Page 1 of 2
I know this is a little off topic but it does have to do with gear so don't smash me witH the ban hammer please. To get down to it I'm looking for a sedan or suv that can haul a 212 combo 412 cab and a couple guitars without too much effort. Fuel efficiancy is kinda a biggy, so nothing less than 20 hwy. It also has to be reliable, the road I live on could probably be considered off road on some parts. I can pay up to 4 grand in cash.

Tl;dr

Budget-4000 in cash

Type - sedan or suv 4wd not necessary.

Musts- room for 212 combo and 412 cab, 20 mpg hwy or better, and reliability.

Location - Oklahoma city or Dallas tx.

I've been looking at ford escapes, Hyundai Santa fe's, and Kia sportages. So does anybody use cars for hauling gear? And what would you look for in a "gear vehicle"? I can fit a lot in my moms monte Carlo but its very back breaking so I'd really like something I can load easily.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Jan 20, 2012,
this shouldn't even be alowed, but look for a used Chevy astro/GMC with a 4 cylinder(6 cyl gets 22 per gal hwy) Ford Astro is another choice, these are older, but are way cheeper to fix if something happens.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well the main criteria for it is hauling gg&a so I figured it probably wasn't the worst that's ever been done. Also is 97 THAT old? We had a 98 ford winstar with 260k mi and it ran clean as a whistle.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
the age has nothing to do with it, I have a 1975 K5 Blazer and except for the fact it gets 7 mile a gal, it runs better than my wifes 08 ford. If it runs good you'll be fine, just dont buy something with oil leaks, tranny slippage, ect and expect to go cross-country.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But could I find a decent explorer for under 4g?

Quote by Robbgnarly
the age has nothing to do with it, I have a 1975 K5 Blazer and except for the fact it gets 7 mile a gal, it runs better than my wifes 08 ford. If it runs good you'll be fine, just dont buy something with oil leaks, tranny slippage, ect and expect to go cross-country.

Oh ok, I was just saying that cause you said they were older, I guess I just didn't think of older by comparison.

Also reliability is important because of the dirt roads I live on, particularly the suspension because the roads have such bad washboards.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
vans have about the best suspension for hauling besides a 2500/3500 truck. I use a 98 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 to haul around 2 JBL JRX 125 speakers(2x15 cabs), Odessy 10 rac space with mixer mount, a Krank 4x12 cab and a tube head with a tote full of cables. so a small SUV would work fine for you. With the way the economy is you could get a nice late 90's Toyota 4 runner 4x4 for $2000 or less.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd just get a van? But if you really do have bad roads, a Ford Explorer or some kind of pickup (F150 maybe) with a cab/cover would be a good idea.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Terrible roads. That's why I'm not too sure about a van. Also I'm not very into trucks, seems like it would be harder to load plus I'd have to get a bed cover, it rains all the time here.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Get a Van.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Get creative dude.

I used to fit an ENGL head, 2 212 cabs and 4 guitars in hard cases into that little thing.

Did 50mpg too. Cost me the equivalent of $1200.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What is that? I like it.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
You won't find one in the states I don't think mate. It's a Nissan Micra with a 998cc engine.

If you go for a smaller car, domt expect to be able to carry passengers along with gear... or even keep your back seats in lol

I only posted it to show that you might be able to transport your gear with what you already have.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jan 20, 2012,
Look at a Honda Element. See what you think.

I have one. There are good and bad about it.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Get creative dude.

I used to fit an ENGL head, 2 212 cabs and 4 guitars in hard cases into that little thing.

Did 50mpg too. Cost me the equivalent of $1200.

I could see like 15 clowns pile out of that thing I don't think we have anything in the states that small (alowed on the highways)

EDIT: the steering wheel is on the wrong side
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 20, 2012,
Looks like an old Nissan Micra.

Hatchbacks are your friend. I've stuffed 2 4x12s 2 heads 4 guitars 2 pedalboards and a passenger into my VW Golf. You can get a hell of a lot into an old Civic hatch too and they're dirt cheap.
the vans that ford makes are more or less identical suspension-wise. an F150=E150, F250=E250, etc.

what do you drive now? pick up an enclosed trailer and get a hitch.

an explorer will not get your desired gas mileage. not too many larger vehicles in your price range are, except for the E150 with the V6, which may or may not be in your range may get the desired gas mileage.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by grungebaby
What is that? I like it.

DUDE. VW Golf. around me theyre easily in your budget.

Its actually probably going to be the same car I get and Im looking at the same price as you.

for your price you may even be able to score one with a deisel engine which would be awesome too.
Easy, get a Crown Vic. We literally fit an entire band into a '96 Vic. 4 big guys, full drum set, 2 half stacks, a bass combo, 3 guitar cases and a bass case. Sure we were super cramped and everyone (but the driver) had gear in their lap. But if it's just you and some gear it's really easy to get it in there. And they still get good mileage.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Easy, get a Crown Vic. We literally fit an entire band into a '96 Vic. 4 big guys, full drum set, 2 half stacks, a bass combo, 3 guitar cases and a bass case. Sure we were super cramped and everyone (but the driver) had gear in their lap. But if it's just you and some gear it's really easy to get it in there. And they still get good mileage.

haha crown vics are amazing! My friend works at a dealership, they use one as a shuttle, etc. They fit 4 tires in the trunk, its ridiculous.
Get a used loser cruiser (minivan) and quit stressing the suspension, they will handle plenty.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Apparently the us sucks for car selection, no Micra's and Ive never heard of crown Vic's. Also this will be my first car so yeah also in the south/Midwest in the way of used cars there's mostly like big trucks and the like, no small vws or anything like that.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
The United States sucks for car selection? Are you serious?

