6 was great when she began playing, but she's progressing very rapidly & wants a better amp for her room( she likes it loud!) HELP!!!
Do you/does she need a head and cab?

Is she gigging?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
A ValveKing 112 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Also check out the Vypyr Tube 60. In case she progresses more and ends up changing styles altogether, the Vypyr can accommodate any genre or style you throw at it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Valveking 112?

Are you looking new or used?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
just bear in mind, if she has her heart set on tube, the blackstar is more of a hybrid amp. there are tubes in there (and it's a lot more tubey than those valvestate guffy things), but yeah. at least if she knows before she buys she can make an informed decision.

that being said (and bear in mind i haven't tried one), it might actually work fairly well for what she wants. the problem with most of the other low wattage tube amps is that they aren't really geared towards a wide range of different tones.

valveking would probably work (though i think the boost on it is solid state... it can be turned off, as far as i'm aware, though).

you used to be able to get traynors for the $600 mark, but they might be more expensive now. they'd be worth a look, i imagine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No gigging yet, she just turned 11. I just picked up a guitar for the first time in 17 years, when she started lessons 13 months ago. She definitely has a wide diversity of music taste's. She knows about 20+ songs she can play with the mp3 note for note, not counting the 'partial' songs, so I feels like she deserves a good amp. She has 3 guitars, so she needs a good amp or combo. Just don't know anything about amps.
No such thing as a free puppy.

Think of a valve amp like a pet. No, it doesn't need to be fed everyday or cleaned up after, but it does take responsibility and care. Is she (or you) ready for that?

I may suggest that if you do look at a valve amp, look at one that takes pedals well, has an FX loop, and can serve as a good platform for clean tones. Then all it will take to change the tones of the amp would be a pedal or two.
I'll second the vypyr tube. Should be able to snag a 60 used well under budget.

Maybe another guitar? . You can never have too many.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Up keep isn't a problem. I have 2 dogs, a supercharged mustang & am a diesel mechanic by trade, lol, so maintenance isn't a problem. I'll worry about a gigging amp when she gets that far. Just need a good sounding/clean/loud practice set up for the house, enough to piss mom off, ya know. Ha! She likes my buddy's 6505+ half stack, but that's not feesable right now.

So, throw me some suggestions to look at please!
Vox Night Train 15?

Maybe look into an AC15/30 with an overdrive if she wants to be able to do some more classic stuff.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by prochargedsnake
Up keep isn't a problem. I have 2 dogs, a supercharged mustang & am a diesel mechanic by trade, lol, so maintenance isn't a problem. I'll worry about a gigging amp when she gets that far. Just need a good sounding/clean/loud practice set up for the house, enough to piss mom off, ya know. Ha! She likes my buddy's 6505+ half stack, but that's not feesable right now.

So, throw me some suggestions to look at please!

I think she would do well with the Vyper Tube 60 as well. Lots of tones to explore, plenty loud and reasonably priced.

And you don't just have a rustang, you have a Cobra, amiright?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ either the vox nighttrain 15 or what i'm thinkin of...the marshall class 5. It could handle beatles, mraz, and some country pretty good i think. Hook up a good distortion pedal to it (i recommend something from fulltone) and it could possibly (never tried it) handle the metallica and iron maiden stuff. Just throwin an idea out.
I thought the Vyper was a solid state amp? Yes its a cobra. Garage queen!

Quote by Arby911
I think she would do well with the Vyper Tube 60 as well. Lots of tones to explore, plenty loud and reasonably priced.

And you don't just have a rustang, you have a Cobra, amiright?
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head
Avitar 2x12 cab with Celestion GT-75's

2013 MIM Fender P-Bass Gotoh bridge, SD 1/4 pups
USA made SWR Workman 15 combo
Quote by prochargedsnake
I thought the Vyper was a solid state amp? Yes its a cobra. Garage queen!

they make a tube version also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
not to solicit, but im selling my 212 valveking pm me if you interested...im in the u.s. stl, mo...im selling for less than half price new btw.
Quote by Robbgnarly
they make a tube version also.

ya tis a hybrid modeller thingy
suppose to be pretty good though..

TS you're very supportive parents for allowing your daughter to like it loud Though so where mine its great to have parents that don't mind you playing guitar loud

My mum actually complained because the better i got at playing the less loud i played... when i was rubbish i used to crank the crap out of it all the time then i got into recording and did most of it on modeller at not loud volumes at all but i digress..

Where abouts are you located you should get a nice amp for 500-600 used and i'm sure a few dudes could help you browse the used options in your area if you post where you live (no we're not stalkers )
I'm in charlotte, nc. I'm actually at a show now at Tremont music hall. My friends band opened the show tonight. Hawthorn heights just left the stage. My daughter likes a few bands here tonight so we had to bring her out. Not my kind of music, but I must say, hawthorn just rocked the club, extremely good live!! I'm a hair band/metal junkie, so is my daughter. But if she wants it loud, I got no problems with that, as long as she plays, I'll pay. She won the school talent show at christmas, played 'the evolution of music', a small compilation of songs from the 60's to today! I'll have to post up the video link later. I'm definitely a proud dad!
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

Peavey Tube Vypyr, without a doubt. I've seen the combo go for $300 used (even less I think), with the leftover money you could get here the Sanpera II, and she would have a killer setup.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by irnmadn88
EDIT: ^ He beat me to it.

No FX loop, but I like Marshalls...

Marshall Class 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzZpPc92GKk

You don't need an FX loop on a non-MV amp unless you are using old studio rack gear that needs line level to work properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I forgot to mention, she has a Pod 2.0 & FB4 pedal. Probably going to sell those though. So it looks like the Blackstar was mentioned, the ValveKing & the Vyper 60 tube. To the guy with the valveking for sale, PM me please. Any others I should be looking at in the $500-$600 range?
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

Maybe a used Peavey JSX combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just looked up the Peavey 60 tube on their web site. That's out. I don't want any modeling anything. Just tubes & gain like the blackstar & valve king. I have seen the blackstar HT-5 with 4x8 cab for about $550, with a 1 12 cab about $600 & the Valveking 112 for $399 . These were online prices, I'm sure the 2 local music shops would do better than that, (have a friend that works there) he sells me the Ernie Ball 9's for $3 a pk. So I'm sure he would cut me a break on an amp. He got my daughter her ART 600 for $447 new.
Tools of the trade..
2013 Les Paul LPJ
2014 Les Paul Government
Blackstar HT-20 head

Blackstars have a few solid state components in there clipping circuitry as mentioned so if you want "just tubes and gain"you should be eliminating those as well.

Theres a few guys here that are good with craigslist and the used market for america, i'm scottish so learning how to do all that would be pretty useless for helping a few americans on a forum when we already have a few guys that are good at it... I'll let them chime in with some good suggestions but you can probably get a very nice amp for that budget used.
Quote by Offworld92
A ValveKing 112 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Also check out the Vypyr Tube 60. In case she progresses more and ends up changing styles altogether, the Vypyr can accommodate any genre or style you throw at it.

+1

I've owned both of those amps and either would be a good choice for the diversity your daughter plays. I would consider getting a better speaker for the Valveking. It is a non-adjustable fixed bias amp so tubes are plug n play. No biggie. I also like the Traynor YCV50B recommendation.

I prefer the Vypyr 60 tones myself but that's just me.
A Traynor would be a fine choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
oh, as far as craigslist goes - there are some things worth looking at:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=200&maxAsk=700

Vox AC15, Crate Vintage Club 212, Egnater Tweaker, Vox AC50?, Crate Blue Voodoo combo, Jet City JH100 (needs a cab), Blackheart BH5, Valveking halfstack (sell the 412 cab and get a better 212), Plexi clone (needs cab).

I got my Vypyr 60 for $315 used. I have a few clips in my profile doing various stages of gain and one using individual pedals out front. I know you don't want a modeler and I totally get that and respect that. If you want a strait up tube amp then do that.
Look into getting a used Vox AC15. It'll overdrive well on its own, it takes pedals really well, and it should fall under your budget if it's a used model.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Personally I would get a Vox AC15C1 if I were in your shoes. New they are maybe $50 or so above your budget, but you should be able to find a used one pretty easily under budget. Give it a boost for moderate crunch, and a decent dirt pedal for the heavier stuff. Every time I play an AC15 I get a step closer to buying one. Plenty of volume to piss off mom as well. The only downside to it is that the 2 channels aren't footswitchable. Though an A/B switch can fix that.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
This all sounds a bit ludicrous for an 11 year old, frankly.

A versatile, compact amp like a Vox VT15, Vypyr or Peavey Envoy/Bandit is much, much more suitable. Especially for bedroom use/jamming.
Quote by kyle62
This all sounds a bit ludicrous for an 11 year old, frankly.

A versatile, compact amp like a Vox VT15, Vypyr or Peavey Envoy/Bandit is much, much more suitable. Especially for bedroom use/jamming.

He said she liked tube amps better, that he wanted no modelling amps, and that something loud was preferred... If she's as serious at playing as it sounds, I don't really see the problem buying an amp that she'll have, and use for a long time to come. Personally I'd rather spend $600 on an amp that will last practically forever than $300 on a modeller that will be upgraded in a year or two. Plus TS said she's already using a spider modeller... so dropping cash on another cheap practice amp seems like a waste to me.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Agree with that ^^^

311 mentioned somethig about a jet city 100. That's worth checking out too.

What about that new line 6 tube amp with 4 setings or w/e. Forgot what its called but would that work? Haven't tried it myself but seems nice.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
keep in mind she is young. her tastes will change and she will grow.

i mean like physically. her hands,strength, and size will change so much she will probably radically changed the guitars she likes and why. same with amps and music styles.

if you both are using it, fine. get something great that is diverse. i it is just for her, i would say get her something of decent quality but dont go all out. like i said - in 203 years she could want something total different....and so could you.

or, of you both are set on playing guitar long term, yo culd get a very versatile amazing boutique amp you both would never want to sell, and last you decades.

unfornately, going from beatles to metal is VERY diverse. it might take some searching. to get all the sounds and features you want.
^^ I doubt they'll be alive in 203 years but yes, what he said is true. A neck she likes now could be one she hates in say 2 years or so.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I fail to see where anyone has suggested an amp that would be considered "going all out"... everything listed so far is within TS's stated budget, and I don't really know why you would "grow out" of an amp. You can always have more than one if she decides something with a different sound is desireable.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by &baconstrips
acoustic guitar.

You're a real benefit to the forum...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by coolstoryangus
Blackstars have a few solid state components in there clipping circuitry as mentioned so if you want "just tubes and gain"you should be eliminating those as well.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?