You've seen a million Crown Victoria's, I promise you that. It's THE cop car for a reason . You can fit like 6 full size guys in the trunk of these things, and another 5 inside it comfortably. 7 if you wanna squeeze.

Since you're American and us Americans like giant cars with power, you should consider the souped up bastard son of the Crown Vic.. the Mercury Marauder. It's a huge heavy car like the Vic, but it will outrun pretty much anything else made in the U.S. that you'll see on the highway. Ultimate sleeper and they're classy inside and out.

EDIT: Hey man there's nothing wrong with a truck. Try to find a newer Ford Ranger (1998 and up) with an extended cab. 4 bangers and V6's, both versions get great mileage for a truck and they hold up pretty well. You could fit guitars and whatnot in the extension part and throw the rest in the bed of the truck. If weather is an issue get a camper shell for it, or a bed cover if you lay things down.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 20, 2012,
Ohhh I feel stupid, I was thinking crown Vic as make/model. But never mind, I have seen a ton of them. And 6 guys? How easy are they to load?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Easier than any other car made in the last 20 years. If you're gonna haul something though, get a truck. That's what they're made to do. Haul things.

Well it is a model. Ford Crown Victoria, and it's siblings are the Mercury Grand Marquis and Marauder.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Well I thought crown was the make and Vic was the model, I didn't think of that being an abbreviation for crown Victoria. And as for trucks just not really my style, very sluggish and high feeling for my taste, Im picky but I'm about to drop 4 grand on this so might as well be something I like.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by Flux'D
The United States sucks for car selection? Are you serious?

You've seen a million Crown Victoria's, I promise you that. It's THE cop car for a reason . You can fit like 6 full size guys in the trunk of these things, and another 5 inside it comfortably. 7 if you wanna squeeze.

Since you're American and us Americans like giant cars with power, you should consider the souped up bastard son of the Crown Vic.. the Mercury Marauder. It's a huge heavy car like the Vic, but it will outrun pretty much anything else made in the U.S. that you'll see on the highway. Ultimate sleeper and they're classy inside and out.

EDIT: Hey man there's nothing wrong with a truck. Try to find a newer Ford Ranger (1998 and up) with an extended cab. 4 bangers and V6's, both versions get great mileage for a truck and they hold up pretty well. You could fit guitars and whatnot in the extension part and throw the rest in the bed of the truck. If weather is an issue get a camper shell for it, or a bed cover if you lay things down.

crown vics are nice, but are not that fast. i have built quite a few 4.6L's they have good potential, but stock, especially NPI are dogs. i had a '96 stang. nice car, but it was slow too.

not this.
but it fits a lot since it is gutted. and caged (not in this pic) doesn't make your fuel efficiency requirements around 5-6MPG. 12.1 in the 1/4 mile. but you could fit a lot considering that there is nothing in the car other than the drivers seat. she is now trailered.

or this
thats what i drive every day. its a 12.8-12.9. it gets 15. but i can fit two Orange PPC 2x12"s a head two guitars.

i put five rear ends in my dad's ranger that he used for construction. ****ing things chewed up axles and everything else. granted it hauled more weight than it should have.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Ford Transit van - or any other van of that sort of configuration.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
crown vics are nice, but are not that fast. i have built quite a few 4.6L's they have good potential, but stock, especially NPI are dogs. i had a '96 stang. nice car, but it was slow too.

Well yes, it's a giant heavy car. It's not gonna be a rocket by any measure. However the Marauder.. for being a stock landboat it flies. Also I wouldn't ever use a Ranger for construction work , it's a light duty truck. Which would be plenty fine for hauling around gear.

Also loading up an F body with gear would be a nightmare , it's hard enough just getting into the back seat. Let alone wrestling a 5150 combo or something back there.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 21, 2012,
The problem with the combi is that half the floorspace is taken up by the motor. A Ford Transit is the go. You can back them up to the loading bay and just roll everything in through the back door.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flux'D
Well yes, it's a giant heavy car. It's not gonna be a rocket by any measure. However the Marauder.. for being a stock landboat it flies. Also I wouldn't ever use a Ranger for construction work , it's a light duty truck. Which would be plenty fine for hauling around gear.

Also loading up an F body with gear would be a nightmare , it's hard enough just getting into the back seat. Let alone wrestling a 5150 combo or something back there.

that ranger did do pretty good. only other thing was a trans, but with the rear end hit 250k miles or so IIRC.

i took the back seat out a few years ago, and haven't put it in. i can get more than you would think in it.

even a ford taurus is pretty spacious, my mom has one, 2004 IIRC. its been a decent car. i don't know what they sell for though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You don't really need a truck, or a super small death trap car to haul some stuff in. When I haul all my crap with me, I usually put it all in the back seat of my ext cab pickup, not in the bed.

I'd recommend a 4 door Honda Civic, great cars, good gas mileage, and lots of trunk space.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You don't really need a truck, or a super small death trap car to haul some stuff in. When I haul all my crap with me, I usually put it all in the back seat of my ext cab pickup, not in the bed.

I'd recommend a 4 door Honda Civic, great cars, good gas mileage, and lots of trunk space.

good recommendation but they sell for more than they should on the used market IMO. the nissan altima has a decent sized trunk.

one car worth mention are Buick Lesabres, they have HUGE trunks. go cheap. have a good V6 motor in it. one of GM's better six bangers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
good recommendation but they sell for more than they should on the used market IMO. the nissan altima has a decent sized trunk.

one car worth mention are Buick Lesabres, they have HUGE trunks. go cheap. have a good V6 motor in it. one of GM's better six bangers.

You mean the 3.8's with the hollow cam shafts? I pulled a snapped cam out of a Monte Carlo with a 3.8 in it. Bent every single valve in the heads.

That is true about the Honda's though.
Page 1 of 2